Any Runners? Newbie runner!

Options
2»

Replies

• ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've found that Carson says pretty much everything I'm thinking when it comes to running, and with a lot more diplomacy.

You need to get some miles on those legs and find out if you even like it, much less can handle the pounding and time sacrifice that entails running a marathon.

I took up running in 85 and it wasn't until early 89 before I felt that I was ready to run a marathon. Of course, I set ambitious goals of low 3 hours (which is what we did back in the day) and had at least 4 half marathons and 20K's in the books by then.

Take your time.
    That's very ambitious for a first race. There are plenty of other challenging distances that are shorter than the marathon. I suggest that one be running an average of 25 to 30 miles per week for a year to 18 months prior to starting an 18 week marathon training program.

Doing too much too fast frequently results in injury.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Ive been on a weight loss journey since January and im quite pleased with what ive done, but I wanted to take it further and I signed up for a marathon!! Huge challange for me.

Since entering the world of running a month ago its much more complicated than I thought, the right trainer, clothing, food, training plan.....

Basicaly Im confused by some of the termanology and looking for some freinds for advice along the way. Im under no illusion this is going to be easy but I want to do it!

First thing I need help with is the best trainners? Please add me if you think you can help!

thanks
    Gillian xx

Gosh a woman after my own heart.... :heart:

I started running as part of a weight loss program... knew nothing whatsoever about the subject but it seemed reasonable to me that if the largest muscles in the human body were in the legs, I would need to engage them to get results. I had every pound to lose and everything to gain.

I started my weight loss journey 5+ years ago in January. I went from 325 pounds to 240 in the span of 11 months and ran the Honolulu Marathon. It too was my first race.

Since then my weight has plateaued at 225 but my percentage of body fat has declined significantly.

Since then I have completed numerous half and full marathons and was contracted to coach running clinics for the Running Room. Feel free to add me so you can ask me any questions you may have.

Cheers!
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I like Hal Higdon's "Marathon" book. It goes over all the basics for first time marathoners with free training plans online.

I've been running for a little over a year and am signed up for my first marathon in January (which will put my first marathon at about a year and a half after I started running). I can't wait!
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    A. Shoes, of which you seem to be aware.

B. If you haven't started already, run outside. As entertaining as it would be to run a group marathon on treadmills, that doesn't seem likely.

C. Shoes. Find a good local running store and show them how much they're going to love you and how much you're going to hate them. There are different shoes for different arch types, and all that jazz.

D. If you're in a well-populated area, there's probably a running club. Those things spring up like weeds. Join and find a training buddy.

E. For the love of your knees, get fitted for the right shoes. WalMart is not going to cut it. Neither are most department stores. You can find what you need and buy them online cheaper if you must.
  • tiggerdug
    tiggerdug Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyones sugestions, Im going to order the books and track down as good shop for shoes.

I know it seems crazy to do a marathon first time but I like a challange and Im all or nothing kinda girl. I have signed up to do it, got my place and will be doing it. Im hopeing to raise as much money for my favourite charity and I hope people will realise what im putting myself through to do that.

I think any one can do anything they put their mind too.

Edinburgh 2014 here I come!
  • soniabogonia
    soniabogonia Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Best advice I can give is

-you should NOT run every single day
    -if you feel an injury coming take a day off
    -if you get injured, stop training (don't run through the pain)
    -hydrate well, drink water on your long run, 7+ miles
    -go to a running store so they can fit you for proper shoes
    -lift weights on the days you don't run, you want to strengthen your abs, arms, back, legs.... a strong body will make you a more efficient runner
    -enjoy your outdoor runs
    -keep going... YOU CAN DO IT!

=)
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyones sugestions, Im going to order the books and track down as good shop for shoes.

I know it seems crazy to do a marathon first time but I like a challange and Im all or nothing kinda girl. I have signed up to do it, got my place and will be doing it. Im hopeing to raise as much money for my favourite charity and I hope people will realise what im putting myself through to do that.

For most races you can change to a shorter distance, there is probably a half marathon option.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I have a half on Oct 20th and Nov 9th. Then the Dopey Challenge in January.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options

My first big scheduled race is a marathon (November 3rd). I entered a 10K race last April mostly to be able to take pictures from the bridge that the 10K run was named after. I didn't plan on running (just walking) until the last moment. I had not run a 10K 9or any distance of any note) since 1985.

You need good shoes, appropriate clothing and, most of all, time. The plan I am on is a 27 week plan that starts at the ability to run a 5K (not necessarily speedily, but at least continually). It stresses rest days (cross-training okay, easy walking to get the blood flowing throughout your body) and a minimum of 3 days per week of actual training.

Since our marathon days are usually a Sunday, the schedule calls for training runs (30-40 minutes) on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I can go longer on those days but need to be careful about overdoing it. The longer training runs are usually done on Sunday along with various speed drills, timing runs, etc. Generally speaking, my plan calls for stepping up the long run distance by 2 miles every other week until I reached the 14-mile run. After that, two weeks later I stepped up by 3 miles to 17-miles but I then had 3-weeks to the next long training run. I've done my 17, 20 and 23-milers. I have my last long training run of 26 miles two weekends from now. After that it is taper and maintenance training until race day. Those long-training runs are not at race pace (dialed-back by at least 2 minutes per mile plus a temperature compensation for each 5 degrees above 60 degrees F). At my training pace that is about 5.5 hours for the longest of the runs.

In the interim, I have run a 5K race (almost on a whim and won my age category) and am thinking of running a 10K or half-marathon on one of my "shorter run" weekends. It is really something to be able to run those other distances on a whim. A year ago I would not have imagined it was possible.
  • tiggerdug
    tiggerdug Posts: 67 Member
    Options

My first big scheduled race is a marathon (November 3rd). I entered a 10K race last April mostly to be able to take pictures from the bridge that the 10K run was named after. I didn't plan on running (just walking) until the last moment. I had not run a 10K 9or any distance of any note) since 1985.

You need good shoes, appropriate clothing and, most of all, time. The plan I am on is a 27 week plan that starts at the ability to run a 5K (not necessarily speedily, but at least continually). It stresses rest days (cross-training okay, easy walking to get the blood flowing throughout your body) and a minimum of 3 days per week of actual training.

Since our marathon days are usually a Sunday, the schedule calls for training runs (30-40 minutes) on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I can go longer on those days but need to be careful about overdoing it. The longer training runs are usually done on Sunday along with various speed drills, timing runs, etc. Generally speaking, my plan calls for stepping up the long run distance by 2 miles every other week until I reached the 14-mile run. After that, two weeks later I stepped up by 3 miles to 17-miles but I then had 3-weeks to the next long training run. I've done my 17, 20 and 23-milers. I have my last long training run of 26 miles two weekends from now. After that it is taper and maintenance training until race day. Those long-training runs are not at race pace (dialed-back by at least 2 minutes per mile plus a temperature compensation for each 5 degrees above 60 degrees F). At my training pace that is about 5.5 hours for the longest of the runs.

In the interim, I have run a 5K race (almost on a whim and won my age category) and am thinking of running a 10K or half-marathon on one of my "shorter run" weekends. It is really something to be able to run those other distances on a whim. A year ago I would not have imagined it was possible.

Thats fantastic, very insperational.

Ive went from no running to being able to run 45mins straight no stopping in 5 weeks, I do yoga and pilates on my rest days too.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Do you have a lot if time to commit to training? That is a big reason I don't see myself ever doing one !! I can't dedicate hours every weekend for long runs. I honestly enjoy running, but not for 3-5 hours!!!
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Do you have a lot if time to commit to training? That is a big reason I don't see myself ever doing one !! I can't dedicate hours every weekend for long runs. I honestly enjoy running, but not for 3-5 hours!!!
    This is a very good point. I'm running my first marathon in 3 weeks. I'm currently getting up at 4:30 AM in order to run my weekday 8 miles and 5AM on Saturdays so I can finish my 20's before lunchtime (they take me approximately 5 hours....i'm a slowpoke)

And for the record, I had 8 half's and 4 years of running under my belt before considering a full.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    This is a very good point. I'm running my first marathon in 3 weeks. I'm currently getting up at 4:30 AM in order to run my weekday 8 miles and 5AM on Saturdays so I can finish my 20's before lunchtime (they take me approximately 5 hours....i'm a slowpoke)

And for the record, I had 8 half's and 4 years of running under my belt before considering a full.
    Good for you! I think it takes a lot of time, dedication, and mental preparation!!
  • jilzish
    Options
    Hi ya Gillian,

I too have entered myself naively into a marathon next April, so I was excited to see your post. I feel like i'm in a very similar position to you. I have run before; I did a half marathon and a triathlon this time last year but I've had a baby since, and let my fitness slip completely during my pregnancy. I'm starting from scratch again, I ran (struggled through) 2.5 miles yesterday as a starting point. I'm following Hal Higdons 8 weeks to 10k first, and then hopefully i'll be ready to tackle his 18 weeks to Marathon....ohhh!!! even saying it makes me nervous :ohwell: I've sent you a friend request, i'd love to keep up with how your training is going....I believe its gonna be tough, but possible and so worth it crossing the finish line, however lon it takes :smile:

Best of Luck,
    Sheila x