Do you think BMI is a hoax?

Options
I have a question for everyone, in your opinion, do you feel like the BMI calculator is a hoax? I look healthy, i'm in shape, and I don't look all that fat, i'm not skin and bones, I have some meat and fat on me, but according to the BMI I am obese... what about people who are body builders? most of them would be considered obese also.

Whats your take on it?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I have a question for everyone, in your opinion, do you feel like the BMI calculator is a hoax? I look healthy, i'm in shape, and I don't look all that fat, i'm not skin and bones, I have some meat and fat on me, but according to the BMI I am obese... what about people who are body builders? most of them would be considered obese also.

Whats your take on it?

It is semi accurate for the sedentary person and it is best used for populations not individuals
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    It's an oversimplified meter for an oversimplified culture.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Not a hoax. Simply statistics.

It's based on large samples, and as such will be fairly accurate for most people. But yeah, if you have high levels of lean body mass it's not going to be accurate for you.

More accurate would be to have your % body fat measured correctly.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    A hoax? No...but it's not always the best measure. Being at a healthy BF% is more important. If you're at an obese BF%, then you're still obese and unhealthy. I'm slightly overweight by BMI standards, but I'm at a healthy BF% which is a better overall indicator of health.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    It dates back to the mid 1800's ...............not terribly relevant now
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Inappropriate use of the word hoax. It isn't Area 51, it's a sometimes inaccurate measure of health.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I think given the general population who is sedentary it can be a pretty accurate measure.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    It's a ratio of height and weight.

The labels come with numerous caveats. You can be "normal" and have unhealthy fat levels. You can be "overweight" and have healthy fat levels. You can be "underweight" and be healthy too.

If you're BMI obese, and wondering about maybe losing weight, you should probably lose weight.

If you're an NFL running back, you probably aren't going to focus on BMI as a measure of anything.

Also, you can smoke and not die of cancer. You can have a high body fat percentage and be relatively healthier than someone with a low body fat percentage. There are a million ways to look at the concept of "healthy", and BMI is just one overview.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Area 51 was recently declassified. Not a hoax, just a lot of ideas blown out of proportion.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    antiquated calculation developed too long ago by a mathmetician to aid the government in dispersing aid and resources based on samples of large groups of sedentary people.

Not relevant for today.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I'm apparently overweight according to it. Yeah, I'm trying to lose more but I don't think I'd classify myself as overweight as it shows me. Works well for insurance companies though.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Inappropriate use of the word hoax. It isn't Area 51, it's a sometimes inaccurate measure of health.

but wasn't it a measure created by aliens coming to earth to harvest human meat for their fast food operations????
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Yes. I once read that Michael Jordon was clinically obese by BMI standards back when he was on the cover of every sports magazine. Height - weight ratio does not work for athletes and people that carry a great deal of muscle. If you look and feel healthy, chances are that you in fact... are.
  • jwdieter
    Options
    Yes. I once read that Michael Jordon was clinically obese by BMI standards back when he was on the cover of every sports magazine. Height - weight ratio does not work for athletes and people that carry a great deal of muscle. If you look and feel healthy, chances are that you in fact... are.

MJ was actually "normal" BMI at his playing weight (218). However, a lot of current NBA players are BMI "overweight" due to increased emphasis on strength training for basketball.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Innaccurate is how I would describe it. My husband is 6'7 and 105kg which makes him obese according to the BMI charts.
  • jwdieter
    Options
    Innaccurate is how I would describe it. My husband is 6'7 and 105kg which makes him obese according to the BMI charts.

That would place him at BMI "overweight" (26). A lot closer to "normal" (25) than "obese" (30).
  • keef1972
    keef1972 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I'm not a believer in it.
    Guys I play hockey with are, 6'0ft, and weigh in about 230lbs.
    You look at them, and they are fit, and almost no body fat.
    BMI does not see to apply to today's athlete's.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    BUMP...for the discussion thread.

I don't think it's a hoax...just a statistical measure.
  • paulh3nry
    paulh3nry Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is a hoax. I am pretty sure BMI is a real thing. As for it's usefulness, I think it really depends on the person you apply it to. If it is applied to someone with a lot of lean body mass then it is absolutely useless. If you apply it to your average Joe couch potato it is probably pretty telling. I would say height to waist ratio or body fat percentage are more accurate indicators. Granted I am not a doctor so...
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    i think it's imperfect, but it shouldn't be tossed out. using it in conjuction with common sense is not a bad idea. sure, it doesn't work for athletes, but it does give some guideline for the remaining 85% of us.