The Protein & Carb Dilemma

Options
Alright so I've been fine with staying within my calories, but I go over my protein allowance pretty much by breakfast. I have always been addicted to carbs and have found that switching to high protein meals has allowed me to stay full and find the energy I need for daily life & my new found love of exercise.

So my question is for those who have opted for a low carb/high protein diet- what is a reasonable daily goal for protein intake on a 1280 calorie limit. Should I be including more carbs? It is not like I have banished them from my life by any means, which is why I cannot even fathom eating more in a day.

I love MFP, but I just cannot eat that many carbs! I would like to set my own reasonable macro limits that suit my life. Any guidance and personal experience is appreciated.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You can manually set your macro-nutrients. MFP's default settings are roughly 55%c/15%p/30f...that's pretty low protein right there. I try to hit about 25% - 30% on protein and about 30% of fat and make up the difference with carbs. Ultimately I try to get in about 1 gram of protein per Lb of LBM...for me, that's about 144 grams; I don't fuss too much if I'm +/- a few grams.

A macro split of 40c/30p/30f is very common...this is referred to as the "zone" or "zone diet". It is a very balanced approached..though it's about perfect for hitting my protein and fat goals when I'm in a deficit, but puts me at unnecessarily high protein levels at maintenance.
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I've set my own macros to protein 50%, fat 30% carb 20%

I'm doing pretty well on that. I eat 1500 cal or so each day. Eat some of my exercise calories back if I need them and have been losing a nice steady two pounds a week since June. I always drink two litres (minimum) water daily because I'm high protein.

I exercise four/five times a week, badminton, walking, circuit training with weights, pace room circuits and yoga.

Recently MFP tried to adjust my macros as I'd lost more weight and put me on 55% carbs lol.
    I've experienced that my body doesn't process carbs very well and lays down fat like right porker so adjusted them back again!
  • jbuck93
    jbuck93 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I also do way better with more protein and less carbs than the default setting. You can customize your goals. I have mine set at 35% protein 35% carbs and 30% fat.
  • betterthancable
    Options
    I also love the 40/30/30 split and find I have a ton of energy all day on it. Carbs have always burned me out though energy-wise and I tend to lean towards higher protein anyways. It's always a good idea to listen to your body - if you're feeling lightheaded and lethargic you may not be getting enough carbs (or another macro) but if you've got energy, aren't starving and feel pretty good you're likely doing just fine.
  • walkerkt00
    walkerkt00 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I knew I could set my goals I just wasn't sure what would be reasonable- still a newbie. Your suggestions are helpful. Glad I'm not the only one who found the carb expectation a little high.