How many calories are in a salmon fillet?

Options
All I am looking for is how many calories are in a 4oz serving of wild caught uncooked salmon.
The packaging says 100.
Google says 236.
Fat Secret says 161.
And MFP entries are all over the board.

Replies

• snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Go by the packaging, since it's probably going to be the most accurate.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    All I am looking for is how many calories are in a 4oz serving of wild caught uncooked salmon.
    The packaging says 100.

So 100.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Make sure you weigh the fish...If it is the kind of salmon where it is pre-cut into "serving sizes", a lot of time they weigh more than the bag says.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    Apparently the calorie count varies depending on the kind of salmon (e.g., Atlantic, chinook, pink, sockeye), according to he USDA nutrient database, but the lowest figure I saw there for fillet or boneless of the various types was 144 calories. Does the package indicate it's been processed in some way? (All I can think of that would lower the calorie count so much by weight is adding water, as is frequently done with ham, but that seems like an odd thing to do to salmon.)
  • JumpinJill
    JumpinJill Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I try and eat fish once a day as it seems like a low calorie protein/meat source. I would just go by the packaging. If it says a 100 do a 100. I eat more of the tilapia from the brand I use and it says 80 calories, so I just count as 80.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    The packaging says 100.
    Google says 236.
    Fat Secret says 161.
    And MFP entries are all over the board.
    Where does the 236 figure come form? (ie. google itself doesn't tell you that, what is the actual website that had that figure? Is is a reliable website or based on user generated info?)

If you go by the MFP entries that do not have an asterisk next to them, they have been added from the USDA database and are likely to be fairly accurate. Otherwise, go with the packaging, but I would weigh it to make sure it really is 4oz.
  • Lemongrab1
    Lemongrab1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Always go by the packaging. You'll see that calories vary hugely by which company it comes from.