Snacking throughout the day

Options
Due to my class and work schedule this semester, I don't have a good time to eat lunch most days and sometimes not a good time for dinner. By not a good time, I mean that by the time I am actually free, I am WAY too hungry and get really uncomfortable. If I'm too hungry by the time I eat lunch, I will have that hungry feeling for the rest of the day unless I eat a huge, over-calorie lunch, and I often have an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach for the rest of the day, regardless of how much I eat.

I do bring snacks, generally a cheese stick and a piece of fruit. However, I think it would be better for me to eat smaller meals (200-300 calories) every 2-3 hours. I have some days here and there when I am gone from my house from 7:30am - 8:30pm and it's really difficult to have two meals and then snacks prepared and ready to go. Especially when I am doing homework until midnight or later the night before. I also have to carry everything around in my backpack all day, so it's not super convenient.

Anyway, does anyone have good ideas for smaller meals that will keep me satisfied throughout the day? I have a pretty standard rotation of lunch and dinner-type meals these days so I'm having some trouble thinking of ways to switch it up.

Replies

• angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Protein keeps you going,so it's best to have that as part of your meal. You could have hard-boiled eggs or a mixed bean salad, which are easy to carry. Also good to use low GI foods as they won't give you blood sugar spikes and leave you hungry.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I'm the type that eats a little bit all day long. Common items are various fruits, cheeses, nuts, seeds, yogurts, protein shakes/bars (I choose ones low in sugar), veggies with hummus, bite sized pieces of chicken breast, beef/turkey jerky, dried fruit, and crackers. NatureBox is something you might want to look into for variety. I've gotten three boxes from them and loved everything in them.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I've leaned more towards snacking through out the day because I have access to free food at work...lol. They stock our kitchen with TONS of snacks, mostly junk food but they do buy us fruit, cereals (oatmeal, cheerios, chex, granola), Chobani yogurt, dried fruits, protein bars. I pretty much avoid everything except the fruit and gluten free, dairy free options. I also keep deli meat in the fridge and snack on that for protein.