calories: does fried mushrooms = mushrooms and butter?

Options
Thanks for your help:
I'm wondering how the calories are calculated : for fried mushrooms : is it the same as adding up the mushrooms and the butter? same with fried onions? other fried vegetables?
Does the frying change them in any way?
thank you!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Whatever is in the pan counts. So, if you use a cup of mushrooms and a tablespoon of butter, then that's what you count.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    What she said. Plus I'll add that frying them in a little fat can actually help with the absorption of any fat-soluble vitimins
  • KimP202
    KimP202 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    thanks, that helps me with understanding the mystery of fried food!
    :)
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I will not eat them in a house, i will not eat them with a mouse,i will not eat them in a box i will not eat them with a fox, i will not eat them here of there i will not eat them anywhere.
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others.

I would also add that you're always better off choosing the entries separately. E.g. Choose "Mushrooms - raw" - 100g and "Western Star Butter Spreadable" - 500g tub - 10g NOT "Fried Mushrooms" from the database because you don't know what the person has calculated when they entered the calories. It could be a tiny spray of oil or it could be a bucket of lard. Enter it the way that you cook it.