Eating before bed

Options
I have developed a horrible habit of eating right before I go to bed. I work nights ( which doesn't help the situation ) and I get home, and to dull the stress of work, I eat! Sometimes I am genuinly hungry, but most of the time, I just want a reward for working hard. Then I go straight to bed. Sometimes, I even wake up in my sleep, eat and go back to bed. I want to change this habit, because I eat waaay too many calories when I DON'T need them, and then I don't eat much when I wake up. I need help changing.It seems almost impossible for me to change this habit. Where do I even begin? Any suggestions?

Replies

• coachlee14
    coachlee14 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion based on lots of articles read, etc...I don't think it makes much of a difference when calories are consumed. In terms of weight loss, it's about calories consumed vs calories used. I eat a bowl of cereal every night before I go to sleep and it hasn't been a problem. If you're hungry, you gotta eat. What's more important is what you're eating. Are you getting enough protein because too many folks get enough carbs, but they don't really fill you up.
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I thought forever that eating before bed was BAD... but I am learning that eating a LITTLE bit of something, with no sugar or carbs, will help keep your metabolism going while you sleep. I will sometimes have a slice or two of turkey, a hard boiled egg, some cheese or some carrots and hummus. To be honest, I don't know if it's helpful or harmful, but if it keeps you from obsessing, or eating the WRONG things, then it's definitely helping!
  • last152010
    Options
    Hey, I too work nights and it is really hard not to eat. I just tell myself to ignore that feeling of hunger because I keep thinking about my goal. And I know that I don't really need to eat! I just want to!! Plus I work a very physical job so I try and eat a good heavy meal before I start work so I can have energy throughout the night!! Hope this helps!
  • sandylouwho
    Options
    I try to replace my late-night snacks with a drink instead (not the alcoholic kind!). I find herbal tea works really well, since it takes a while to drink, so it's more satisfying than water.
  • AriesGrl
    AriesGrl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion based on lots of articles read, etc...I don't think it makes much of a difference when calories are consumed. In terms of weight loss, it's about calories consumed vs calories used. I eat a bowl of cereal every night before I go to sleep and it hasn't been a problem. If you're hungry, you gotta eat. What's more important is what you're eating. Are you getting enough protein because too many folks get enough carbs, but they don't really fill you up.

I ALSO HAVE ALWAYS ATE A BOWL OF CEREAL BEFORE BED, AND HAVE FOUND IT TO BE HARMLESS AS LONG AS I COUNT IT INTO MY CALORIES FOR THE DAY AND DONT GO OVER=)
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have lost before eating before bed. The problem is, I'm eating too much..and I'm only a lil bit hungry. It's like, I can't stop. I'm eating more for emotonal reasons, and not because of hunger. I think tea might help, or maybe some stretching to tire me out. Night sched is rough!
  • lee112780
    Options
    I'll try a bowl of cereal:smile:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I have been eatting a small bowl of bran cereal with a few blueberries 2-3 hours before bed. I take a med that has the unfortunate side effect of constipation and the cereal keeps me regular with out drugs.
  • AriesGrl
    Options
    I also find that a good homemade smoothie will keep me full all night...my fav is banannas with pineapple and a lil orange juice with ice=)
  • AriesGrl
    Options
    I also find that a good homemade smoothie will keep me full all night...my fav is banannas with pineapple and a lil orange juice with ice=)
  • lee112780
    Options
    I am still really having a hard time with this. I told myself I would only eat 300 cal, if any before bed, and last night I had a friggen buffet!!! Im staying in my calories, but barely. It's like, I totally lose all control arounsd this time of day and take no responsibility. I'm like a child!!! I'm so disapointed in myself....and I really don't know how to change this, besides literally locking the fridge!! It's not a hunger issue, I think it's a sleep issue. It's like I need to eat before bed or I cant sleep. :angry: Im so mad at me
  • wallena
    wallena Posts: 32
    Options
    hmm. i agree with the notion it doesn't matter when calories are consumed as long as you use them. so, if it comforts you to eat something before you sleep, go ahead. just try to make it a light something. also, you may try working out before sleep or just after waking. remember 30 days to make a habit and 30 days to break one too. don't be too hard on yourself.
  • lee112780
    Options
    hmm. i agree with the notion it doesn't matter when calories are consumed as long as you use them. so, if it comforts you to eat something before you sleep, go ahead. just try to make it a light something. also, you may try working out before sleep or just after waking. remember 30 days to make a habit and 30 days to break one too. don't be too hard on yourself.

thanks!! gonna be the 30 hardest days ever lol I undersdtand everyone when they say doesn't matter what time I weat. However, I've been on this site for 4 months, and haven't lost much of anything. I eat well most of the time during the day, so I think I have to change this. Also, when I got out of control eating before bed, that's when I gained a lot...so in MY case...it seems to be a problem:smile:

I had a cpl ideas I hope will work:
    my job is slow at night...so I have time to work out there...I will start doing a small work out around 4am...even if it's just 10 min...that will help me keep my motivation up I think...and tire me out a lil.

Tea...the sleepy kind...so i dont wake up

reading before bed.

Ill try this starting tonight and see how it goes.