TDEE - 20% - how on earth!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Natural reply Symonep. I would also have replied that.

After replacing 2 meals (which i didn't had in the first place), I am so full. I am struggling to eat an apple in between meals to keep metabolism up. I am trying my best to eat something every 2-3 hours - but gosh, my tummy ache when eating so much.

meal timing and metabolism are a myth....and eating snacks to keep metabolism going is a myth as well. If you are not hungry in between meals then do not eat ...and you can eat one meal, three meals, or 24 meals spaced out every hour and it will have zero impact on metabolism....so only eat when you are hungry.

while that may work for some people, it doesn't take into account gerlin, leptin as well as other things that can affect overeating.

so you are saying meal timing has an impact on metabolism?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    TO the OP,
    They are not fighting.....they just have a difference of opinion on how to reach the same goal. :wink:

Remember, there is always more than one way to skin a cat, especially if you can get him to hold still.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    Options
    TO the OP,
    They are not fighting.....they just have a difference of opinion on how to reach the same goal. :wink:

Remember, there is always more than one way to skin a cat, especially if you can get him to hold still.

Exactly this.

Katch-McCardle just has a different way of determining TDEE than other programs and is often considered the most accurate. Several of the other programs suggest TDEE minus 35%-40% for people who have a significant amount of weight to lose. In your case, starting out at a larger deficit is just fine. Of course, as you lose, the calculations will change, and your difference from TDEE will be smaller. I believe it is recommended you recalculate it every 5 to 10 pounds lost.

As to your other questions, you really do need to give things time, and many people don't lose much in the first few weeks. You need to figure out a way to get moving more. If your blood O2 is low, that stuff you buy on Amazon is not going to increase it. Activity and possibly prescription medication if your doctor feels it is necessary is the way to increase O2 at the cellular level. Have you spoken to a pulmonologist or cardiologist about this? Do you have asthma? Do you have a problem with edema? These will have an impact on blood O2, and these problems are sometimes obesity-related and reversible or they can be medicated and alleviated.

As for hypothyroid, yes losing weight will be more difficult, but there are plenty of success stories on this website of people with thyroid disorders who have been quite successful.
  • Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies.

My height is 5.5 and my weight is 273lbs. :-(

I am not so active during the day. Sitting at desk most of the day working. I try to do treadmill or zumba 30 minutes a day. Sometimes I do treadmill and zumba. But mostly only one per day.

I will admit I only glanced at the responses but I wanted to add my personal experience since we have a lot of similarities. I started 5.6 216 with hypothyroidism. I didn't use TDEE. I have a desk job so am very unactive most of the day but I do workout 4-5 days a week. I still classify myself as "INACTIVE" that way I have the option to workout and eat back calories or not workout and stay in a deficit. I try to keep my Net calories @1250 and since January 3rd and am down 62lbs so it must be working for me (.5-2lbs/week). Also I might mention I don't "eat clean" and I am never hungry. I haven't changed WHAT I eat just HOW MUCH I eat. I do have 1-2 days a week where I go over my 1250 calories and at least one of those days I ensure I eat at least maintenance calories just to keep my metabolism up (God knows wiht hypothyroidism you don't want to do anything to slow it down). I have more energy and stamina and feel better then I have in years. I do 30-60 minutes of Cardio 4-5 days a week and 30 minutes of Strength Training 2-4 days a week. Because I don't do TDEE I am working with the calories I actually burn not calories I should burn. I track EVERYTHING I put in my mouth - down to chewing gum and I use an HRM for calorie burn estimates. The HRM is very worth it as it confirms that the gym machines and MFP WAY WAY overestimate burn 90% of the time.

Here is my personal opinion of things that go wrong with TDEE if your not doing it exactly right. #1) You classify yourself as lightly active so the calculation means you have to be lightly active EVERYDAY not just a few days a week or on the days you don't workout you actually end up over eating for your activity level. #2)You classify yourself as lightly active but then eat back your exercise calories. TDEE already accounts for exercise so if you eat back exercise calories you are actually eating double your exercise calories.

Honestly at 1400 Calories you SHOULD be losing something. The most common mistakes I've seen even without using TDEE are 1)Not using an HRM and overestimating burns. 2) Not measuring and underestimating calories 3) Not tracking EVERYTHING. Read the article someone posted about starvation mode - there are two cases on there where the people really thought about everything they were eating and realized that they were taking in HUNDREDS of calories more then they thought based on simple mistakes.

I will close by saying don't try too many changes at once - give your body time to respond to what you are doing. If there is a defict you will lose weight you just have to figure out what to do to get that deficit.