Eggplants... now what?

Options
just4peachy
just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
I bought two huge beautiful eggplants yesterday and then realized everything I know how to make with them involves a large amount of oil, cheese and bread crumbs.
Any recipes that are low fat/low cal would be great! I'm not a picky eater at all (I love ALL food, that's how I ended up here) and don't mind putting a little effort into my cooking.

Thanks!!

Replies

• danibabs
    danibabs Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Try this one!! It uses goat cheese so it's low cal and I can confirm that it's delicious. Although I used regular tomato basil sauce instead of the pepper one here (it was easier plus I don't like peppers)

http://www.self.com/fooddiet/recipes/2007/10/eggplant-cannelloni
  • bebbjeb
    bebbjeb Posts: 134
    Options
    You can make an eggplant dip: Make a couple of small slits in the skin of the eggplant. Roast the whole thing at 400 degrees for about an hour until soft. Once cooled, scrape out the flesh into a blender add a couple of cloves of garlic, 2 tbsp of tahini, salt, pepper and parsley and blend until smooth.
    Enjoy as a dip with fresh cut veggies!
  • tcac
    tcac Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I always cut mine and soak in a little salt. Then, if you want something good and easy you can use them as individual pizzas. put eggplant slice down on cookies sheet, put some sauce, mushrooms, and then cheese. Put in oven at 350 till cheese melts. They are so good.
    Also, if you want to put a little olive oil, garlic, balsamic vinegar in a bowl. Toss sliced eggplant in till covered then put on cookie sheet and cook in overn 350 for 20 mins. they taste as good as fried with hardly and calories. I usually dip them in Amy's organic pizza sauce.
    linda
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I've grilled them.. I just marinate and grill in teriyaki sauce or whatever I want, I'm sure you can use italian dressing.. Oh and talking italian, I have used eggplant as a substitute for meat in marinara sauce.. It was pritty good like that..

lol.. I did the same thing you did.. Bought a couple eggplants and then realised I didn't know what to do with them other than fry.. But anything is good grilled.. I have been doing that with portobella mushrooms too.. Yummy!
  • ant210
    ant210 Posts: 19
    Options
    Slice or chop chunks of the eggplants. Season with chopped garlic, lemon(juice or squeeze a full one), olive oil and salt/pepper. Grill them. Either have them as a side dish(you can mix in some zucchini and squash)..with some grill chicken. Or grill the slices and top them on a turkey burger.
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    Lebanese Stuffed Eggplant

This dish is known as Shaykh al-Mishi (Fit for a King) for a reason. This Lebanese meal expertly combines the most vibrant flavors to produce an authentic and scrumptious plate that is certainly worthy of royalty.

Ingredients

1 large eggplant

1 lb lean ground lamb ( or any kinda ground meat you like)

1 large onion

1/4 cup pine nuts

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1/8 tsp cinnamon

Tomato sauce

Directions:
    Using large eggplant, wash and remove stems. Stripe long-ways with a vegetable peeler into approximately 1-in stripes. Cut eggplant in medallions about an inch or 1 1/4 inch thick. Cut an "X" in the center of each slice, but not all the way through. Arrange eggplant medallions in a baking dish or pan which has been lightly greased or sprayed with olive oil. Bake at 375 ° F till tender and lightly browned. Remove and set aside.

Brown lamb with chopped onion and add salt, pepper, cinnamon and pine nuts while browning. If needed add small amount of olive oil to pan. After lamb is done, drain mixture to remove any excess fat.

Put a large spoonful of the meat mixture on each eggplant medallion and mash down gently in the center. Mix tomato sauce with equal parts of water. Pour tomato/water mix over the stuffed eggplant to cover. Bake uncovered at 375 ° F until bubbly and thoroughly hot. Serve over rice.

Serves 4-6
    per serving: 311calories, 14 fat, 11 carbs, and 5 fiber

I found the recipe on doctor oz website..I follow this recipe but sometimes I make my own alterations. I made it with lean ground turkey, and 1/2 the pine nuts one time and another time I used some chickpeas instead of the nuts...so any way you make it - it will come out delish!~

enjoy!!
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I use some beaten egg to dip the sliced eggplant in then from the egg drop it in some fiber one pancake flour and fry it in just a small amount of EVOO in a hot skillet. Just to the point where it is hot then it's still firm and tastes yummy. Just season with a little bit of salt and pepper and because it's EVOO it's healthier for you than if you use "bad" oils/fats
  • just4peachy
    Options
    I've grilled them.. I just marinate and grill in teriyaki sauce or whatever I want, I'm sure you can use italian dressing.. Oh and talking italian, I have used eggplant as a substitute for meat in marinara sauce.. It was pritty good like that..

lol.. I did the same thing you did.. Bought a couple eggplants and then realised I didn't know what to do with them other than fry.. But anything is good grilled.. I have been doing that with portobella mushrooms too.. Yummy!

I love grilled portobellas!
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    I am simplistic with my eggplants. Cube the eggplant, lightly dab some olive oil onto a cooking sheet. Bake. Toss in a bowl with diced black olives and a pesto/ tomato sauce (or any other favourite tomato pasta sauce) then top with a small bit of mozzarella. Very good and filling :)
  • sadams327
    Options
    WOW! I never ate egg plant...now I want to.
  • just4peachy
    Options
    WOW! I never ate egg plant...now I want to.
    Now I'm starting to think I should have bought more than two!!