Servings in recipes based on grams not people

Options
Hi all,

I'm trying to create a recipe and I want ideas on how to base the servings on grams instead of number of people. Any ideas?

Replies

• tlouiseh
    tlouiseh Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you want to do that you need to know how much your total recipe weighs. For example if I made a chicken salad that was 1600 calories total and weighed 2400 grams. I could say that the recipe serves 10 and then it would come up at 160 calories a serving. When I served myself I would weigh out a 240g serving size. I then add that to my recipe title so I don't forget. Ex/ "chicken salad 240g" Hopefully that makes sense.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I made homemade quest bars and the total weight was something like 360 grams--so I said it served 360. When I ate a bar I weighed it, and entered the number of grams it weighed as the number of servings that I had. I didn't have to calculate anything!
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I do something similar to what everyone else is describing. First, weigh the entire finished recipe. Then divide the weight in grams by 100 and use that number as your servings. That way, each serving is 100 grams. If you want 50 grams of your recipe, then you would weigh out 50 grams and log it as 0.5 of a serving.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Too much math.

Head is exploding.
  • Juliane_
    Juliane_ Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I made homemade quest bars and the total weight was something like 360 grams--so I said it served 360. When I ate a bar I weighed it, and entered the number of grams it weighed as the number of servings that I had. I didn't have to calculate anything!

Exactly what I do but in ounces.

MizTerry, it's actually pretty easy. Your tools do the math for you. You only calculate it once (enter it in your recipe builder) if your recipe is consistent...meaning you cook it the same way often. It's only work the first time you are entering a new recipe. When I serve myself it's not difficult at all either. It takes just 2 seconds to tare a plate and then measure a serving on a scale.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Too much math.

Head is exploding.

Ditto! :laugh:
    Good suggestions guys. Thanks! I will try this next time. Thanks for posting it Noura.