TDEE moderate activity???

Options
I'm thinking about trying TDEE-20% but am confused as to if my activity level would be classed as moderate or not. At the minute i generally make it to the gym twice a week and whilst there do 30 minutes on the cross trainer, 20 minutes fast walking on a steep incline on the treadmill and 20 minutes or so strength training.

In addition to this i walk 5-7 miles per day M-F and normally 3 or so miles per day at the weekend.

Other then that I don't really move much as I'm at my desk 8 hours a day and generally collapse once i get home! How would you classify my activity level?

Replies

• Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

It sounds like 'lightly active' is the right setting for you - and if you're too hungry on that try TDEE-10%.

Well done for all the walking, btw, it's the best exercise. :smile:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    *I second the lightly active....I walk roughly 4 miles per day (dog walker here) and go to the gym 3 x weekly lifting heavy. I have my activity level set at lightly active and it seems to be just right for me. That's the choice right after sedentary, right?

I use a fitbit to estimate how much I actually move & wear it 24 hours a day. I get 10k+ steps on most days & the fitbit interfaces with MFP. It adds and subtracts calories depending on my activities.
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'd personally set that to moderately active... I am within my healthy weight range and I have maybe 2kgs to lose so I starve very very quickly when I underestimate my exercise. I just found that setting it to light (3x weightlifting per week) isn't enough.

I do not own a car and I have to walk to town (2miles uphill) and everywhere I want to go. I go shopping 3 times a week, and it's normal that I have to carry 7-15kg worth of shopping back to my house (10-15mins walk). It is very difficult to put this in a coherent workout so I chose moderately active. But you have to try and see what fits best. I also sit most of the day on my desk.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I agree with lightly active, maybe 100 calories above or something.
  • carolinetayloruk
    carolinetayloruk Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your help. I'm going to go with lightly active and see how i get on.