Deployed and looing to lose 50-60 pounds

Options
I am deployed and usually when I deploy I lose about 50 pounds. What I want to get away from is losing big on deployments only to return home and gain it all back within a year. I am using this diary suggested by my buddy to try to do a life style change. If you read my daily logs you will see I am eating less than 1800 cals a day. I know this is not the best thing to do but here is my plan. I want to cut 30 pounds in the first 6 weeks (5 pounds a week) after that I will slowly bring my calorie intake up to be "normal" and try to lose another 20-30 that way.
to me nothing works better than motivation from friends and family so feel free to send me an add request.

Mike

Replies

• griff7809
    griff7809 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Good guy every body.

Yes, I chewed his *kitten* on his initial cal intake in case you're wondering.
  • LadyBugLex17
    LadyBugLex17 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    How is your progress? I eat 1800 calories a day and I'm 5' 3.5"

Hope you're eating more now!!
  • mikej1978
    mikej1978 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    How is your progress? I eat 1800 calories a day and I'm 5' 3.5"

Hope you're eating more now!!

Progress is awesome! It has been a little over 5 weeks and I am down 27 pounds. I have been eating 1400-1500 calories and stopped eating crappy food. I have less than 2 months left and my inital goal is 23 pounds away. I am shooting for 33 more tho. I have been feeling pretty good too.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I sometimes eat 600-1000 calories per meal. 1400-1500?

Guessing you will not have much muscle after this.

They do say, that if you don't lose weight through a reasonable method, that you usually gain all of it back, and more. But I think you already see that in your past...

See you back here for your next deployment.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I sometimes eat 600-1000 calories per meal. 1400-1500?

Guessing you will not have much muscle after this.

They do say, that if you don't lose weight through a reasonable method, that you usually gain all of it back, and more. But I think you already see that in your past...

See you back here for your next deployment.

I don't remember asking your opinion. I love all the people talking so much **** about people not eating 2000 calories a day. I eat 3 meals a day and workout alot. I am losing weight and feeling good so can give a damn less about what people say about my calorie intake.

While you may not have asked for an opinion in your OP, you are eating quite a low number of calories for a man who only needs to lose 50-60 pounds. The reason it is not advised that people do very low calorie diets to lose weight is that it makes maintenance a nightmare because the person is so used to restricting that they have no idea how to eat properly when the time comes to go into maintenance.

You say you always lose on deployment but come back and gain it back? Why is that? Because you haven't developed a lifestyle conducive to weight management. If you were losing now at a more sustainable number of calories you would learn how to eat properly and be able to maintain your weight post loss. Good luck. Thank you for your service.
  • mikej1978
    Options
    That is why I said in my OP that I will gradually increase my calorie intake to my maintenance calorie suggestion. I have been adding 100 a week the last 2 weeks.
  • silenceinspace
    silenceinspace Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I think the people in this thread are being pretty judgemental and unsupportive. You can express a difference of opinions without being rude.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Hi. We were a military family for 24 years so the whole deployment thing isn't a mystery to me. The problem really isn't entirely yours. See, the patterns you fall back into when you get home need to be changed too for long term success. That will require you keeping the home sergeant major in the loop and on board with the changes you need to be successful there too. Enlist her help with that well before you get back. That reintegration is stressful enough without springing all your dietary changes on her then. :wink:
  • mikej1978
    Options
    I think the people in this thread are being pretty judgemental and unsupportive. You can express a difference of opinions without being rude.

Thank you, I am thinking of seriously deleting my account and just logging the old way. I am just trying to lose some weight and everytime I post I get bashed about calorie intake.
  • MB_Positif
    Options
    That is why I said in my OP that I will gradually increase my calorie intake to my maintenance calorie suggestion. I have been adding 100 a week the last 2 weeks.

Glad to hear you've been adding. Just trying to tell you (and any others that may read this) that rapid weight loss tends to result in issues later. Not necessarily gaining it back...could end up with disordered eating, loose skin, etc. My input is based solely on my own experience which includes taking an entire year to lose 50 pounds and maintaining my weight for almost 2 years now. The only reason I am not at my "goal weight" is that I don't care about it anymore. I am happy with the way I look.
  • mikej1978
    Options
    Hi. We were a military family for 24 years so the whole deployment thing isn't a mystery to me. The problem really isn't entirely yours. See, the patterns you fall back into when you get home need to be changed too for long term success. That will require you keeping the home sergeant major in the loop and on board with the changes you need to be successful there too. Enlist her help with that well before you get back. That reintegration is stressful enough without springing all your dietary changes on her then. :wink:

Thanks for the advice, something different this time is that I want to continue losing when I return rather than just staying the same. I also had 2 big surgeries after my last 2 deployments (Knee, back)
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    It's the MFP way. I've come to expect it. Half the people clicking on this are probably more concerned about the typo in the headline than anything else. God help anybody who accidentally types "loosing" when he or she means "losing". People come unhinged over typos in this joint. :ohwell:
  • mikej1978
    Options

Glad to hear you've been adding. Just trying to tell you (and any others that may read this) that rapid weight loss tends to result in issues later. Not necessarily gaining it back...could end up with disordered eating, loose skin, etc. My input is based solely on my own experience which includes taking an entire year to lose 50 pounds and maintaining my weight for almost 2 years now. The only reason I am not at my "goal weight" is that I don't care about it anymore. I am happy with the way I look.

Thank you for the inputs, and congrats on your weight lose....you do look great!
  • mikej1978
    Options
    It's the MFP way. I've come to expect it. Half the people clicking on this are probably more concerned about the typo in the headline than anything else. God help anybody who accidentally types "loosing" when he or she means "losing". People come unhinged over typos in this joint. :ohwell:

lol, I hear ya man. Actually that was supposed to say "looking" I didnt even notice that until now.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    OP....you say deployment....exactly what do you mean by that? Are we talking military? And if we are....are you looking to lose that much because you failed weigh ins? I know in October there are spikes on here because of this very reason (I know, I am military and that is the original reason as to why I came here).

It is true that what others say. You can lose weight eating much more than you are. 1500 calories is less than I eat and I am 5'3", 145 lbs and exercise a lot too...and this is on top of a desk job. Please understand, there is more to lose than just calories when you cut that much and in the end this is what people are trying to say but often times it just sounds like barking. Extreme low calorie deficits can affect mental health, and not to mention limits the nutrients that your body needs. For example, if you take a 2000 calorie diet vs 1500 calories, that is 250grams of protein vs 150grams. Now imagine how your micros are effected, or the calcium you need.
  • MB_Positif
    Options

Thank you for the inputs, and congrats on your weight lose....you do look great!

Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • mikej1978
    Options
    Yes military deployment and no havent failed any weigh-ins. Just unhappy with my appearance. I think alot of people are misunderstanding me. I probably made the mistake of saying I "eat 1400-1500 calories" 1400-1500 is my net calories after I work out. I do cardio 6 days a week and burn between 1000-1300 (60-90 mins) When I log my exercise and calories my net total is usually between 1300-1500.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    When you post on a public forum you invite any and all types of feedback. It's not always going to be people agreeing with you. Take it with a grain of salt and do what you want to do.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Yes military deployment and no havent failed any weigh-ins. Just unhappy with my appearance. I think alot of people are misunderstanding me. I probably made the mistake of saying I "eat 1400-1500 calories" 1400-1500 is my net calories after I work out. I do cardio 6 days a week and burn between 1000-1300 (60-90 mins) When I log my exercise and calories my net total is usually between 1300-1500.

If you are unhappy with your appearance, then you should focus more on strength/resistance training...or at least include it. Body recomposition is done this way, not with cardio.