2 tips to get you past the annoyance of weighing

Options
lindustum
lindustum Posts: 212 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Dear (new) MFPers,

I know there is plenty of advice on these forums and lots of mud-wrestling over the right way to eat etc. Now, when I started a few months ago, I felt the biggest resistance for me was actually the process of weighing the food and recording that, not so much the food itself. Both my bf and my mother have tried MFP after I introduced them, and after visiting their kitchens, I understood why they didn't last a week:

1. Have a digital, accurate scale. Do not underestimate the importance of this. If you have an analog one, trying to guess the amount of grams/oz based on a line is bothersome. And you quickly get the feeling that it won't be accurate anyway, and think "what's the point". Even worse are the scales that you can only put the pre-made bowl on that came with it. If you do get a digital scale, check it before buying. My mothers one would actually freeze, and then jump up after I touch the bowl. So 40g of cereal all of the sudden turn into 60g. Great, how can I trust you now, scales? The best thing is that after every nudge, it would actually vary.

2. Make the scales part of your kitchen. Do not stow it away where you have to reach uncomfortable heights or crawl on the floor to get it- you will not want to get it out again 10 times a day this way. Put it next to the kettle, the coffee machine, the toaster- whatever utility that you have and are using daily. Mine is by the kettle ( I drink a lot of tea) which is next to the fridge. When I grab a bowl, I place it directly on the scales. I do not have to search for it. There is no extra work involved. My scales cost me £10. Heck, if you have a large kitchen, why not get the same scale twice. One for cooking, one for everyday food.

This sounds so common-sense it's barely worth a thread on here. But the key is that you have to reduce the physical barriers of additional work caused by the weighing. Humans prefer what is quick and efficient- and crawling on the floor to get your scales, get yourself up again, put the plate on the scales, reset the analogue scale to zero (ha ha, enjoy!) and THEN put the food on, trying to guess whether the needle says 60g or 80g, is NOT efficient.

I know there are many other hurdles to be tackled, but don't let the scales be one of them.

Replies

• Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Good advice ;)

I have 2 scales actually.

The first one is accurate to .1 gm up to half a pound. This is the scale I use most often for spices and small quantities of food for recipes as well as all my food for the day.

The second scale is accurate to 1 gm with an 11 lb max. This is the heavy duty one that I use to weigh my pots, casserole dishes and any other meal that I have prepared so that I can get an accurate 'serving' size. I weigh the full pot before anyone takes food, then I weigh the empty pot after the food is gone. I subtract the 2 and I know exactly how much food I had thus when I enter it in as a recipe I don't have to guess at the total and can accurately log how much I had. It's also great for weighing food directly on my plate so I don't have to mess around with everything separately.
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    The second scale is accurate to 1 gm with an 11 lb max. This is the heavy duty one that I use to weigh my pots, casserole dishes and any other meal that I have prepared so that I can get an accurate 'serving' size. I weigh the full pot before anyone takes food, then I weigh the empty pot after the food is gone. I subtract the 2 and I know exactly how much food I had thus when I enter it in as a recipe I don't have to guess at the total and can accurately log how much I had. It's also great for weighing food directly on my plate so I don't have to mess around with everything separately.

I have been considering getting a heavy-duty one as well. I like to cook large quantities and freeze it so that I won't eat so unhealthy on lazy days, and my scales stops at 3kg.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Very nice post. =)
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Good advice. I'm to the point now where the only thing I use measuring cups/spoons for are liquids that don't have a weight conversion on the nutrition label. Everything else goes on the scale, which permanently sits in the middle of my counter space for easy access from everywhere ; )
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I bought one to leave at my mom's house and work lol.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    this makes sense. i am one of the ones with the analog scale, because it was given to me. I use it for everything. But its not as bad as you think. I usually say to myself yes a digital scale might be easy and very much so more accurate but i think im doing alright with this scale until I can get another one. I guess.
This discussion has been closed.