Gluten Resistance?

Hey! I've recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and PCOS, and am curious whether or not I am gluten resistnat. I have a parent with Celiac's disease, have had IBS for years now, and am suffering from some of the symptoms- acne, sugar cravings, etc. I was wondering if anybody has had a similar problem? I have also had weight that I cannot seem to lose- could gluten resistance cause this?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Your doctor would be able to test/diagnose you for Celiac disease. You could also try an elimination diet, which is done when trying to identify food allergies. You would remove ALL gluten from your diet for a prescribed amount of time (a month, for example), then see how you feel.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    If you want to be tested for a gluten intolerance you can't give it up before the test. You need to be eating gluten in order for that to work. From reading your previous post you have ongoing issues with under eating and health problems so I'd get all that straightened out before starting to search for a new problem.
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    I did my own elimination tests and found that I am intolerant of gluten. I tried cutting lactose first and it didn't make a difference. When I gut out gluten, I noticed a difference the first day and by day 3, I was healthy again. You may find your IBS is simply gluten intolerance. I had the test and tested negative for Celiac, but I KNOW what gluten does to me. I have had many confirmations of my intolerance.

I also read that the Celiac test is iffy as to its accuracy. False negatives are common.

Gluten is in MANY products. It's hard to avoid completely, but once you learn what to look for, it's easy.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Hey! I've recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and PCOS, and am curious whether or not I am gluten resistnat. I have a parent with Celiac's disease, have had IBS for years now, and am suffering from some of the symptoms- acne, sugar cravings, etc. I was wondering if anybody has had a similar problem?

Though it could be Celiac's those are also major symptoms of PCOS. I have PCOS and have all of those symptoms but I don't have Celiac's or a history of it in my family. That being said, the easiest way for you to control PCOS symptoms is to eat low gi or low carb and keep your sugar intake low and eating gluten free can definitely go hand in hand with that.
  • If you're gluten intolerant, just cutting out obvious wheat (i.e bread, baked goods and pasta) for about 3 days should make you feel significantly better. Then it's worth having the tests to see if you have celiac. You would have to keep eating wheat until you were tested though. The book Wheat Belly has a lot of information about gluten intolerance and celiacs.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    I have Crohn's disease and have been gluten-free for two years. It has helped a lot. I have never actually been tested for Celiac's because it really doesn't matter to me at this point. I know how much better I have felt since giving up the gluten, I don't intend to go backwards. If you have digestive issues, I would recommend giving it a try. However, there are two things I would like to stress to you in advance:

It's pretty much an all or nothing kind of thing. "Cutting back" on the gluten is not going to give you marginal results. You have to cut it out entirely, and it is hidden in many things such as soy sauce and salad dressing, so you have to be careful.

Also, it is not an easy diet to follow and is not intended for weight loss.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    It's pretty much an all or nothing kind of thing. "Cutting back" on the gluten is not going to give you marginal results. You have to cut it out entirely, and it is hidden in many things such as soy sauce and salad dressing, so you have to be careful.

All True. I recently made some granola containing Quaker oats. After eating it for several days, I had all my regular gluten symptoms right back again. I had to give the rest away and get some certified GF oats to make another batch, because the Quaker oats are made in a factory where they process wheat. Still have the rash...