Serious Question

Options
2»

Replies

• NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options
    What I want to know is how you managed all these injuries in the first place. Those are some pretty serious ones.

Obviously you need to change something in your workout life if you're injuring yourself that severely. Either that or you're the type of person who likes to make excuses as to why they can't workout "the way they want to." Either way, something needs to change.

Of course you're burning calories on the bike, you were right about these questions being potentially stupid. Just because you're seated doesn't mean you aren't working.

Geez, all that and no suggestions as to what she should do? :-/

She asked a question that I answered. She said "If you have any suggestions I would be open." There was no requirement on posting suggestions.

My suggestion is she stop injuring herself because you have to be doing some pretty extreme (read: not using your head when exercising) stuff to injure yourself to the extent this person has.

Water aerobics? How's that?
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I hate to be ignorant, but how does cycling not aggravate your tendonitis? Seems to me you'd feel it a lot, especially on the up stroke.

But if it doesn't cycling, swimming and elliptical are all good choices.
  • JustYandy
    JustYandy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    swim
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would suggest talking to the physician treating these injuries about exercises that are safe.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I just has my shoulder repaired, torn rotator and bicep. Was in pain for a long time. Swimming or water aerobics are good. I plan on getting back to racquetball by the first of the year.

Friend me if you want, i will help in any way i can.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    "She asked a question that I answered. She said "If you have any suggestions I would be open." There was no requirement on posting suggestions.

My suggestion is she stop injuring herself because you have to be doing some pretty extreme (read: not using your head when exercising) stuff to injure yourself to the extent this person has.

Water aerobics? How's that? "

Well now you are assuming a lot here. There is nothing in the original post indicating these injuries came while exercising. She could have a very physical job and sustained injury at work or was injured in some sort of accident. There are many ways to sustain injury. :flowerforyou:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    My first suggestion would be to talk to a dr/physical therapist. That aside, my first thought was swimming.

But honestly, your best bet might be to just take care of yourself and get over the injuries. Stretching, maybe certain yoga poses can help stretch and strengthen, and is great for injuries (both prevention and recovery).
  • tammycolbert
    tammycolbert Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I would second the elliptical suggestion. Also bicycling and maybe water aerobics if your gym has that option.

A bit of unsolicited advice as well: If you're the kind of person who feels the need to preface their post with a snarky admonishment against "stupid" comments, even when the content of your message doesn't include anything that could be considered controversial and therefore invite "stupid" comments, maybe you shouldn't be using a forum. Or grow a thicker skin.

Well infortunaly if people do not have anything good to say, then they should just ignore the post entirely, there is no reason for the type of comments I have seen on here and have received myself, it is uncalled for and totally not necessary. They seem to have forums on here for that type of stuff. This is asking for help and yes I know it is the WWW (world wide web), but my opinion is just stay away if you find the need to be nasty and have nothing useful to say.
  • tammycolbert
    Options
    What I want to know is how you managed all these injuries in the first place. Those are some pretty serious ones.

Obviously you need to change something in your workout life if you're injuring yourself that severely. Either that or you're the type of person who likes to make excuses as to why they can't workout "the way they want to." Either way, something needs to change.

Of course you're burning calories on the bike, you were right about these questions being potentially stupid. Just because you're seated doesn't mean you aren't working.

I tore my rotator cuff and bicep when my dog chased after another dog and took me for a ride. My achilles I did I beleive at the gym on a machine for your legs, I put to much resistant on it. That one was my own fault.
  • tammycolbert
    Options
    If you enjoy the bike, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using that as your primary cardio. Does your gym have spinning classes? Spinning will give you a fantastic burn. There is also swimming if there is a pool. Are the tears full thickness or partial? If they are partial, you might be able to do some low weight upper body work you could do to strengthen what you do have available and help prevent further damage. I would talk to a trainer or possibly take four weeks of physical therapy to see what you are able to do. The body is amazing and you might be surprised what you are able to do. Good luck!

My rotator cuff is partial and bicep is full tear
  • tammycolbert
    Options
    Thank you for all your Idea's. I go to planet fitness and they do not offer classes. I think I may look up a place for swimming just to keep myself in motion. I have called the doc and they believe tendonitis, but will be seeing them this week to confirm. I know because of what I have going on, I am very limited to what I can do, I am just really annoyed because I just joined this place and I LOVE IT!!!.

Thank you for all your suggestions.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I would second the elliptical suggestion. Also bicycling and maybe water aerobics if your gym has that option.

A bit of unsolicited advice as well: If you're the kind of person who feels the need to preface their post with a snarky admonishment against "stupid" comments, even when the content of your message doesn't include anything that could be considered controversial and therefore invite "stupid" comments, maybe you shouldn't be using a forum. Or grow a thicker skin.

a51.gif

Edited to add -- Get out of my head, Tribehokie!
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options

a51.gif

; ) that's how I roll.

And OP, I understand what you mean and I agree that there are plenty of unhelpful people out there who post responses that only serve the purpose of amusing themselves, but it is a hazard of the interwebz machine and not one that is likely to go away.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    If you are going to give me stupid, non-sense comments, please hold onto them and give them to someone who cares.

I hope maybe you can help me. I love going to my new gym, however, with all my stinken injuries I am finding it really hard. I cannot do upper body because of my shoulder (torn rotator cuff, torn bicep) and now I have achilles tendonitis I think (hopefully its not torn). I cannot walk on the treadmill which I love because of the achilles. Can you give me some suggestions on what I can do? I know this sounds like a SUPER stupid question, but I am lost. I do the bike and like it, but am I really burning anything off? Anyway if you have any suggestions, I will be open to them.

how about swimming?
  • i2rsantos
    Options
    swim

I second that!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

a51.gif

; ) that's how I roll.

And OP, I understand what you mean and I agree that there are plenty of unhelpful people out there who post responses that only serve the purpose of amusing themselves, but it is a hazard of the interwebz machine and not one that is likely to go away.

yes, and unfortunately, prefacing a post like that often only chums the waters. I wouldn't sweat it though.
    Here OP...this is for you cause you seem like you could use it.....:flowerforyou:
    tumblr_m4e7737xmJ1qdojzho1_500.gif
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    A full tear is more of a problem. I would suggest you make an appointment with an orthopaedic doctor specifically for the purpose of asking what is safe for me to do and what should I not do. Obviously surgical repair would be best but that is not always an option for everyone. Just ask him what you can do. With a full tear you might be out of luck. Really only a doctor can advise you on that. Strength training aside, there are many good suggestions from others on appropriate cardio considering the injuries.