BAD nausea from morning workout!

Options
I have to wake up to get ready for my day at 5:30, so today I tried to wake up an hour early to get a workout in because exercising later in the day doesn't work much for my schedule, because it lands smack dab in the middle of all the stuff I have to do (school from 7-3, homework, physical therapy and chiropractic appointments for injuries, etc.) and I tend to be sorta a morning person. So this morning I woke up at 4:45 to exercise, did about 40 minutes, and felt SICK. I felt good while I was working out but once I was finished I just felt REALLY hungry, and that soon just morphed into nausea so that I couldn't even eat anything! It was awful.
I know that pre-workout meals are supposed to be eaten like half an hour to an hour before working out, but I just can't feasibly wake up at 4 in the morning everyday and be expected to function all day.
Any help? I really like the idea of morning workouts but I don't want to have to spend an additional half hour on the couch trying to force food down my throat feeling like I'm going to puke :/
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I some times get this,
    I start at 4
    and my doc said to take half a cup of coffee before.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Did you eat a good dinner last night and wake up not feeling ravenous? Or did you wake up hungry and then workout? I don't go to bed very full, but then eat a Quest bar every morning first thing before I work out. It's 170 calories, yummy, and gives me the energy to work out before my real breakfast/rest of the day. I love Quest bars- I get them from GNC. Also make sure you are drinking water during your workout.
  • ohtheveganity
    ohtheveganity Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I eat super light dinners, which I guess would be a bad thing if I'm trying to run off previous day energy for working out. But if I eat something substantial like a bar before I work out my stomach gets all gurgly while I'm doing things. Do you think that just some vegetables or something would get me through a 45 minute workout?
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I don't normally workout in the mornings, but when I do I find that if I have just a little something in my stomach I feel much better. Something like half a banana, an apple, even just a little bread or something. I eat that right before I work out.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I prefer to workout first thing, on a empty stomach, if I'm doing cardio. Lifting is later in the day and I need food before I lift.

I don't usually get sick when I workout on a empty stomach but I'm one of those awful people who will eat just before bed too.

Try having a little more at dinner or a snack before bed and see if that helps.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Empty stomach can equal low blood sugar which triggers nausea in me. I try to eat something small but with carbs before a strenuous workout. (I eat an english muffin with jelly before a long run.) But, if I eat too much too close to exercising, it makes me feel gross, too.

Try eating something small first thing in the a.m. see if that helps. If it doesn't...perhaps a healthy bedtime snack may help.
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I, too, work out in the mornings. If I feel really hungry before, I might drink half of my protein shake before my workout. Usually, though, it's just a couple of glasses of water before with the protein shake after the workout. If I'm running, it's half a red-bull before.
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Are you used to working out? I had this problem years ago whenever I would try to start exercising (which would then result in my giving up). I'm positive it's because I was exercising too strenuously without my body being used to it.

If you are new to working out, you may want to try gradually building up to 40 minutes of exercise.

If that's not it, you may just not be able to work out fasted.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I workout early -4am- several days a week.

I find I need something light to give me a little energy boost to get started. I am at the gym within 20-30 minutes of waking up and usually finishing my banana or yogurt, (sometimes with protein powder mixed in), as I'm walking thru the door.

Any nausea I experience is almost always brought on by the intensity of my workout and subsides after a few minutes of finishing my routine.

Try different things until you find what works for you.
  • ohtheveganity
    ohtheveganity Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Are you used to working out? I had this problem years ago whenever I would try to start exercising (which would then result in my giving up). I'm positive it's because I was exercising too strenuously without my body being used to it.

If you are new to working out, you may want to try gradually building up to 40 minutes of exercise.

If that's not it, you may just not be able to work out fasted.

Yeah, I'm used to working out. I usually do 40 minutes when I get home from school at three but it really just got in the way of everything else I have to do. I did my usual workout, no more or less intense than usual.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I get post workout hypoglycemia and after I finish running, become so nauseous I can't eat anything. My best option has been to drink half a glass of OJ as soon as I finish to get my blood sugar back up.