Breastfeeding and weight fluctuation

Options
I have recently return to MFP after having a baby ( 9 months ago). Prior to having a baby I noticed the usual weight fluctuations most significantly from morning to night for example. Now, however, my weight will swing 4-5lbs from day to day weighing myself at the same time/conditions. I am wondering if this is connected to breastfeeding. Anyone else experiencing this? If nothing else it's teaching me not to let my moods be driven by the scale!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    my first question is why weigh yourself that often????

Weight flucuates all the time regardless of breastfeeding..

It could be as simple as the scale not being in the same spot, or having to go to the bathroom...
  • awells76
    awells76 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It do it just to help me stay on track, it works well for me. Really just curious because the normal fluctuations seem more extreme.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Your body can fluctuate MORE than that on a daily basis depending on water retention (I'm always up the morning after a good lifting session and down after a night of drinking from dehydration) or sodium consumption. It's all water weight..

There are so many factors, it's best to find that time, like the morning after a rest day and normal eating to weigh yourself.
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I actually went up 6 pounds in one day. I am breastfeeding but I chalked it up to increased salt intake when I celebrated my anniversary. I always fluctuate now and I am thinking of only weighing myself once a week to keep my sanity. I am not sure if breastfeeding would make us fluctuate that much as we don't produce the milk all at one time. But who knows, it could be hormonal.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I actually found that things evened out a little more by the 8-9 month mark and I didn't have those kind of fluctuations, but it was very normal for me in the initial post partum period. Lose 7lbs one week, gain a pound the following week.