zumba question

Options
I am unsure when logging an hour long zumba class - do I put it down as an hour, or should I put less to account for the pauses between, and the cool down at the end? Probably a silly question but I just don't know!!

Replies

• Charlene_91
    Options
    I only do wii zumba but when I log it I put about 5mins less. Plus I think MFP over estimate the calorie burn. x
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I have a whole system for logging. :blushing: I use a HRM and don't start it until the instructor starts the class, but then I don't stop it until after class when my HR has returned to 110 bpm or less. That's usually 65 minutes total for me. I also don't eat back those calories, so that might affect how you choose to log it. Plus, since I'm using a HRM, I think it's more accurate than MFP's estimates.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    I have a whole system for logging. :blushing: I use a HRM and don't start it until the instructor starts the class, but then I don't stop it until after class when my HR has returned to 110 bpm or less. That's usually 65 minutes total for me. I also don't eat back those calories, so that might affect how you choose to log it. Plus, since I'm using a HRM, I think it's more accurate than MFP's estimates.

I just wanted to clarify something here. If you are that deliberate with your HRM calories burned, and you have lost 130 pounds, it sounds to me (from your post) that you "don't eat exercise calories". I think that is a dangerous thing to say on these forums.

I looked at your Food Diary and you have your base calories set to 2000 - so you are using a different calculation than "lose weight" mode on this site, correct? I don't know your age, height, activity level etcetera, but It appears that you are using a TDEE/maintain method.

Just be careful when saying you "don't eat exercise calories back" on this site.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I lost almost all my weight with intermittent fasting (JUDDD), and I'm currently maintaining, not at 2000 calories per day, but at 2000 calories every other day, and less than 1000 calories on the "down days."

I do not now, nor have I ever eaten back my exercise calories. I'm not using TDEE because I've found I gain with it. The question was regarding Zumba, not what eating plan is being followed, and I gave my method. I didn't say anybody else should do as I do, or not, just how I log my exercise calories burned.

I'm not really sure why it should be considered "dangerous" to say that I don't eat back my exercise calories. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but am honestly curious why I should have to monitor my responses and not be honest.
  • buckleten
    buckleten Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thanks Keiras Mom! I do not eat back my exercise calories either.. I would love to try it with a HRM, would be very interesting. Thanks for your answers everyone! :-)
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I agree that MSP over estimates the calories burned. I was pretty bummed out when I got a HRM and used it for the first time. The calories I had burned was far less than what MFP gave me.
  • steffij100
    steffij100 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba, and I log 60 minutes. That's how long the class lasts, and I am still dripping with sweat after the class, so assume (correctly or not) that I am still burning calories while we are dong the 5 minute stretch at the end. I also use MFP's calculation. I don't have a HRM, but have compared the burn to someone with very similar stats to me who does have one, and the results are similar. I also assume that whoever input the calculation on MFP has the intelligence to include the 'rest' time between songs (20 secs?) while the instructor is choosing the next one, and the time spent stretching. That said, like any exercise, people work at different levels.
    I think you have to allow a little bit of wiggle room for assumptions while losing weight/exercising/ counting calories. And THAT said- I eat back the calories! :smile: