Calories walk 5k = Calories run 5k ???

Options
13»

Replies

• burlingtongrl
    burlingtongrl Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I just want to say good for you for getting out there and running, no matter how many calories you are burning.:smile:
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    you using more effort to run, but you are spending longer exercising when you walk.

there would be some kind of bell curve i rekon where there would be a certain walk time and run time that would equal out.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    you using more effort to run, but you are spending longer exercising when you walk.

there would be some kind of bell curve i rekon where there would be a certain walk time and run time that would equal out.
    Curves describe nonlinear relationships. The curve on such a graph would be difficult to notice.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I know from my experience just starting out with 5k's and I use a heart rate monitor - I burn 500 more calories when I run the 5k vs when I walk it. Running is going to get your heart rate up faster and for longer than running thus burning more calories.
    Um, 500 MORE??? I burn about 280 total running a 5k
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I know from my experience just starting out with 5k's and I use a heart rate monitor - I burn 500 more calories when I run the 5k vs when I walk it. Running is going to get your heart rate up faster and for longer than running thus burning more calories.

How on earth do you burn 500 calories running a 5k, let alone 500 MORE?

Was wondering the same thing myself! Apparently I am doing it wrong!

I wear a heart rate monitor with chest strap - I also weight 222lbs, the heavier you are the harder your heart has to work when you put stress on your body such as running thus you burn more calories - the more I lose the more I see the max calories decrease. I average 1250 - 1500 calories for 5k. Walking it's only 900-1200 calories burned. I also took my HRM in to my trainer to make sure it was calibrated correctly. My heart rate tends to get up to 185-190 and stays there for 60-90mins.

These calorie burns seem very high even at a higher weight.