Alternatives to Heavy Weights?

Options
I want to lift heavy, but I'm on a budget and really don't have the funds to go out and buy a gym membership, hire a personal trainer, or even buy excessive amounts of weights. I've read up on this in these forums for a while and I've read some people saying that all you really need is a squat rack, bench, and a barbell to achieve the muscle I want. This is where I tell you all that I live in a tiny apartment and really have no room to place those things... and they're also pretty expensive, even second hand. (I've checked)

I'm reading the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" and there are a lot of exercises with weights in there (naturally), and I'm just wondering if there's any alternatives to buying a full rack of weights or if there's one or two sizes of weights that I can purchase to get me through the workouts in the book and whatever I end up doing after that?

tl;dr: So what I'm looking for are suggestions for what I can do at home that will increase my strength without breaking the bank or taking up too much space.

ETA: I should add that I currently have a set of wimpy 2 lb weights. I also have (this is embarrassing) a broom stick with reusable grocery bags on either side each filled with 15 lbs of paper. I'd put more in, but I only had 30 lbs of paper. Yes, it's a makeshift barbell.... I also have a floor that I could do push-ups on and access to a large exercise ball. Oh, and a tension band.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Check out FitnessBlender.com you can put in what equipment you have to work with and they will give you a workout you can do. It is a great site I love it. I too workout at home and they show you proper form as well.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Check out FitnessBlender.com you can put in what equipment you have to work with and they will give you a workout you can do. It is a great site I love it. I too workout at home and they show you proper form as well.

Thanks for your reply! I'll check it out for sure!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I'd look at some of the dumbbells and kettlebells that allow you to add/remove weight (usually through a pin and hole). These can provide a pretty diverse set of weights and not take up much space. I would buy a bench that adjusts from flat to nearly upright. With those you should be able to do work that is heavy enough.

Also, consider increasing time under tension when using lower weight on an exercise. For example, on a dumbbell squat going down at a 2 count, holding for 4, and then driving up for a rep makes the lower weights matter.
  • amandamae61288
    amandamae61288 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Bump. I am in a similar situation and would love to hear suggestions.

The makeshift barbell from a broom handle is genius. Use what you've got- gotta be better than not lifting, right?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have heard recommendations for "Convict Conditioning" and "You are Your Own Gym".

+1

Also, OP...you will be much better off doing something like the above than New Rules right now if you don't have the proper equipment. Not having the proper equipment is going to really limit you and ultimately not garner any of the results you're wanting...programs like New Rules, SS, SL, etc all rely on progressive overload and believe me, your capacity increases rapidly...you would soon outgrow just a couple of weights, at which point you'd really just be wasting your time without being able to over load.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    You can also use things around the house. Rice bags, bottles of culligan water, suit cases, be creative. Reminds me of that picture of a guy doing bench presses with a broom stick and tires...
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Look on Craigslist and start collecting adjustable weights.
  • 40mpw
    40mpw Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    First, I want to congratulate you on making it work the best you can. Too many people would not make the extra effort to cobble together some weights and would just claim there is no way they can work out. You are exceptional!

Just throwing some ideas out there:

* old half gallon and gallon milk/ water jugs filled with water, sand, or gravel for dumbbells

* just pick up something heavy -- my old weight lifting teacher in college said when she went on vacation once, she bench pressed a decorative pig statue to maintain fitness

* for a weight bench, I use two leather cube ottomans that we got second-hand. I push them together to make a bench. When they aren't workout equipment, they are stools for guests or used as our coffee table. Very versatile, check craigslist for free ones. Similar to these, I would guess: http://www.target.com/p/square-storage-ottoman-pink/-/A-14516677#prodSlot=medium_1_33
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ETA: I should add that I currently have a set of wimpy 2 lb weights. I also have (this is embarrassing) a broom stick with reusable grocery bags on either side each filled with 15 lbs of paper. I'd put more in, but I only had 30 lbs of paper. Yes, it's a makeshift barbell.... I also have a floor that I could do push-ups on and access to a large exercise ball. Oh, and a tension band.
    that's just so full of win.

seriously- it's full of win.

Also- since you ahve no problem making do- esp if you have grocery bags- take a few- load them up -and duct tape them up- so you can make yourself a little atlas stone or essentially a sand bag.

Plenty of work to be done with those things. You do not NEED a gym... or tons of stuff to lift heavy- but you need to educate yourself on progressions and what they are (strengthunbound.com is a great website about body weight training) and get real creative with the equipment you can make.

Good for you- keep googling- you'll find all sorts of stuff all over the internet!
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This is great! I'm getting a lot of new ideas. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond!
  • johnsmith3FL
    Options
    The question is, how serious are you about your health and fitness goals? Knowing nothing about your financial situation other than what you have stated, is there nothing else you can cut out in order to come up with $20-30 per month (not sure about your area, but that's what gym memberships go for around here). Cable TV perhaps? The cost of a gym membership, IMO, is very small compared to the health benefits you will get out of it.

Diet is the most important in weight loss, but adding muscle will tone you up and the more lean muscle you add will help raise your basal metabolism. About 2/3 of the calories you burn each day are due to your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR), only around 1/3 are burned by your activities (light exercise, cardio, etc.). Also, calorie burning benefits of cardio and light weight training only last while you are actually doing them, HIIT and heavy weight training on the other hand set up metabolic responses that continue on a long time after you work out (24-48 hours?). For all these reasons and more, heavy weight training should be a part of your weight loss / fitness program.

Follow a good, basic compound barbell program (SS, etc., as mentioned above), take the time to learn how to do the exercises properly, in a short time you will see strength gains, weight loss, and you will feel great and be happy to spend those few dollars every month. You cannot put a price on good health! :)
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You can do compound lifts, in a modified form, with resistance bands. You can get a fairly heavy set for pretty cheap. Also, has been suggested, a progressive bodyweight program wouldn't be a bad place to start.
  • javacafe
    javacafe Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    In addition to all the suggestions, I would strongly recommend a "Door Gym." There are those that you can "extend" (I.e., attach accessories to) and make it even more versatile.

In addition, I'd recommend Valor Squat Stands. Unlike the integrated squat stands, these have a smaller foot print and are reasonably portable. I wouldn't know where I'd be without mine.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I have some old dumbbell bars and little weight plates. They were my husbands from like 20 years ago. I can load up one dumbbell with 50+ pounds for goblet squats, or hold two for lunges, etc. I use them when I just don't have time for the gym, like recently, including this morning.

A dumbbell routine:
    Goblet squats
    Lunges
    Straight leg dumbell deadlifts
    Push-ups
    Rows (I use the couch as a bench)
    Shoulder press
    Bicep curls
    Tricp extensions
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    that's just so full of win.

seriously- it's full of win.

Also- since you ahve no problem making do- esp if you have grocery bags- take a few- load them up -and duct tape them up- so you can make yourself a little atlas stone or essentially a sand bag.

Plenty of work to be done with those things. You do not NEED a gym... or tons of stuff to lift heavy- but you need to educate yourself on progressions and what they are (strengthunbound.com is a great website about body weight training) and get real creative with the equipment you can make.

Good for you- keep googling- you'll find all sorts of stuff all over the internet!
    I concur. You are a shining example. Do what you can with what you have right now. That is guaranteed to give 100% more results than doing the perfect thing with the perfect stuff never. Well done!!

ETA: Atlas stone! Yes!! I have premade ones because my husband wanted them, but by all means, make your own "stones" or "sand bags" and lift the crap out of them! (and don't be afraid to try to pick up things outside-- one of our favorite driving games is "I bet I could pick that one up". Just make sure you don't pick anything up that has stinging insects living on, in, or under it! :noway: )
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I have heard recommendations for "Convict Conditioning" and "You are Your Own Gym".

That's exactly what I was going to say.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Check out bodybuilding.com's exercise database. they have loads of exercises and you can search by equipment (or lack thereof).

Bodyweight exercises are great. In the long run, though, dumbbells will also give you a wider range of exercises to do. But instead of buying them per weight, look into dumbbell handles with plates. there is a set on amazon for about $65 - the Cap dumbbell set. Eventually, you can work up/save up for heavier plates. Save up or check out craigslists for plates and benches too.

there is an Iron Gym bar you can use for pull ups, chin ups, and hanging leg raises that is about $25. You could buy the bands for assisted, but they can be pricey and so I'd suggest using a stool or step ladder to use for assisted ones.

Hope this helps :)
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    I had a trainer once who had me doing a lot of compound exercises in the gym using an exercise ball and dumbbells. I'd sit on the ball and do military presses, then roll down to laying down on the ball and do chest presses. Stuff like that. I was amazed at how much is possible with just a good set of dumbbells and a yoga ball.
  • Fabnover40Kat
    Fabnover40Kat Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Does your Apartment have a playground? You can do lots with it! Dips, Pull ups etc check out Crofit he does not use a gym for his

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX6cDxUuZtUroutines ! He's on facebook as well and post workouts!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    A 40 lb bag of water softener salt costs about $5 at the grocery store.