Blisters

Options
Is it normal to get blisters when breaking in new running shoes? If so, what do you do for them?

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have not ever gotten them from mine (I am not running more than 3 miles though so maybe some long distance people would have other answers) , makes me think maybe you didn't get such a good fit
  • amandajones1978
    Options
    Sounds like you didnt get a good fit. I have never gotten blisters from running shoes and right now I am running about 20 miles a week.
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I got fit at a specialty store and got the kind of shoes that correct pronation. I'm getting blisters on the inside of my heel where it wants to keep rolling in. I never got those blisters with ordinary running shoes, but I did have a tendency to roll my ankle. I'd definitely rather get blisters than a sprained ankle. Would it be possible that there would be other shoes out there that would correct the pronation and not give me blisters?
  • amandajones1978
    Options
    I have the same thing, my ankles pronate in. I use Brooks brand...cant remember the specific style though.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're getting blisters it means your shoes don't fit properly - they may be the right shoe in terms of your gait but they don't fit your foot perfectly. Blisters are a result of friction and friction results from your foot moving in or rubbing against some part of the shoe. You may be able to get some relief (if it's a very minor fit problem) with 2 layered running socks - but that's really a band-aid.

Can you take them back? (many running stores will give you 30 days to return the shoes - a good reason not to shop online)

Each manufacturer uses slightly different lasts, it sounds like you may need a shoe with a slightly narrower heel.

If you shoes fit properly they shouldn't need "breaking in"
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    You can always try Dr. Scholl's padded moleskin to prevent future blisters. My ex said that's what they wore when he was in basic training to prevent blister and whatnot from their boots.
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have wide feet with a narrow heel. The shoes I got had the narrowest heel of all the shoes that were wide enough for my feet. Looks like my hard-to-fit feet strike again.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I take the shoes back and get half to one full size up because they are too small.
  • AMNimlos
    AMNimlos Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    What kind of socks do you wear? Most people wear cotton socks they get at the shoe store or Target or wherever and those are BAD. I work at a specialty running store and we tell our customers to buy moisture wicking non-cotton socks. Cotton socks hold in moisture, which causes the sock to rub against your skin while you run, which causes blisters and chafing. We sell Feetures and Balega socks and they are very good! I ran my first 10K in them and felt a world of difference.

In addition, make sure your shoes are the right size. Assuming they are and that you got fitted, make sure you're wearing good socks. You'll probably notice an improvement right away.
  • AMNimlos
    AMNimlos Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Also, if you are dealing with pronation, you'll likely want to get a shoe insert, like Superfeet. They are cut down to fit your shoe perfectly, so I recommend going to a specialty shoe store and talking to someone. NOT a big box store. They don't know anything! Haha. Shoes don't really deal with heavy pronation, although getting a stronger stability shoe can definitely help. It really depends on how badly you are pronating, and a sales rep at a store will be able to tell you which shoe is best for YOUR mechanics. Don't just go by online reviews. You HAVE to try them out.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you didnt get a good fit. I have never gotten blisters from running shoes and right now I am running about 20 miles a week.

^^this

The only blisters I've EVER gotten in my running shoes has been from wet feet by running in the rain. I didn't get a single blister running my marathon or in the training leading up to it.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't get blisters in a good fitting shoe.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I have wide feet with a narrow heel. The shoes I got had the narrowest heel of all the shoes that were wide enough for my feet. Looks like my hard-to-fit feet strike again.

I have a similar problem and have found that Asics have been the best fitting for my foot(I've been running in the Gel Nimbus model for about 5 years now, haven't had a blister yet on distances up to half marathon)
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    You should never have to "break in" running shoes. If you do then you're not wearing the correct pair. Since getting fitted for running shoes I have never had to "break them in". I put them on and go.

I suggest going to a running shoe store (not a store like Sports Authority but something like Fleet Feet) and get fitted for shoes. Also I recommend getting a pair of thick socks like Thorlo's.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    No, it's not normal! Blisters come from rubbing. It sounds like your running shoes are too big.
  • JerseyGirlinTN
    JerseyGirlinTN Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    What kind of socks do you wear? Most people wear cotton socks they get at the shoe store or Target or wherever and those are BAD. I work at a specialty running store and we tell our customers to buy moisture wicking non-cotton socks. Cotton socks hold in moisture, which causes the sock to rub against your skin while you run, which causes blisters and chafing. We sell Feetures and Balega socks and they are very good! I ran my first 10K in them and felt a world of difference.

In addition, make sure your shoes are the right size. Assuming they are and that you got fitted, make sure you're wearing good socks. You'll probably notice an improvement right away.

This, this, and this times a million. Even with the correct fitting shoes, a pair of cotton socks can make a mess of your feet.

I forgot to bring running socks one day so I wore the pair of cotton 'all sport' socks I had on (with my fitted running shoes, mind you). BIG mistake. Got the biggest blister on my pinkie toe from the stitching on the sock.

I love, and only wear, Feetures. Expensive, but worth it.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I discovered a handy trick to reduce blisters = I rub some hard cream deodorant on my toes before putting my socks on, haven't had any since I did that. It also makes it less revolting when I take my shoes off as I am greeted with a slight deodorant smell instead of sweaty foot stench.