Does it matter when you drnk your whey protein shake?

Options
Do you have to drink it right after a workout or can you have it later, like when you are hungry and want a snack?

Replies

• j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Meal timing doesnt matter, you can have it when ever you want.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Drink it whenever you want. Just get your calories and macros in for the day. The whole "30 minute" anabolic window after your workout is a myth.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I followed a plan where I had the option of having a whey protein shake for breakfast or a snack. They specifically recommended NOT to have the shake as a PM snack; not sure why, though, but I always had mine for breakfast so I didn't worry about it.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. Do it whenever it makes you feel the best.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Drink it whenever you want. Just get your calories and macros in for the day. The whole "30 minute" anabolic window after your workout is a myth.

That's interesting to hear, because I've always gone by that recommendation. I just did a quick google and the results I found support consuming protein soon after a weight work out.
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks. :smile:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

That's interesting to hear, because I've always gone by that recommendation. I just did a quick google and the results I found support consuming protein soon after a weight work out.

the amount of webpages repeating a myth is not a guarantor of the correctness of that myth.

e.g., google the hits for "the need to drink 8 glasses of water per day (minimum)"
  • QuietBloom
    Options

the amount of webpages repeating a myth is not a guarantor of the correctness of that myth.

e.g., google the hits for "the need to drink 8 glasses of water per day (minimum)"

Oh brainy, you know I :heart: you, but can you please please point me in the direction of the correct information? With a cherry on top? Or perhaps a cute yorkie doing cardio?
    2hegfg7.jpg
  • BrainyBurro
    Options

Oh brainy, you know I :heart: you, but can you please please point me in the direction of the correct information? With a cherry on top? Or perhaps a cute yorkie doing cardio?
    2hegfg7.jpg

some summaries with links in the ETP group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872189-alan-aragon-and-brad-schoenfeld-on-nutrient-timing
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1097481-protein-timing-revisited
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Edit: Oops Brainy beat me to posting the Aragon/Shoenfeld link.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter, fact is, the protein source(Whey) is just Quick absorbing. Meaning, by drinking protein shakes you have a greater chance at absorbing the protein it contains. Time has no factor on it.
  • dieselbyte
    Options
    Another study below, in addition to Aragon and Schoenfeld -

Human muscle protein synthesis and breakdown during and after exercise - Vinod Kumar, Phillip Atherton, Kenneth Smith and Michael J. Rennie
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Now I am just confused
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    There is currently no solid evidence for any measurable benefits of protein timing on exercising individuals. Some studies show an increased insulin response, however this doesn't correlate to "more gainz".
  • dieselbyte
    Options
    Now I am just confused

Sorry, that's the last thing we want to do. Very easy to hijack a thread like this lol. Bottom line: drink your shake when you want to. Timing is irrelevant.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    From brainy's links:

Practical nutrient timing applications for the goal of muscle hypertrophy inevitably must be tempered with field observations and experience in order to bridge gaps in the scientific literature. With that said, high-quality protein dosed at 0.4–0.5 g/kg of LBM at both pre- and post-exercise is a simple, relatively fail-safe general guideline that reflects the current evidence showing a maximal acute anabolic effect of 20–40 g [53,84,85].
  • BrainyBurro
    Options
    From brainy's links:

Practical nutrient timing applications for the goal of muscle hypertrophy inevitably must be tempered with field observations and experience in order to bridge gaps in the scientific literature. With that said,high-quality protein dosed at 0.4–0.5 g/kg of LBM at both pre- and post-exercise is a simple, relatively fail-safe general guideline that reflects the current evidence showing a maximal acute anabolic effect of 20–40 g [53,84,85].

and this is why you find so many google hits with advice on eating a high protein meal shortly after working out, but that's not a scientific conclusion

the actual science says that there is no compelling evidence one way or the other.

so people naturally conclude that it can't hurt to keep following the that age old advice because "it's better safe than sorry".

since i never believed this advice in the first place, i have no compelling reason to adopt it. for others who have always followed it, i'm sure their conclusion is that there is no compelling reason to cease following it.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    That wasn't my take. The evidence seemed to sway toward the 'it matters when you consume it' albeit not by a lot. I agree that more research needs to be done, but as the author concluded, it appears that the sensible approach at this time is to consume both before and directly after a workout.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    That wasn't my take. The evidence seemed to sway toward the 'it matters when you consume it' albeit not by a lot. I agree that more research needs to be done, but as the author concluded, it appears that the sensible approach at this time is to consume both before and directly after a workout.

It goes on to say:
    Due to the transient anabolic impact of a protein-rich meal and its potential synergy with the trained state, pre- and post-exercise meals should not be separated by more than approximately 3–4 hours, given a typical resistance training bout lasting 45–90 minutes. If protein is delivered within particularly large mixed-meals (which are inherently more anticatabolic), a case can be made for lengthening the interval to 5–6 hours. This strategy covers the hypothetical timing benefits while allowing significant flexibility in the length of the feeding windows before and after training.

A 5-6 hour window between meals is basically the breakfast, lunch and dinner model. 3-4 hour window is throwing a snack in there somewhere for some hypothetical benefit. That benefit is not even quantified and could be a fraction of pound over an entire year. It makes more of an argument for a pre-workout meal but really doesnt show any evidence of significant difference.

Eat when it is convenient for you and how it effects your workout performance.
  • dieselbyte
    Options

It has been demonstrated that 3-4g of leucine is needed for maximum stimulation of muscle protein synthesis (Layne Norton, Optimal protein intake to maximize protein synthesis). The 20-40 g of protein recommendation is dependent on the leucine content of a protein source (high quality whey is about 27g for 3-4g of leucine). MPS is heightened in trained individuals over a 24 hour period. While it is may be "easier" for one to consume these amounts immediatley pre and post workout, it isn't necessary. Net muscle protein synthesis vs muscle protein breakdown is all important. Timing of protein immediately after training isn't.