How DoYou Get Rid Of Back Fat???

Options
Hi, I am 25 yr old, 5'5'' and weigh 10st 11lbs (151lbs).

I am trying to get rid of 12lbs, which have been fluctuating for months. I stopped taking my BC pill (microlite 20mg) back in January, But I started the pill back again 3 weeks ago (NOW on 7 day free).

I am trying to cut down at the moment and getting more water and walking in my routine. I don't drink, smoke or have salt, neither do I eat red meat, my only downfall is chocolate but I've not been eating as much as I have done.

The problem is, most of the weight I have to lose is a bit on my tummy (love handles) and back fat, just the bit that lies under your bra strap. I get really upset because it's the only part that seems never to go. When I had lost weight before, it didn't go, I lose weight everywhere but never on my back and I don't know how to get rid of it?

Is there an exercise that can tone it up, maybe pull it in a bit, or simple having to lose much more weight for it to finally vanish? I've got my last stone to go, which is proving the hardest to shift at the moment, and the back fat is upsetting me the most.

Exercises, stretches, yoga? Something I can do to at least get rid of some of it?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    1. You cannot "target" back fat - it will shrink as the rest of you loses fat.
    2. All women have bra-strap pooch. Make sure your bra is fitted properly, if it's in the wrong position or too tight, it will make your perceived issue worse.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You have to lose weight/fat all over. You can't spot reduce.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Alas, there is not such thing as spot reducing. If that is the last place your body hangs onto fat, you will just have to keep losing until it is gone.

They do make bras that are supposed to minimize the appearance of it. And a properly fitted bra will also help. :smile:
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit and full body workouts.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you can't target and spot reduce fat. Your body will lose wherever it's "programmed" to lose; all you can do is increase muscle mass, decrease body fat percentage, and hope for the best.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

2. All women have bra-strap pooch. Make sure your bra is fitted properly, if it's in the wrong position or too tight, it will make your perceived issue worse.

Not true. With or without a bra I don't have anything hanging over, pushing out or jiggling on my back or side. Lower belly maybe but not around the bra area.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Minimizing muscle loss while losing weight will reduce your body fat percetnage and get rid of that fat. Strength training + getting enough protein and calories + deficit + good sleep. By eating in a deficit alone will not insure you every thing you lose is fat, if you cut calories too much you will end up losing more muslce than you want and it will take a longer time to tone.
  • gale1089
    Options
    Google lower back exercises (deadlifts, bent over rows, bridges, hyperextensions are a few I do). Even core work would be beneficial. I've been struggling with this too, so hopefully you get some good answers
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Lift weights, full body, moderate calorie deficit.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Not true. With or without a bra I don't have anything hanging over, pushing out or jiggling on my back or side. Lower belly maybe but not around the bra area.

Me neither.
  • Valqis
    Valqis Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I feel pretty
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Zumba was how my back fat melted off!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Google lower back exercises (deadlifts, bent over rows, bridges, hyperextensions are a few I do). Even core work would be beneficial. I've been struggling with this too, so hopefully you get some good answers

Lower back exercises are great as PART of a full body balanced program, but exercising a body part won't target the fat over that area. Squats and bench presses are as useful for backfat as deadlifts and rows. Furthermore, concentrating on one area leads to imbalanced training which is the fast lane to injury. Remember for each pull exercise you do for your back, you need a corresponding push- dips, bench press, etc. It's dangerous to overwork one area.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    ten bucks says you're just wearing bras and tops that are too tight for you.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    2. All women have bra-strap pooch.

Not true - mine went away when my body fat % went down, but I still have a bit of a inner thigh/butt thing happening. It's just genetics and where your body stores its fat. Just eat at a healthy deficit and exercise. Your body will let go of the fat where and when it wants to.
  • marleniap
    marleniap Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    bump
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I dont think you can really "target" areas to lose fat. You can tone them to build muscle and muscle would burn more fat, but again you cant really "target" areas. Im doing cardio. Ive lost weight around my back. So far went from a 38D to a 36D, which Im happy about. I would try aerobics and those "ballet arm stretches" ( cant remembrr what they are called) you could try lifting, which would tone your arms/ muscles around your shoulder blades. Idk if it will help but it could be worth a shot.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    You just have to lower your body fat.

It's a body-type thing. I'm 5'7" and 145 currently with 24% bodyfat. I can see my abs but still have extra padding on my back and upper arms, just because that is where my body puts it. I am so jealous of the women who have the nice little wing-bones on their pretty backs, when mine just looks like a big muscley slab! However, I hear my friends with the pretty backs griping about their big thighs or whatever, since we all want what we don't have.

I'm hoping when I get down to 20% bf (should be around 135 lb) My back will be slimmer and I will be able to wear backless tops and whatnot. If not, I will just make sure my tops fit well and rock short skirts to show off my legs instead!