Non-first timers -- what happened?

Options
I see so many people "coming back" after losing weight and than regaining it all back.

I want my first time to also be the last, so I need to understand how this happens.

Did you just quit completely and eat just like before?

Or think you did not need to track anymore because you knew portion controls? (But than, did you also stop weighing yourself?)

What were your reasons?

Any tips on potential pitfalls?

Because this is a little bit concerning -- I understand that people who loose weight on fad diets and meal replacements are mostly bound to gain it back. But it should be different for those who lost significant amounts of weight over the long time, just by eating healthy and exercising.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    In to hear the responses..as I am a first timer here and wondered the same thing...

I suspect most are going to say...stopped logging but just curious myself.
  • rosieknowsme
    Options
    shhhhhhhhhhhh it happens
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    In to hear the responses..as I am a first timer here and wondered the same thing...

I imagine that if I stopped logging, I would NOT stop weighing myself. In fact, I'm pretty sure I would weigh myself regularly and if I saw I gained 5-10lb, would definitely get back to logging ASAP. Not wait until 30lb are back.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I imagine that if I stopped logging, I would NOT stop weighing myself. In fact, I'm pretty sure I would weigh myself regularly and if I saw I gained 5-10lb, would definitely get back to logging ASAP. Not wait until 30lb are back.

I don't own a scale. But I don't plan on not logging either...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I only put 15 pounds back on, but I'm back for a second round. I let myself stop logging over the "holidays," which apparently lasted from November to April for me. Then I spent some time in denial about how much I'd gained, some time complaining about how long it would take to lose again, and some time finding other reasons not to diet.

Fortunately, I did learn enough healthy habits my first go around that my rebound wasn't so back. I'm back to counting again and I intend to actually transition into maintenance this time instead of just falling off the wagon completely.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I was young and stupid and decided that I needed to lose weight fast. Since eating too much cause weight gain, I'd eat a lot less and exercise a lot more. In short order, I reached a point where I was eating about 300 calories a day and working out at least an hour a day. I lost a lot of weight, but I started feeling tired and run down. I got sick all the time and I was irritable constantly. After six months of this VLCD, I crashed and burned. I started eating like "normal" and saw a gain, even with small amounts of food (I didn't know about glycogen rebound when eating at maintenance, so the water gain freaked me out), so I gave up and ate everything in sight. I ended up gaining all the weight I lost twice over. It took several years, a dietician, and finding MFP to get me to a place where I could lose the weight in a healthy fashion. I ate a lot more this time around and have been able to sustain the weight loss. This is why everyone pushes for "eat more to weigh less". Yes, less food will equal more weight loss, but it isn't good for you. A small deficit and a little patience is all you need.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    This is my first time using MFP and I'm close to goal so I'm interested in the answers. Historically I've lost weight on other diets and my downfall has always been a combination of not tracking what I'm eating and I stop weighing in. For some reason once I've lost the weight I seem to have a grace period where I can eat what I want and not gain wait...or at least that's the delusion I choose to have, so I stop weighing in, assuming my body has figured out how to remain thin. That weight just sneaks up on you!!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Like people keep saying, it is a lifestyle change, alot of people hit their goal and say woohoo I am done break out the cookies (not to that extreme but you get the picture) if you aren't going to keep to your new habits you aren't going to keep your new body

my advice would be to stay on here in maintenance mode for a while and make sure you know how to maintain before you leave, but I don't think you will have to use this for the rest of your life if you don't want to either
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I was young and stupid and decided that I needed to lose weight fast. Since eating too much cause weight gain, I'd eat a lot less and exercise a lot more. In short order, I reached a point where I was eating about 300 calories a day and working out at least an hour a day. I lost a lot of weight, but I started feeling tired and run down. I got sick all the time and I was irritable constantly. After six months of this VLCD, I crashed and burned. I started eating like "normal" and saw a gain, even with small amounts of food (I didn't know about glycogen rebound when eating at maintenance, so the water gain freaked me out), so I gave up and ate everything in sight. I ended up gaining all the weight I lost twice over. It took several years, a dietician, and finding MFP to get me to a place where I could lose the weight in a healthy fashion. I ate a lot more this time around and have been able to sustain the weight loss. This is why everyone pushes for "eat more to weigh less". Yes, less food will equal more weight loss, but it isn't good for you. A small deficit and a little patience is all you need.

When you were eating 300 calories, was there anything anyone could have said to get through to you and convince you that it was a terrible idea?
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    For me a large part of it was that I used a large calorie deficit last time, so I never really "got the hang" of eating healthy at a maintenance level. I also changed jobs after I lost the weight through diet alone and did not compensate for a large decrease in activity by either lowering my maintenance level or adding in exercise.
    The weight went on FAST at that point, and I spent about a month on another low calorie diet and playing around with exercise while logging here on MFP before I got serious wanting a LIFE change instead of weight loss. Now, I'm eating at a small deficit, working on how I eat instead of just how much, and really concentrating on fitness rather than the scale.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

That is what would make sense, but sometimes life happens and your weight becomes a distant second (or third, or fourth) priority.

BTW - it's not happened to me, I'm still a 1st timer. But I would imagine this scenario has happened to more than one current 2nd timer.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    After my first child, the weight just dropped off when I was done BFing, and did a lot of cardio activity etc. Eating less and moving more, never tracking intake...got a desk job and slowed down, gained up...ate less and moved more without tracking.Then I got pregnant again :laugh:

When he weaned I started up (on another website). Then I came here, liked what I saw, learned about BMR and TDEE and...so far, so good! Jury's still out on if I'll have a third baby, but if I do I want to stay fit through pregnancy and see if I can keep my gain to healthy minimums instead of eating my cravings and resting my elite baby-making butt, the way I did with the other two.
  • hnp1987
    Options
    I only put 15 pounds back on, but I'm back for a second round. I let myself stop logging over the "holidays," which apparently lasted from November to April for me. Then I spent some time in denial about how much I'd gained, some time complaining about how long it would take to lose again, and some time finding other reasons not to diet.

Fortunately, I did learn enough healthy habits my first go around that my rebound wasn't so back. I'm back to counting again and I intend to actually transition into maintenance this time instead of just falling off the wagon completely.

This is exactly what happened to me. I quit logging all together for a long time to add to my denial. I had found a reasonably healthy lifestyle before I dropped off so badly over the holidays so that my come back now isn't so hard. I feel 3 times more confident and all I can do is learn from the past and not repeat those mistakes.
  • myprana
    Options
    It's always a holiday that breaks me. Getting out of the daily routine of usual foods and exercise. I usually do my best to maintain normalcy during a holiday, but if I've been cruising along with weight loss I'll get in that "oh a short dieting break won't do any harm" mode. I'll even convince myself that a dieting break will be good for my emotional health and that the rest from exercising will rejuvenate my body. Bad decision every time.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I started Dec 26, 2011 and lost 25 lbs by March. Then life happened....the last day of March 2012 my dad was diagnosed with colon cancer, April he had his surgery and a week later my grandfather died, all of this happened in my birthday month, then just 2 short months later my husband and I almost split up. Needless to say, I quit logging, ate whatever I wanted, lost focus, did not exercise.Gained it all back plus a couple pounds. Derailed by life. Most people say these are not good enough excuses, but these are the things in life that can make us lose focus.

So Dec 26, 2012 I restarted my logging, watching calories, exercising. It is now Sept. 25 and I have still only lost 20 lbs... It seems so much harder this time. I have worked harder, tried harder, focused harder and I cannot seem to see any results in the last few months. BUT ... I refuse to give up this time.. I will NOT quit... I want this because I do not want to have to restart.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Started in 2010. I actually took a pause of about 6 months. Life happens and I wasn't close to being where I wanted to be. Now I am back and more determined that ever.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options

When you were eating 300 calories, was there anything anyone could have said to get through to you and convince you that it was a terrible idea?

Probably. I had a very spotty understanding of how weight loss and nutrition worked. If someone had sat me down with the math and the science, I probably would have been convinced (but then, I'm an engineer).
  • dacspace
    dacspace Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    For me a large part of it was that I used a large calorie deficit last time, so I never really "got the hang" of eating healthy at a maintenance level. I also changed jobs after I lost the weight through diet alone and did not compensate for a large decrease in activity by either lowering my maintenance level or adding in exercise.
    The weight went on FAST at that point, and I spent about a month on another low calorie diet and playing around with exercise while logging here on MFP before I got serious wanting a LIFE change instead of weight loss. Now, I'm eating at a small deficit, working on how I eat instead of just how much, and really concentrating on fitness rather than the scale.

My "story" is very similar to the above poster. The first hundred times around, it was all about losing fast using just about any means necessary (large calorie deficits, large amounts of exercise, low fat, low carb, low whatever the fad was at the time, etc.). Then I started going to bootcamps in 2012 given by my now trainer. It took me almost a year of going to those, cutting this or that food and yo-yoing up and down 5-10 lbs before I decided that it HAS to be a LIFESTYLE change and not another "diet" for it to truly work in the long run. Now I'm working on making healthier choices about food and realizing that food is for fuel, not comfort or joy or whatever other reason I had all those years. Also I'm making sure I don't demonize or eliminate a type of food from my options... that always leads me to obsessing about it and a failure in the end.

Good luck in your journey and I truly hope your first time will be your only time!
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I suspect people get on here to lose weight and then depart afterward... I am here to create a healthy me... I realize that tracking for the next 50 years is essential to my health because I did weight loss plans in the past and when I got off of the plan I gained all the weight back plus some... This site I am treating as a tool to manage my health by tracking everything that I do I can work on improving my health. Those of us with weight problems need to realize that this is a lifelong effort to improve health that is impossible without staying accountable and tracking what we do. For those with less weight issues perhaps they can be successful without tracking everything all the time. For myself I know that I have to stay after it!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Stress eating and not logging. I never left MFP and continued to workout but let the eating get out of control. There was also lots of travel involved which did muck up the exercising and made the food choices that much worse. I've reset my ticker and am back to eating at a deficit and am being diligent with my food choices and logging everything again and I have faith I'll be back to my maintenance range by Thanksgiving.