Grad Student, and I Want to Lose Weight--Crazy? Yes.

Options
2»

Replies

• MaryLouRoyal
    MaryLouRoyal Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    There are some days I work in a lab and due to parking I must walk a mile each way. Most of the time it is really hot here, so by the time I get to work I'm a hot mess. I have walking clothes. Then I change into work clothes, re-do my hair, etc. It works for me this way.

I work in a professional environment, so arriving sweaty and disheveled may be frowned upon. :P
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

Hey, fellow student! Thanks for the tip! However, weather (snow and ice), distance (due to time investment), and traffic patterns are still problems. I go to school and work in the city, but since the neighborhoods adjacent to those areas aren't great, I live a good distance away. Also, most of Buffalo's expansion happened early in the 20th century, so it isn't exactly bike-friendly. Calorie burning is a must! But not at the expense of my life :P
  • MaryLouRoyal
    Options
    Full-time college science student with intensive courses. I feel your pain. Feel free to add :)

Science girls unite! Good for you for trying to keep an eye on your health; I certainly didn't in undergrad, and I've paid for it.
  • MaryLouRoyal
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I am a mature student under grad but understand the geek side Lol I wanted to call my daughter Princess Leia but other half put his foot down ... wish I'd just pitched Leia now and worked up! I don't AD but my sister does and has similar problems with weight. There is a book by this guy who had a genuinely hard childhood and got but went to uni and realised he was v sad and (think he was a chemistry student) and he realised certain foods are better to help us with Serotonin or dopamine cravings (will try and find out author and reply later). Anyway you're not crazy and hey feeling the love for Benedict! Good luck regardless I understand lack of time... I do a 4 yr course in 3 years (2nd yr now) it involves a lot of making and teaching practice and I have a 3 and 6 year old. GOOD LUCK xxxx

Boooo, Star Wars! :) I'm more of a Trekkie myself, but we welcome all kinds here. I guess. :P Good on you for tackling school with young kids like that!

Good luck to you, too! :drinker:
  • MaryLouRoyal
    Options
    You are the first post that I responded to......you think you are crazy....
    Well I'm a full time grad student, third shift dispatcher for the Fire Dept, and do I need anything else to be crazy??????
    I am actually enjoying working out right now. It had only been a little over a week though:) Welcome.

...wow. I'll stop complaining about my busy life now! What are you studying?
  • narwhalpr
    narwhalpr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hello!

This is my first post too! As soon as I read Grad Student, I thought: "Uh, Oh... that post is calling me!" I am in my last semester of grad school. My major is in School Counseling. I have gained around 50 lbs since I started grad school... yikes? Well, now that I only have two classes and no job I figured I could do some exercising and lose my grad degree weight. Omg, I wish you luck and I'll def add you for support!

Happy Narwhal
  • PhD110
    PhD110 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    PhD student here.
    my weight has fluctuated a lot in grad school due to stress; unstructured schedule; breakups; and dealing with depression and former ED.
    Grad school is super stressful and kind of isolating- which is kind of a tough thing to go through when also trying to manage weight.
    Feel free to add me!