White Potatoes

Options
Are they really that bad for you? I'm not talking about fried in oil french fries or hash browns or even drowned in butter and gravy mashed. I'm just talking about a plain old baked potato with a little butter and possibly some light sour cream.

I was comparing a regular white potato with a sweet potato and the sweet potato is a few less calories, a few less carbs but also less protein and more sodium.

Thoughts??

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Are they really that bad for you? I'm not talking about fried in oil french fries or hash browns or even drowned in butter and gravy mashed. I'm just talking about a plain old baked potato with a little butter and possibly some light sour cream.

I was comparing a regular white potato with a sweet potato and the sweet potato is a few less calories, a few less carbs but also less protein and more sodium.

Thoughts??

No and no food is bad for you without context and dosage taken into consideration
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I think sweet potatoes have more fiber, which is always good. I know that orange, yellow & red vegetables tend to have more Vitamin A than other veggies too.
  • 2B230
    2B230 Posts: 24
    Options
    Racists.

:laugh:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    No I don't subscribe to "white foods" are bad

It's all the yummy toppings & the oversized portions that get me into trouble. I like both white & sweet potatoes.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Not at all! The difference between white and sweet potatoes is more about the micronutrients/vitamins between the two. Sweet potatoes have a ton of Vitamin A, while white potatoes are a bit more rich in potassium. Sweet potatoes do have a bit more fiber and a bit less calories and carbs but they're actually a little higher in sugar than white potatoes.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Meet your calorie goal for the day. How you meet it is up to you. I still eat potatoes. I love them and they are a great source of potassium. They are not BAD for you, at all.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    No, they are not bad. It's just that most Americans eat more potatoes than is good for them, often at the expense of other vegetables. They can be part of a heatlhy diet, just be sure to eat a good mix of other vegetables too.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I find not labeling foods as "good"or "bad" or "clean" or "dirty" the simplest approach. If it fits into my day, I eat it.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    A good source of POTASSIUM... which a lot of folks overlook.

be careful pick them out of the MFP data base though, lots of the entries only have calories and carbs input...

Here is more complete nutritional info

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2554/2
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I don't like brown rice. I don't like sweet potatoes. I'm pretty picky with veggies so definitely no spaghetti squash for me. I will eat my white potatoes, white rice, and good ole regular pasta whenever I want if I fit them in my calories for the day. I eat everything in moderation, there are no bad foods.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Just don't put one up your butt. That's my only advice on this.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    A small white potato isn't "bad" for you, but a sweet potato is better. More fibre, more vitamins, slower digesting, less impact on bloody sugar. Make sure you have ypur potato with meat, like tuna mayo, grilled chicken/fish, steak...
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Thoughts??

No and no food is bad for you without context and dosage taken into consideration

QFT!!! Having White Potatoes on the grill for supper this evening..... love em!!
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    A small white potato isn't "bad" for you, but a sweet potato is better. More fibre, more vitamins, slower digesting, less impact on bloody sugar. Make sure you have ypur potato with meat, like tuna mayo, grilled chicken/fish, steak...

Why do you say you need to have potatoes with meat?
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    .....are delish
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options

Why do you say you need to have potatoes with meat?

I believe that if you eat your simple carbs with a fat it reduces the glycemic impact.
    I've forgotten the hard science.... now I'll have to google and come up with a link to something legit.

Okay, I"m baaaaack...

Here's and excerpt and a link to a Harvard study.

Fat content and acid content. The more fat or acid a food or meal contains, the slower its carbohydrates are converted to sugar and absorbed into the bloodstream.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates-full-story/
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I eat them! As a matter of fact, I'm having one for supper tonight. They're a great source of potassium.

Edit: Just watch what you put on them. If the potato and any toppings fit in your macros, go for it!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    No...carbs, and in particular, "white" carbs are just the latest and greatest in a long line of dietary boogie men. They do have a slightly higher GI, but barring a medical condition, that really doesn't matter for most. I personally love my white starches when I need to carb load before a race. Jet fuel baby....
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    LOL!

I never understood this one. Potatoes are one of the best foods imo. I have no idea how it can possibly be bad for you. Just more pointless scaremongering.
  • TheCalorieSMASHER
    TheCalorieSMASHER Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Thoughts??

tumblr_mi1mc5jkQd1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

Also, kitties love potatoes. How could you argue with them?

cat-potato1.jpg