Ease into 5K

Options
Is anyone doing the Ease into 5K? I am on Week 3, Day 3. I can't imagine running 20 minutes by Week 6!

Replies

• mrsweasley23
    mrsweasley23 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Is that similar to couch to 5k? If so, I did it and started the nine weeks dying after running two minutes. I can now run a 5k in about 30 minutes. You'll get there so stick at it :D
  • CandaceG514
    CandaceG514 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It will surprise you how fast you are able to build up. I thought the same thing when I started because it was hard for me to run for even a couple minutes.
  • beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Don't know this specific program, but I'm almost through the couch-to-5k program. I still run very slowly, 12:30-13:30/mile, but my endurance has come sooo far. In the beginning, 2 minutes was a struggle. When I got to 5 minutes, that was a struggle. I started my 20 minute run thinking there was no possible way I'd finish it, but that I'd give it a go. I did it and have moved on since. These programs are well designed, and if you stick with it, you'll definitely make it to the end! I'm now running 25-28 minutes (2 miles at my pace) continuously. I have NEVER done this before in my life - not ever. Not quite to the 5k yet, but it won't be long. The idea I once had that it might be beyond my capabilities now seems laughable. And - I'm a size 16, 217lbs lady, so if I can do it, so can you.

A word of advice based on my experience so far. You may encounter a week when you plateau, so commit to sticking to the program, but allow yourself to repeat workouts if you feel you need to. I committed to going, but would only move on when I felt that the distance/time I'd been running was challenging, but didn't leave me completely shattered. For me, that meant repeating week 5 (just before my 20 min run), moving on early in weeks 6 & 7, and adding in an extra run into week 8. I've also had two runs that were devastatingly bad. One, I was running in high heat & humidity. I started getting dizzy and called it quits then. The second, I hadn't gotten much sleep for a couple nights and my legs were screaming. I cut that workout in half. Get out there every time, on schedule, but listen to your body to avoid burnout or injury.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Another great 5K training program is "Zombies, Run 5K Training".
    I'm not a runner, so it's nice to have something fun to get started with!
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    They structure it to make you feel like it's impossible but you build up and then you realize you CAN do it. For me, even though I have graduated, I still have a hard time running the 20-30 minutes straight segments. I keep plugging away at it and hoping that they will continue getting slightly easier.