Question for gastric sleeve patients

Options
My father was diagnosed with esophageal cancer. They will be removing part of his esophagus and bringing his stomach up into his chest to connect everything. The results will be similar to a gastric sleeve.

Just curious what your time frames from surgery to solid food looked like.

Replies

• BringingSherriBack
    Options
    Week 1: Clear liquids
    Week 2: Full Liquids
    Week 3: Soft foods or mushies
    Week 4: Regular foods but no beef or pork: no breads, pastas or rice; no raw fruits or vegetables; meats (chicken and turkey) must be moist and vegetables well cooked
    Week 8: Ground beef and raw fruits (no citrus fruits) and vegetables ok but must be chewed very throughly
    Week 12: Most all foods are acceptable but breads, pastas and rice are no recommended

No drinking for 30 minutes before or after a meal and no drinking during a meal EVER.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Thanks! How many of those restrictions are aimed at not stretching out the sleeve? Like I think that's why the recommendation is no drinking while eating? I would think they wouldn't care so much about that for my dad (could be wrong of course).

I think his surgeon said he would leave the hospital on soft foods (could be inpatient for 7 days or 3 months depending on complications) and work his way up. But he did say people don't feel completely healed for a year. I know it's a bit different than a gastric sleeve procedure, but the resulting anatomy is quite similar.
  • clt052902
    Options
    each persons diet is different. you cant go by the weekly schedule the lady gave. I am on week 8 and still eating soft food/mushies. I have tried to move on and get seriously ill. these restrictions are not a matter of stretching the stomach but maintaining your health. if you try to eat something you are not ready for you will get sick. the stomach is small and can only hold about an ounce or two at a time of food. the reason for not drinking with your food is because the longer the food sits in your stomach it will keep you full whereas if you drink then it will wash the food down and you will be hungry sooner. with the gastric sleeve the dr. removes about 80 percent of your stomach.
    hope this helps and all goes well for your dad.
    will be praying for a great recovery.
  • janisbirch
    janisbirch Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hello: The reason why you have to stop drinking fluids 15 min. prior to eating, and no fuilds until an hour after eating is because.... you want your stomach to feel full and satisfied during and after your meal. If you were to add fluids, the fluid would cause the food to pass right through you. You would feel hungry again and what food you ate, would be a comolete wash out (pun intended).

I hope this answers your concern and question. Janis