I'm new to this, obviously, and will just need moral support. I am a breast cancer survivor, and while on chemo I lost about 40 pounds--and have since gained it all back and then some. I'd really like to get down to what I weighed when I got married lo these many years ago. My two big weaknesses--the two things I simply can NOT seem to resist--are sodas and ice cream, and I'm not good at drinking water (although I've been trying). Any others out there with a serious sweet tooth?

Replies

• ladyoflb
    ladyoflb Posts: 73 Member
    I can understand completely! I was a SERIOUS diet coke addict, Jan. 1 of this year was my last one! Woo-hoo. I still crave it but I think of all the reasons why I wanted to quit. And then I reach for my water..... :) Good luck to you, you can do it! You already have one major victory under your belt, what's one more? :):):)
  • teeduran
    teeduran Posts: 54 Member
    Congratulations on betting cancer, now you can get healthy again,and kick out the calories. I only drink Sobe lifewaters 0 calories no soda...I only eat ice cream that is low calories,or fats. It only takes3 weeks to break a habit,and start a new one. I did it so can you. I still treat myself to candy it tastes to sweet now.
  • Rogsman
    Rogsman Posts: 106 Member
    It's called "Curse of the Ice Cream".

I'm pretty sure every single pound of fat I gained over a decade came from ice cream. Given the opportunity I'd swim in a pool of rich creamy vanilla and shower with rocky road. Brush my teeth with some strawberry shortcake.

I don't miss it a bit.

Cause I didn't give it up. I just count my calories, save some room for the days end and enjoy me a Skinny Cow or bowl of sherbet. This may not be popular and it's loaded with evil - but I don't care, it's happening.

I used to drink lots of soda, now it's mostly water with a bit of "Ultimate Water Enhancer" every once in awhile. Key here is to drink only water for a week and let your taste buds reset. At that point anything colored appears sweet. You could pour ink into a bottle and it's taste like grape soda (not recommended).
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    I'm new to this, obviously, and will just need moral support. I am a breast cancer survivor, and while on chemo I lost about 40 pounds--and have since gained it all back and then some. I'd really like to get down to what I weighed when I got married lo these many years ago. My two big weaknesses--the two things I simply can NOT seem to resist--are sodas and ice cream, and I'm not good at drinking water (although I've been trying). Any others out there with a serious sweet tooth?

I have a terrible sweet tooth. Shocking, really. And I hate water too.

Lately i'm drinking water with a splash of lime in it. The lime comes in a bottle - i keep it in the fridge. It stops the water from being water and gives you a reason to live.

I think the mere act of logging that fizzy will be what turns you off it. It'll use up so many calories you'll eventually start to think of ways to escape that. Diet fizzy might be one way to go, or even sachet cordial might be. Even sachet cordial is around 60 cals a glass, which is far lower than a can of coke.

The lime works okay though. It's a bit tangy, and a bit sweet. It's nicer than lemon juice.
  • skylarbwell
    skylarbwell Posts: 40 Member
    These are my two biggest weaknesses as well. I decided to give up soda because of all the negative things I keep reading, especially about diet. I have been off of them for 10 days now and am feeling so good. Less bloated and less stomach issues in general.

I still allow myself a treat from time to time, of a Skinny Cow or a Popsicle. I am firm believer that you can't give up all treats / sweets, that is not realistic for a life long change.

Welcome, good luck. You can do it!!! :smile:
  • Lately i'm drinking water with a splash of lime in it. The lime comes in a bottle - i keep it in the fridge. It stops the water from being water and gives you a reason to live.

Ha ha ha! I will definitely have to give that a try. I do need a reason to live!