Does this sound right?! Bikers & Runners

Options
Does this sound right?! Maybe people who bike or run can help.

I posted before about eating back exercise calories and being skeptical of what I'm burning (I don't have a heart monitor, so I'm conservative with my exercise calories). So I've been using a new app to track my exercise, and it says that I'm burning ~575-600 calories per hour at 18mph on the bike.

I mostly bike and run. That means that this week, here are my exercise calories:

(I'm a 5"4', 120lb woman)

Sunday: 1156cal (2hrs biking)
Monday: 548cal (1hr biking...a bit slower than typical pace due to biking w/ a friend)
Tuesday: 1478cal (2.5hrs biking)
Today: 829 (1.25hrs biking @ 639 cal, 30min jog at 190 cal)

I used to use my sports watch to determine distance and speed, and then plug that into MFP or other online calculators. I usually log 75% of whatever those calculate b/c I heard they over estimate. But does this new app sound right?

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    probably overestimates by at least double
  • chaoticrunner
    chaoticrunner Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right, especially at the speed and duration you're going. Biking really does burn a lot. Can't say anything about the running though, just not my thing!
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I can only attest to the jogging as I don't bike, but the jog looks right. :smile:
  • naomijuliette96
    naomijuliette96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    tuesday and today don't sound completely accurate, but probably not by a ton. I'm a competitive road cyclist, and over the course of 2.5 hours i've burnt up to 2000 cal! I've also burnt 574 calories on a 20 minute all out effort, I know this is completely accurate as I was hooked up to machines doing a VO2 max test in an athletic testing facility... I'm always amazed at how many calories can be burnt while cycling! Running... not so much
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right for cycling at a decent speed, I'm bigger/heavier, riding a hybrid and burn approx. 700/hour on a quick ride.

I use a HRM for my calorie counts but find that the Runkeeper app on my phone (used for tracking distance) isn't too different for calorie estimates if you are looking for a no cost option.

As for running.... At my age? You must be joking!!
  • charcharhaver
    Options
    Thanks for the comparisons and app advice. I used to just be a runner and saw my fitness explode when I started biking. I'm on a road bike, usually in a hard gear while still maintaining a high cadence on flat terrain with a few 2-5 minute hills that I repeat. I do sprint intervals at least once a week. Not as crazy as some roadies like you it seems!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM and go all out on both shoes and wheels. There is no doubt I burn more running than biking.

All out running for a sprint of 60 minutes my heart rate averages just around 92% of max HR.

All out pedal pushing of 60 minutes my HR is 82% of my max.
  • charcharhaver
    Options
    Awesome! I can't run with as much intensity as I bike. My knees would explode! So that's why my run calories will always lower than my bike calories.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I am bigger than you are and would burn 300 calories doing a slow run of 11 min/mi for 30 minutes. If I run hard at closer to 8:00/mi I'll burn about 700/hour.

EDIT: 5'7" @ 160 lbs.