Moderation not clean eating

Options
13»

Replies

• aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I will say I think clean eating makes loosing weight easier because you tend to eat fewer calories. However I don't believe in "I don't have time to eat clean". You make time for what is important. I've been a college student working two jobs, you either use it as an excuse or make time. Eating clean isn't that big of an inconvenience if you prepare yourself. Don't get me wrong, I eat processed foods as well but I never make an excuse when I do. I'm getting to the point where it is harder to loose my weight and I slacked off on my clean eating and I noticed a difference in how I felt. Processed food makes my stomach hurt and I feel like crap when I eat it.

This is what I am talking about. It is like shaming when others don't/can't want to eat clean. I am very happy you were able to find time. Some of us honestly can't.

I wasn't shaming you, sorry you took it that way. I just don't believe in excuses. All I am saying is it is not harder to grab a banana than it is a bowl of cereal. Not all clean food takes hours to fix. I eat my share of junk, and I know how my body responds to it, but I also understand your different than I am. Just from personal experience it is easier to eat fewer calories/loose weight when eating clean, or at least it is for me.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I think you need to have mfp friends who're doing the same kind of eating plan as you are. If you don't want to eat clean, fine. Befriend 'everything in moderation' people instead.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Won't get a rude 'tude from me OP. Moderation and portion control was and still is my mantra.

I Do try to eat cleaner but sometimes it just don't work.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I will say I think clean eating makes loosing weight easier because you tend to eat fewer calories. However I don't believe in "I don't have time to eat clean". You make time for what is important. I've been a college student working two jobs, you either use it as an excuse or make time. Eating clean isn't that big of an inconvenience if you prepare yourself. Don't get me wrong, I eat processed foods as well but I never make an excuse when I do. I'm getting to the point where it is harder to loose my weight and I slacked off on my clean eating and I noticed a difference in how I felt. Processed food makes my stomach hurt and I feel like crap when I eat it.

This is what I am talking about. It is like shaming when others don't/can't want to eat clean. I am very happy you were able to find time. Some of us honestly can't.

This is part of the reason I posted this. I hate when people say oh you won't lose weight or you can always make time. Honestly in my schedule I can't. Everyday even my weekends are schedule out. I have been losing weight fine. I agree with every has different things work for them but enough with the shaming from both sides. And please don't assume people can make time. Sometimes my workout is my dance class for my arts general education credit and that's it. Sometimes my workout is at the gym on the bike studying or researching on my kindle.
    I see no shaming in that post.
    the whole point of this topic, is about using the moderation and also how a clean eater would message me and shame me for eating processed in the context, the mentioned post to me personally felt a bit shaming. The poster, who I am sure is very lovely and did not mean anything by it, said they do not believe the excuse I don't have time. In previous posts I have said that I don't have time. To me at least, it felt that it was bit of shaming. I am not trying to make the poster look like a jerk, I promise. I just felt a little stabbed at and maybe I am just too sensitive but that is how I felt and I tell people when I feel something.
    I get it.
    You feel stabbed at. You started a thread about it. YOU started a thread on the web.
    I saw no shaming in that post. But consider not start threads if you don't want to be disagreed with?

that said: have a look at a thread where someone wants to "eat clean" or is asking for advice how... lot's of mocking of anyone attempting to cut down on highly processed convenience foods.

I guess folks on both sides of the aisle feel judged. Which sucks.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    lol? people would message you for eating processed foods?

some people need to get a life.

Moderation is key to overall sustainability.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    btw I am someone who did my own VLCD 2.5 years ago and I am still holding the weight loss after I implemented moderation
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I don't completely understand clean eating. I eat what I want and can when I can. I try to eat more fresh food. But sometimes I eat a bteakfast jack. Nutritionist actually said not too bad for me. Doctore said wendya plain potatoe and chili are ok. Low in fat. Some people are just too critical. Dp whatvworks for you.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I am a 44 year old mom of four (ages 7-19, but the college kid lives at home for now to save $$) who works 40 hours per week, teaches Sunday School and is a Cub Scout den leader. I can relate to busy. I also believe in moderation. Everyone is going to die eventually, eating only clean foods won't change that.
    If you look at my diary, my processed foods are mostly first thing in the morning and occasionally at lunch, but I really don't sweat it. I grow my own veggies when my garden cooperates and hit the farmers market when it doesn't. during the winter, my lunches usually change to Progresso soups that are GF. And if you think the folks here can be aggressive about clean eating, you should see the celiac listserve I subscribe to. I was told recently that I need to boycott Chex cereal because it isn't non-GMO food. To which I replied, no, I don't. I need affordable GF food that I can eat and my kids will eat. You eat non-GMO if it makes you feel better, though.
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Also a moderation eater here! To each there own... as long as it works for you and you're happy. :flowerforyou:
  • bethanyliz1
    bethanyliz1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. One thing at a time, and to each their own! Bad food tastes too good to just give up =P
  • shauna9127
    shauna9127 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    :happy:
  • shauna9127
    shauna9127 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Girl you are preaching to the choir! I posted a simple topic earlier and got ripped apart by people saying "your problem is that you you are eating processed foods" annoying. I am happy with eating in moderation, everyone just needs to be supportive :)

but you won't build lean muscle......

questionable.....
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I like the Buddhist saying "There are many paths up the mountain". My path may not work for someone else - what I eat may not work for someone who has IBS, lactose intolerance, peanut butter allergies, etc, etc.

I'm into moderation too!

<
    I just changed to this profile pic earlier today - pure coincidence!
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    When you are of college age, health consequences are not real to you. They just aren't - because you don't believe that YOU will ever have to deal with that? Why? Because you are healthy now, therefore you always will be. That is the mentality.

As for no time -- plheese!!! I've been through college while working 20 hrs a week, and you only think you are busy.
    Let me tell you, wait till you have a family, a house, a husband, a full time job, 2 hour daily commute and a toddler with sleeping issues. You will laugh at your college "busy".

That being said, I don't eat clean. But most days I try my hardest to eat real food. Which in my definition generally means stuff that does not come from a package, a can, a sealed bag, food products that do not need to be refrigerated or have shelf life of weeks. (with obvious exceptions of nuts, whole grains, roots, that can naturally last longer).

Made from whole ingredients without preservatives. Like real baked cake, baked today, by an actual person. Not Entaments that does not even require refrigeration.

Exceptions make life easier. As long as they are exceptions and not rules. Yes, I don't pickle my own jalapegnos in adobo sauce. I don't have that ability. So if I need a spoon of it for my dish, not a big deal. But the dish won't come from a cardboard box under any circumstances.

How did I get here? Reading a lot. If you read how food is made, about food industry in general and specific techniques, you will realize how scary nutritionally poor that those things are. And how important nutrition is to health.

And the difference is - when I have a processed food (a 140 cal of chips with my wine, both of which do no good for me) I KNOW that those are empty entertainment calories and I have to limit those. An average person who is eating cereals for breakfast and hot pockets and pizza rolls, or spam with pasta, thinks of those things as food. That's the dangerous part.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I try my best to cut back on processed foods but I still eat frozen meals sometimes ( I work full time and weird hours- and take care of my toddler ). Oh, and you can pry my coffee mate flavored creamers from my cold, dead hands because I'll never give them up. NEVA!
  • tifferz_91
    tifferz_91 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm a clean eater & i totally understand.

There's days when i slip up. There's also days where i don't have access to organic non-gmo foods.

It is what it is.

Just continue to do what's best for YOU.
  • Aminah3052
    Aminah3052 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't eat clean. Lol I make an attempt most days to make sure we eat stuff that is somehow healthy..... Some days it doesn't happen. My husband is a full time college student, and i take 4 classes at our mosque (which he also takes lol so 8 classes for him) just that alone takes up so much time, but that's not factoring in any other activities. But time aside, its just not a priority. I eat foods i like, and while on Most days thats not so bad, ive had a few that were pretty scary where we went someplace that had food i wouldn't eat (goat and lamb or fish) we get home at midnight and my choice is defrost chicken and cook or walk to the gas station and buy chips and a yoohoo (i was way under calories that day lol) I'm not gonna cook. I cook 3 times a day, on most days, so when i want a meal off or even 3, im perfectly fine with quick easy stuff. As long as i stay on my calorie goals and keep losing weight i don't see Abby issue