Who is your fave cookbook Author?

Options
Either cookbook or eating guide. I need a new cookbook and ideas

Replies

• TerraEarth
    TerraEarth Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out the Eat Shrink and Be Merry cook books? Regular easy to follow low fat/low cal recipe's. And they are fun to read too.
  • sweetn3ss
    sweetn3ss Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Tosca Reno - she does the "eat clean and green" diet. Her foods are really good.
  • antiadipose
    Options
    bobby flay!
  • ialmostfell
    ialmostfell Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cooking Light! You can order a subscription or buy the cookbook, but I just look up recipes on their website, cookinglight.com, for free.
  • MOUSELADY
    Options
    rachel ray and paula dean
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I love the Cooking Light annual "best of" books, the Vegetarian Times cookbook, the Moosewood books (though I'm not a big fan of Sundays at Moosewood), and Vegetarian Celebrations.... everything from the VT and VC books has been yummy. The Cooking Light collections are pretty (and the few things I've tried are staples in our household now.)
  • antiadipose
    Options
    paula dean
    i love watching paula.... but she needs some serious butter intervention!
    THE WOMAN HAS A DEEP FRYER BUILT INTO HER KITCHEN! as if its one of the essentials lol i love watching her tho haha

ya cookinglight is great! and eatingwell.com
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I love Healthy Cooking Magazine - it's by Taste of Home.
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    Jamie Oliver!
  • tn2010
    tn2010 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Cooking Light fans. I also love all the recipes I've ever done in the South Beach Cookbooks (regardless if you follow the actual diet...they're just good and extremely healthy). Unlike abyt42, I love Sundays at Moosewood, though! I also love Greek cooking and enjoy The Complete Book of Greek Cooking by Saint Paul's Cathedral and anything by Diane Kochilas.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Unlike abyt42, I love Sundays at Moosewood, though!

lol.... it's the one with the meat. For many years (20), I ate none, and didn't cook it, so it was not a great purchase. Fortunately, it was a gift...
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Paula Deen
  • cduke25
    cduke25 Posts: 5
    Options
    Ina Garten. I've never made a bad recipe from her.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Anyone try that Rocco Disparito low cal book?
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of the Cooking for the Rushed Series. She focuses on family eating habits, has everything organized by time needed to prepare with weekly planning guides and shopping lists.

There is a whole lot of use of quick cook options (using prepackaged sauces and stuff) that might be a little higher in sodium than I would like, but most of them come with low-sodium options. The ingredients are also fairly basic pantry staples that you can find anywhere and most kids will eat the food too with vegetarian options for those that don't eat meat.

Also, since my biggest excuse for ordering take out is that I just don't have time to cook, I'd rather know what I was cooking with in the house and have some control vs. trying to order something similar in a restaurant. The shopping lists for the week make that part of my week just as easy.

There are about 4-5 books in the series with some really yummy "special" dinners that I do for my hubby on our anniversary, birthdays, etc.
  • dianka93
    dianka93 Posts: 21
    Options
    I like Mark Bittman and Martha Rose Shulman. Looking for a good international vegetarian cookbook at the moment.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I don't know how I ended up with this book (and I'm not religious) I had to google what 'Menonite' was I thought it was a town or something ...

I have NEVER had an unsuccessful meal out of this book! Especially the Baking, it's spot on!

37b6228348a0d32e7367d010.L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • zenzoes
    zenzoes Posts: 187
    Options
    Julia Child, hands down. :) | Bon Appétit!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Julia Child, hands down. :) | Bon Appétit!

+1

And Mark Bittman. Great, down to basics cooking.
  • dmgaloha
    dmgaloha Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    i love watching paula.... but she needs some serious butter intervention!
    THE WOMAN HAS A DEEP FRYER BUILT INTO HER KITCHEN! as if its one of the essentials lol i love watching her tho haha

And what about Paula's Ladies Brunch Burger, or should I say, heart-attack on a plate: a hamburger topped with fried egg and bacon with Krispy Kreme glazed donuts as the bun?! I am still shaking my head at that one... :noway: (although I'm sure it would be delicious - oops! I didn't just say that out loud, did I? :blushing: )
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paulas-home-cooking/the-ladys-brunch-burger-recipe/index.html