Became a vegetarian today, help!

Options
Hi guys!

So I've been contemplating for a long while veganism an becoming a vegetarian and such. I truly believe vegans live healthier lifestyles and finally yesterday I made the commitment to change my lifestyle.
I am a meat lover, I'll admit, but yesterday I was skinning some fresh chicken and it was absolutely disgusting. Now I know when meat is prepared for me already, then it will still look appetizing, but I am choosing to say no to meat. I just truly believe vegetarians are healthier than meat eaters and I want to be healthy ad young looking for as long as possible that I should be!
I would eventually like to completely be vegan, but I do realize that the transition is quite difficult and more time and thought consuming, but that Is y ultimate goal.

Although today wa day 1, and Ido love meat, I did not eat a lot of it anyhow before I made the switch.

I am posting this for any tips and advice someone might have for me!

Thanks!

Replies

• ahizzel
    ahizzel Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    please document the statement that "vegetarians are healthier than meat eaters..."
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I just have to say this. Vegetarians/vegans are not inherently healthier than omnivores. You can be vegan and eat oreos, pop tarts, chips, breads, cakes, biscuits, etc. You still have to make healthy choices. Meat/animal by-products don't immediately make a person unhealthy. I've met plenty of obese vegetarians and fit and healthy meat eaters. It's all about the food choices you make, not just the diet you choose to follow.
  • autumnpennell
    autumnpennell Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Sorry I quickly through this post together, I don't have w documet that says they are healthier just my personal opinion. Also, obviously it depends what exactly you put into your body, I've just noticed people who have cut meat out d their diets for years tend to look much much younger in old age, and that and other reasons is why I made the seitch
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I would suggest paying close attention to your macros and make sure you get enough protein and fats to keep you full and help with your weight loss. If it gets difficult for you, you could try to wean yourself off slowly making some days entirely vegetarian but having a little meat now and then. There are some good meat substitutes made by Morning Star, the woman I work for is a vegetarian so I've tried all sorts of *fake* meats and I like theirs the best. I myself don't see anything wrong with eating meat but if that what you really want to do good luck!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I will just say that either option is healthy as long as you make good choices and eat in a deficit....If you are a vegetarian and eat over maintenance you will still gain weight...
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Going vegetarian won't make you healthy. You can eat lots of vegetarian food and still be in poor health. In my personal opinion, unless you have a moral reason for going vegetarian, it won't be an easy road, nor healthier.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Going vegetarian won't make you healthy. You can eat lots of vegetarian food and still be in poor health. In my personal opinion, unless you have a moral reason for going vegetarian, it won't be an easy road, nor healthier.

This ^^^^^^^

I am a wannabe vegetarian. I just can't seem to avoid eating meat. I like it, and it's everywhere. I eat vegetarian dishes when it suits me. I am going to Hell.

fat50_zps5e10a9ea.jpg
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I just have to say this. Vegetarians/vegans are not inherently healthier than omnivores. You can be vegan and eat oreos, pop tarts, chips, breads, cakes, biscuits, etc. You still have to make healthy choices. Meat/animal by-products don't immediately make a person unhealthy. I've met plenty of obese vegetarians and fit and healthy meat eaters. It's all about the food choices you make, not just the diet you choose to follow.
    U6d7Emo.gif

Now that is out of the way here is some helpful info...

http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/articles/plant-food-protein-chart.pdf

I recommend you join this group for support and suggestions...

Happy Herbivores-http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/45-happy-herbivores

Also recommend you get a B12 supplement and Google nutrients that are somewhat difficult to obtain in your new life style choice.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    923020_10151504087118224_293380576_n.jpg
  • zombiemusicgirl
    zombiemusicgirl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Vegetarianism/veganism is fine. Not for me, but perfectly healthy if you plan right. Go buy a copy of the Veganomicon. Sometimes it is really easy to get overwhelmed with the amount of planning that goes into a vegan diet, but from your profile pic it looks like you have at least some knowledge about how to properly feed themselves.

Don't worry about everyone taking things personally. I'm not a vegan, I actually don't feel to well when I do it. However I have friends who live very well as vegans. Just make a plan every day, and keep track of how you feel. Cook lots and try not to eat out too much in the beginning. That can lead to some nasty habits... Also, try not to rely on too many "meat substitutes," such as fake ch'kn nuggets and "beef crumbles." Many of them contain high amounts of either hydrogenated fats and MSG in the form of autolyzed or hydrolyzed ingredients. I suggest keeping your foods whole as a vegan.

Good luck and happy veggie picking!
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Sorry I quickly through this post together, I don't have w documet that says they are healthier just my personal opinion. Also, obviously it depends what exactly you put into your body, I've just noticed people who have cut meat out d their diets for years tend to look much much younger in old age, and that and other reasons is why I made the seitch
    Your opinion is considered wrong
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

^^ This.

Cutting out meat on moral and ethical grounds is one thing but if you're just doing it because you think you'll automatically become healthier then think again. There are plenty of unhealthy vegetarians (I used to be one of them). If you love meat then there is no reason why you can't incorporate it into a healthy diet.

That said, there are plenty of meat alternatives out there you can try. Most people take some time to adjust to them because they are different from meat and it's best you don't compare them to it. Be mindful of making sure you get adequate iron and B vitamin intake - you may find it necessary to supplement these and also watch you get enough protein - it's easy to eat a very carb heavy diet when vegetarian, lots of rice, pasta, bread etc as there is a void to fill on the plate where meat used to be. Good protein sources are:

eggs / egg whites
    cheese
    cottage cheese
    Greek yoghurt
    Fromage frais
    Tofu
    seitan
    Quorn
    nuts and seeds
    beans and pulses
    quinoa
    brown rice
    peas
    protein powders - whey, casein, hemp, pea, rice, etc.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    keep a window open :)
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 15 years, and a vegan for 5 years. I recently went back to fish and poultry. I became a vegetarian when I was a teenager, for "health reasons." Whatever that meant, at the time. The reason I went back, is because I was NOT healthy. I lived on carbs, and although I'm sure you will say you won't do that, it is very hard NOT to live a very high carb lifestyle. There is nothing wrong with carbs, in my opinion, but for me, the high carb and sugar content, and very low fat, made me low energy and constantly hungry. I also became anemic and lost a lot of hair. The last few years of being a vegetarian, I ate very healthy - lots of beans, complex carbs, healthy fats, and occasional soy protein. I wasn't overweight at the time, but I was definitely not healthy, and I definitely didn't feel well. Also, I found that being a vegetarian often put a damper on my social life. I was always telling people that I couldn't eat this or that, and I felt that it made people uncomfortable. I am not trying to change your mind, because I think if you want to try it, you should go for it, but I think it's okay to think of it as a trial period. You may find that cutting too many things from your diet, only defeats the purpose of trying to live a healthy lifestyle. Just my 2 cents. Good luck, and enjoy the challenge.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I became a vegetarian, because my bowel can't digest meat (funnily enough chicken is way worse then red meat for me) at the moment and I need to be meat free for at least a year, before I could try to reintroduce it. So far I seem to be doing okay with it, although my protein levels are low (allergy to soy cuts out varies things there) I am working on that.

Anyway, there was a BBC documentary of 'How to live to be a 100' and in that they introduced a community of 7th day Adventists, who had a higher then average life expectancy and aged better then the average American and one of the defining differences was that they ate a vegetarian diet, exercised moderately, and didn't smoke or drink. Since it wasn't a scientific study, you can't conclude that it is necessarily better for you. Having said that, give it a go and see where it goes. If you don't feel right with it, you can always pick up a steak. It's not like once you make that decision it is unchangeable. Good luck :-)
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Read "Eat to Live' and "Forks over Knives"
    Watch Earthlings a documentary on You tube.
    These will help strengthen your convictions.

Remember there will always be those who will oppose. Just do your own thing.
  • autumnpennell
    Options
    Thank you! This is what I was looking for in this post! Thanks so much :)
  • autumnpennell
    Options
    Thanks! I've already watched Forks Over Knives (my life changer) Food Inc, Food Matters, and Vegucated, and I am thoroughly convinced, and I don't care what there think! I'm surprised so many people are defensive on this issue. Thank you!
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!

So I've been contemplating for a long while veganism an becoming a vegetarian and such. I truly believe vegans live healthier lifestyles and finally yesterday I made the commitment to change my lifestyle.
    I am a meat lover, I'll admit, but yesterday I was skinning some fresh chicken and it was absolutely disgusting. Now I know when meat is prepared for me already, then it will still look appetizing, but I am choosing to say no to meat. I just truly believe vegetarians are healthier than meat eaters and I want to be healthy ad young looking for as long as possible that I should be!
    I would eventually like to completely be vegan, but I do realize that the transition is quite difficult and more time and thought consuming, but that Is y ultimate goal.

Although today wa day 1, and Ido love meat, I did not eat a lot of it anyhow before I made the switch.

I am posting this for any tips and advice someone might have for me!

Thanks!

I've read lots of books/sites on this, because I was also looking for the optimal diet for better health and longevity of life. One of my favorite books is from Dr. Fuhrman and is called Eat to Live. Highly recommend it (I got it from the library). However, while he advocates a whole foods, plant based diet, he also acknowledges that statistically/scientifically, those who eat a mostly whole foods, plant based diet but still eat a bit of meat and dairy, do just as well as those who totally cut it out. It's not so much what you eliminate from your diet, but what you add/include-and that's lots of veggies, especially the dark leafy green ones, and then fruit and other whole foods (whole grains, nuts seeds etc). He recommends a 90/10 rule (90 percent of your diet is focused on whole/plant foods, 10% is up to you-if you like cheese or a steak, include it here, or a bag of m&ms :) ).

I now eat a mostly whole foods, plant based diet and love how I eat. I haven't eliminated any food group totally from my diet, but I have reduced my meat and dairy consumption to a couple times a week. I'm in maintenance and I love Michael Pollan's saying 'Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.' That sums up my entire maintenance plan and it's working great :)