Anyone else NOT feel good after exercise?

Options
I'm continually hearing about this elusive 'high' or just general great post workout feeling that I have NEVER experienced.

What gives? Am I the only one?

I am usually tired/ sore or even a bit dazed after a work out and if I work out early it tends to make me tired and a bit weak all day too.

Anyone else?

Replies

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Sure, I feel pretty bad after certain ones :) After yoga I always feel great. I feel better than I started. Others, not so much. Actually, that is why I do mine after I'm done for the day. Then a snack, a hot shower and not long till bed. I feel good again the next day, so it's all good, I figure.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Dehydration?
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I go to spinning on a Sunday morning straight from a 12hr shift at work. I generally feel like I'm going to throw up! :sick:

As above poster stated I guess it comes down to what you do & when.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I get really depressed after working out? It's a russian roulette kinda thing with my brain, I just have to cross my fingers and hope that it's not going to happen today.
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I usually feel neutral after exercise. :indifferent: Occasionally I feel elated if it was something really fun, like hiking a nice trail on a sunny day :flowerforyou: . On the other hand, workouts that are too intense just make me feel sick and exhausted, and I just want to go home and collapse on the couch :yawn:

I don't know what your post-workout routine is like, but it's important to cool down and stretch to prevent soreness. If you're not replenishing your body with water, carbs and protein, that could be another reason for feeling tired and sore.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I have to exercise in the evening. After I'm done with my workout all I want is a shower and bed. I've tried on the weekend to workout about noon and all I want to do after is sleep. I know this is how my body does it, so I work out at night. I can sleep better too. I usually sleep all through the night and wake up refreshed.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    How long have you been working out? I experienced plenty of just feeling like crap after workouts when I got back to things several years ago. You'll come around. Workouts are definitely energizing these days, even the hard ones.
  • I used to feel awful! as you get fitter you learn to enjoy it more. I absolutely love running now! :)
    perhapse you are pushing yourself a little too hard. You can also try different types of excersise. Something like Zumba?
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Depends on the work out and the day. Sometimes I'm just extremely tired after and I'm like meh...or sometimes I'm not totally into what I'm doing and I don't care. I try to find things I like doing more than doing things just do to them... I find that helps a bit...I find I'm either SUPER EXCITED or I don't care lol. At some point after I do get a burst of energy but not all the time.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I don't feel good until I get it done.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I usually don't want to do it, but then after I break a sweat, (it takes 10 or 15 minutes), I feel good and that I can work out forever. It takes time to get there though. You might want to change up your exercise. You might be working out too hard or too long and need to ease into it.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I generally feel like throwing up during the HIIT class I do. But I don't, and the results are more important than the way I feel anyway. When I first started it was bad, but now that I'm fitter I feel better.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try eating some carbs or protein before your workout. Something small, so it isn't sitting in your stomach during your workout. Also, if you're not eating enough daily, that would also probably make you feel like crap after. I do zumba, treadmill, and weights,(not at the same time) and I usually feel great after. I might get tired a little later in the day, but I have good reasons to be, since I'm chasing a 2yo around all day. Hahaha. Make sure you're getting enough water too. :)))
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    For the first couple of months of working out I simply hated my life. But it got better, now I even feel that "high" sometimes. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that initially my cardio threshold was very low, now I can get through 40 minutes of cardio with no pain or gasping for breath. It's just a question of practice - you need to train that heart:D
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    are you eating enough to support your exercise. i must admit i still hate exercising. i am clock watching whilst doing it, but once its done and i have showered i do feel good afterwards.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I, um, actually do feel awesome after exercising. Even running, which used to trash me out completely in minutes. The first 10-15 minutes often don't feel so great, though - it's not uncommon for me to get a headache or joint pain or tired feeling and think Oh, I'd better quit because I'm not up to it this time. But that thought is bunk. If I go on, I feel great soon after, as in dancing all the way out the gym doors and running up the stairs to my car great.

If your sessions are short, although it's counterintuitive, you might feel better if you lengthen them. Really!
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    it took me a while to get that feeling after exercise. I was feeling pretty crappy too afterwards, dizzy, sweaty etc.. but I kept going ot the gym, then one day I realized I was smiling at the gym and I was enjoying every second of it (: and I get the feeling now!
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Thanks peeps, I've been working out on a regular basis for over 15 years, karate, running (couch to 5K) gymnastics, ice skating, trampolining and lots of walking, body balance and pump classes.

I am fitter than average but just never feel good afterwards. Never. Never. Never.

My diet is not perfect but is (in my opinion) better than most.

Guess it's just an annoying mystery.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    bad sleep can cause this. If you over caffeinate to compensate.

Could also be food that you eat before working out, volume of food, or the flat out lack of food before a workout.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I'm continually hearing about this elusive 'high' or just general great post workout feeling that I have NEVER experienced.

What gives? Am I the only one?

I am usually tired/ sore or even a bit dazed after a work out and if I work out early it tends to make me tired and a bit weak all day too.

Anyone else?
    I feel great during/after running - most of the time anyway. Weight lifting's a different matter though. A lot of the time, it just makes me feel tired, and kind of depressed. Hard to describe, but almost like it's making me produce some kind of anti-endorphins.