Fitness level dropping?

Options
I've been training for around 2 years now, my exercise schedule generally looks something like this:
Monday: 1hr boxing (with personal trainer)
Tuesday: No training - 10hrs work at boarding kennels as kennel hand (can be quite physical)
Wednesday: Same as Tuesday
Thursday: 1hr kettlebell training (with personal trainer) + 30 min cardio (jogging or cross trainer)
Friday: 1hr circuit training (with personal trainer). Can include some boxing, bodyweight, kettlebells, rope, bands etc.
Saturday: 2 x 30 min cardio
Sunday: 30-45 min walk

The past couple of weeks, my trainer and I have noticed a massive drop in my strength & endurance. I cannot pinpoint why for the life of me!
I'm not sore afterwards from workouts, I just can't complete a strength session, or have to lower the weight from what I'm used to training with to get through. I'm getting pretty frustrated.

It could be any number of things I know, but I guess what I'm really after is some similar experiences from people and what they found was the reason (and how they fixed it!) - it might give me that "Aha!" moment, something I'm just not seeing.

Replies

• aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Overtraining maybe? You don't really have any rest days; your body might just be burning out.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Immediate thoughts:

1) Over training
    2) Under eating, OR under nourished
    3) Lack of sleep
    4) Health issue - low grade infection, allergy, anemia, other undiagnosed disease or condition
  • alc212
    alc212 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Pretty sure it's not sleep related, if anything I seem to be sleeping more.

I'll have a good look at my diet, I didn't really think it would be that as I'm eating plenty, but possibly just not the right kind of plenty.

Overtraining's been mentioned twice... I'll see what I can cut out there. I was kind of treating the two days working at the kennels as rest days, if I think about it though I probably spend a total of an hour of each of those days sitting and the rest running around!
    I'm really aiming for fitness at the moment, my goal is to get into the defence force so I need to get to and maintain a higher level of fitness than I have at the moment.

Thanks again for the replies, you've given me something to think about and work from! :)
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Look at what's changed in your life recently.
    If you've been doing the same sort of program for the last 2 years and only just noticing a drop in strength/energy then I don't think it's over training. Though it definitely could be.
    I see you've only recently joined up to MFP, you don't have your dairy open so can't see what you're targeting or actually eating.
    If you've changed your 'diet' with joining MFP, then I would be leaning towards under eating.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    5) Dehydration.
  • Lemongrab1
    Lemongrab1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating?
    Your exercise regime is quite intense and you don't seem to have any proper rest days. But if you've been doing it for so long, then it's unlikely your body just realized it's too much (though it's possible).
    My best guess is that your diet is either lacking in calories or you're malnourished. Not enough protein, for example.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Have you taken any time at maintenace level or above in the last two years?
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I have noticed the same thing lately. I also feel like i am not recovering from the soreness as quickly as i used to. There are some great answers that were given. It is quite frustrating when you cant finish your reps of something that used to be easy for you or you can barely make it thru a workout you have done millions of times. Def something to look at from all angles that were given.

1. Over training....i am just now starting to take a step back in my training and some what start from the beginning again ( with stretching that i stopped doing, and less weight to just build back up and take an extra rest day or two in the week) Hopefully in a few weeks i will feel back to normal after listening to my body instead of just telling it what to do.
  • alc212
    alc212 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    So far I haven't made any big changes to conform to what MFP is telling me - it's only been a couple of days that I've been tracking and what I've been eating is pretty much what I normally eat; perhaps a touch less of something once I see exactly what's in it, but no major changes yet - I figured once I had a better picture of my diet I'd start to make the big changes. I've unlocked my diary if anyone wants to take a look.

I didn't think about being dehydrated, I drink around 3.5L of water a day - should I be upping that?

Thanks again for everyones input and advice, I really appreciate it :)
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I'm going to vote that 1200 calories a day is not enough to support the amount of exercise you are doing. If you are working with a trainer they should be able to help you find the target range you should be eating at for you level of activity/fitness.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Do you drink half of that before training? Or once you get thirsty?

Actually, if you're eating 1200 kcals a day, that's barely enough to bother getting out of bed let alone move!
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Do you drink half of that before training? Or once you get thirsty?

Actually, if you're eating 1200 kcals a day, that's barely enough to bother getting out of bed let alone move!

This is very true. If you are going to only do 1200 calories a day then you should eat your exercise calories back at least. You are burning alot of calories. Your body needs the fuel and nutrition to get you thru. I have learned this the hard way ( and it took me several times to get it thru my head) You really cant do one without the other ( diet and exercise) you need to work on them both at the same time.

I fill a 24 oz water bottle and refill it at least 4 times from waking to bed time. Sometimes more.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    Do you frequently take aspirin or other NSAIDs? I had a friend who routinely took some type of NSAID after workouts. After about a year and a half he felt gradually weaker and had more difficulty with cardio as well. It turned out that the drug caused a small ulcer that was bleeding. He collapsed one day, spent a few days in the hospital and had to have a transfusion.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    On Sunday, stay home lay on the couch and have a pizza.. (or your favorite meal).. then get back at it on monday.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Immediate thoughts:

1) Over training
    3) Lack of sleep
    4) Health issue - low grade infection, allergy, anemia, other undiagnosed disease or condition

These plus dehydration. Typically if my performance starts going backwards I take a week off for rest and come back even better. But I know my sleep, hydration and caloric intake are all good so it's 99% a rest/recovery issue.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    People, Lighten up a little at the 1200cal bit.
    She said she hasn't actually changed her diet yet, and if you went back through she is accounting for exercise, and eating those cals.
    Immediate thoughts:

1) Over training
    3) Lack of sleep

These plus dehydration. Typically if my performance starts going backwards I take a week off for rest and come back even better. But I know my sleep, hydration and caloric intake are all good so it's 99% a rest/recovery issue.

This is the best list to work through, maybe a weeks break will revitalise you. Though you've been doing this for a while and that make over training a little less likely, it could be you were just on the edge and have finally pushed your body that bit too far. ALL Athletes especially the professional ones have a few days to a week off here and there over the course of the year.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    My gut says diet is the key and maybe sleep. If you have a personal trainer it would be worthwhile to work with a dietician or at the very least a nutritionist. After that, maybe go get some blood work done and just check basic things like thyroid, blood sugar, iron level, etc.