Zumba = bulky muscles?

Options

Replies

• Lemongrab1
    Lemongrab1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Wth is with some women and this bulky muscle crap?
    At the rate these types of women actually exercise, it would take them a couple of millennia to get bulky muscles.
    2 strides per minute on the elliptical.
  • AnexRavensong
    AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    "Skinny in a healthy way" but without muscles? Does that exist? Why are people afraid of muscles?! Ever since I started eating more I've gotten muscles and now have less body fat and fit in smaller clothes! O_o

You're not going to turn into the Hulk. You can't get all buff unless you INTENTIONALLY want to get that way. Takes a ton of food and for women some sort of steroids.

Reminds me of this pic:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=522542131131532&set=a.401622213223525.109046.398751400177273&type=1&theater

Anyway, I doubt Zumba will give you huge calf muscles, again, muscles need FOOD to exist and a lot of it. If you're one of those 1200 cal people on Zumba, you won't gain muscle.. and you probably won't lose weight after a while either, but that is another discussion.

PS: I'm not trying to rag on you, the question you asked is understandable for someone looking for information (that is why we ASK), but I'm really bothered when I see women afraid of muscle because they think they will turn into the hulk. It just isn't possible.
  • 2012loseit
    2012loseit Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Zumba is fun, give it a try!!

i have the Xbox game of it and dance around my family room like an idiot (while no one is home!) I have found my waist has got smaller and i can feel my stomach muscles after i have really pushed myself.

There are some aquatic centres that do water zumba, just try it and have fun!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Your friend is an idiot sorry.
  • dianamatienzo
    Options
    Ignore the snark. We're all at different places in our fitness and health education journeys.

But I agree, go forth and Zumba. You won't get bulky.

Amen! :)
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Your friend is an idiot sorry.

this.
  • Sandigesha
    Sandigesha Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    As far as i know, Zumba is very dangerous for women, who are not wanting to look like huge muscular men. Effects of Zumba have been classified by scientists as "similar, or in some cases superior mass builder than most steroids on the market ". If you've already made mistake, and accidently done some Zumba, avoid eating protein for next 3 weeks, to minimise bulking effects of hypetrophy-gene, activated by Zumba.Also, avoid walking, as it will have a "superset effect" on your calves, making them swole to the point where you can't put yout feet together. Hope you don't look like Arnold in his best years yet. Get well, good luck!
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    wolverine_facepalm.gif
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    No, you won't get bulky muscles. Yes you should go ahead and do it if you want. Your friend doesn't have a clue.

You get bulky muscles, by eating lots (a surplus of calories) and by lifting with the intention of hypertrophy (gaining muscle) for a significant period of time. Testosterone (a mostly male hormone), and a little extra body fat helps a lot too.

Since zumba is cardio, your chances of gaining muscle doing it are next to nothing, and I'm going to assume you're not in a calorie surplus, so you shouldn't gain anything, fat or muscle.
  • percypat
    Options
    Zumba instructor here. You know what I'm going to say as everyone has said it already :)

Go forth and shake your thang <3
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Zumba doesn't cause bulky muscles. I do it twice a week plus strength training and ab work and I have streamlined my body
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Yes all the top bodybuilders incorporate zumba for its muscle building efficiency
  • zophiel67
    Options
    You're good to Zumba all you want. I have what I've always called "soccer player calves" (which I admit to hating, but I'm trying to get over that) and even I'm not worried about my calves getting big on Zumba.

In an effort to save your friend, though, I might know why she said that. She's horribly misinformed, but it would make sense to someone who doesn't know. When I first tried Zumba, my calves were quite sore afterwards. She (or someone she knows, or a friend of a friend) might have experienced that same thing. The difference is that your calves are sore from lactic acid buildup, not microdamage. Lactic acid builds up during cardio when you're not getting enough oxygen to the muscles you're working, and the calves work pretty hard during Zumba just because of all the little steps. But it doesn't add up to muscle building. Microdamage is when you've stressed your muscles to the point where microscopic tears occur, and this is done with heavy lifting. That's what ends up building muscle as the tissue repairs itself. *But* as so many others have pointed out, women don't build bulky muscle naturally. So even lifting heavy doesn't usually result in looking over-muscled. Unless, of course, you're supplementing steroids or testosterone or have a huge natural surplus. Your doctor can check that for you if you're really that worried.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    This is how I bulk up. Do Zumba on top of a stability ball to spot reduce fatty thighs.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Yes all the top bodybuilders incorporate zumba for its muscle building efficiency

I think I would pay good money to see massively muscled men doing zumba..........
  • tjthegreatone
    Options

I think I would pay good money to see massively muscled men doing zumba..........
    So would I :laugh:
    Can't stand Zumba though. All that wiggling and shaking hips and stuff *shudder*
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Oh my god
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    zumba is fun but I can't see it leading to bulking up muscles. I have increased the size of my calf on both legs from c25k and for me I can tell, but it is nowhere near in the league of a body builder and I expect no one but me ever notices the increase in bulk lol. I expect your friend's legs have just shaped up a little to where they really should be as opposed to flabby.
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    As far as i know, Zumba is very dangerous for women, who are not wanting to look like huge muscular men. Effects of Zumba have been classified by scientists as "similar, or in some cases superior mass builder than most steroids on the market ". If you've already made mistake, and accidently done some Zumba, avoid eating protein for next 3 weeks, to minimise bulking effects of hypetrophy-gene, activated by Zumba.Also, avoid walking, as it will have a "superset effect" on your calves, making them swole to the point where you can't put yout feet together. Hope you don't look like Arnold in his best years yet. Get well, good luck!

:drinker:
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

Crap - Why didn't someone tell me this? And I've wasting all this time lifting heavy things....<sigh>