Umbilical Hernia repair and exercise

Options
Hey Just wondered whether anybody had had one of these and how their recovery went?

I will be 4 weeks done on Tuesday. I have just spoken to the nurse who said that I could go back to gentle spin. I said about just doing body weight stuff until after 6 weeks and she was well make sure that you listen to your body. Which I totally understand. I wouldn't have touched the weights until after 6 weeks + anyway.

So was just wondering whether anybody had the same and what they did afterwards. Also, what sort of exercises could I do which doesn't really involve the core, bodyweight wise?

thanks,.

Replies

• estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    bumping
  • justformel
    justformel Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have had this surgery twice now, a year apart. The first one was emergency cause my intestine was stuck in it, then a year later I ripped the mesh off while working out. Its been a year since the last surgery and I'm positive I have at least 1 more maybe 2, probably from overdoing it. I followed all the rules the drs gave me, waited the times I needed to, but I know once you have one you need to be very careful cause your core muscles are weakened from the surgery. Like I know I can't do pull ups on the assisted machine anymore cause it pulls at the surgical sites and I feel the staples ripping through. Learned that the hard way.

This past year I pretty much did nothing but try and let my body heal and I can still tell there are issues in there. My advice is take it easy for many months, then its a trial and error, if you feel any discomfort, stop and remember what happened and what you were doing and avoid it.

The recovery and after the surgery was so painful and I got hooked on pills, that I don't want to go through surgery again, which is why I haven't talked to my dr about the new ones I know I have. I also have a fused spine with clamps supporting it, so I know what pain is, and the hernia repair was almost as bad as the 8 wks I was in bed after my back surgery.

Good luck!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I had one and my surgery was in late May. I was walking at 3 weeks, pushing my walks further in weeks 4 - 6, and started lifting week 8. I was tentative at first, but by the third month I was back to 100%.
  • Ive had this surgery 9 times now and I just did what I felt like my body could do as I healed. Unfortunately since having this surgery so many times I now have constant pain due to all the scare tissue. I have to compress the spot when jogging or walking fast. I wish you the best and a speedy recovery. ;)
  • estelle74uk
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses. Really appreciate it.

I suppose I just have to take it easy when I start out. Just didn't realize how much this would effect me and what I do.

Will take all your advice and go slow with it all

:)
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Good luck! My brother had the surgery, and while I don't know how long it took for him to exercise, I do know it kicked his *kitten* for at least the first week. Apparently the surgery is really painful, yeah. He's really fit (white water rescue).

I have one, but it causes no problems. I'm keeping mine, lol ;)
  • JDySart777
    JDySart777 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I had a small umbilical hernia repaired this past October. I started exercising again around March. I completed the entire insanity program and now I lift heavy on a regular...I don't do an insane amount of sit up and crunches, but I do try to fit core workouts in 1 or 2 days a week.
  • estelle74uk
    Options
    I had a small umbilical hernia repaired this past October. I started exercising again around March. I completed the entire insanity program and now I lift heavy on a regular...I don't do an insane amount of sit up and crunches, but I do try to fit core workouts in 1 or 2 days a week.

Wow u had to wait that long?
  • brupic
    Options
    had laparoscopic 2 wks and 5 days ago. Began walking 1 mile on day 4 day 6..2 miles..... day 7....4 miles..... day 8 5.5 miles and been walking 5.5 almost every day since. Virtually no pain now swelling is almost gone. I am a cyclist and plan to begin gentle spin indoor in 3 days and serious cycling at the end of the 4th week. I teach spin and cycle intensely and plan to be back in full mode by week 6.
    The first 4 days are tough...I walked around a lot in the house starting day 3 .....and totally mobile by day 6.
  • muggzie399
    muggzie399 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    That is good to hear. My husband needs it done and he keeps putting it off. He is not worried about how much time coming back, he worried he could get mersa or sepsus. He has RA and a bad case of either could cause death to someone with no immune system.