Which is more important: calories, fat, protein or carbs?

MericoX
MericoX Posts: 199 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
So I've been reading a lot of food labels lately, trying to pick out the healthiest option. On some foods, one will be regular and then there is a fat free, or reduced fat, low sodium, etc. option.

Sometimes the calories are the same, one will have few carbs, but more fat than the other, and so I'm getting confused. Is there a certain one (calories, fat, protein, or carbs) that I should use as the deciding factor?

Thanks in advance!
Mere

Replies

• It depends on what you want to eat that day, I am trying to eat less sugar and fat so that is my goal. As long as you stay within your caloric range, you should be fine. I think low sodium is always a good option, No one needs too much salt. Hope this helps.

Vanessa
  • unknownndoll
    unknownndoll Posts: 161 Member
    in a comparison, i always choose fewer carbs, higher protein, lower fat pretty much in that order (not as concerned about fat as with carbs). I don't think you can ever go wrong with out some of the extra carbs.

edit to add- CALORIES ARE #1, macros are secondary!!
  • Tricky to answer, mostly because when you take away one thing, something else is added to make up for it-- example: most fat free foods have added sugar that their reduced fat cousins don't have. For the most part, lower sodium is just that without all the extras added in to make up for it, so I do try to get LS stuff. Personally I'd rather take a few more grams of fat (and just cut back on the portion) of a reduced fat item than the extra sugar in the fat free version.
  • RMX82
    RMX82 Posts: 172
    Well calories are certainly number 1.

After that, if two products are the same look for the one with less fat or lower sodium. I personally don't care about carbs so I don't really bother with those. Also, some fat in your diet is good, so don't lower your fat intake too low.
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Your body needs all of the above to function properly - the key is to picking the right ones. For example: You actually need fat but not all fats are equal - 100 calories of avocado is 100% better of a choice than 100 calories of mayonnaise. A whole wheat tortilla with 32 g of carbs is a much better choice than a flour tortilla with 32 g of carbs. So, when you learn which form of carbs, fat and protein are what you should be eating - couple that with the recommended amount of each for your calorie intake and some exercise and there you go!
  • bethinagain
    bethinagain Posts: 282 Member
    I was confused about his also, when I first started. So I went with calorie intake only. Stayed with healthy foods and to my surprise.....I was under on carbs and fat and was a little over on protien (which is ok).

So, if you stay within you calorie goal and eat good healthy foods the rest just follows suit. Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    :flowerforyou: Here's my 2 cents worth: Fresh fruits and vegetables don't have labels, but are packed with great nutrition! Make them an everyday part of your diet. It's a great time of year to kick start that habit.

Good luck with your journey.:drinker: :drinker:

:heart: Rebel:heart:
  • KPaden1221
    KPaden1221 Posts: 433
    Calories are definitely NUMERO UNO!! But carbs are 2nd for me.. just bc my body does not process complex carbs, such as bread, potatoes, pastas, sweets, etc like it should.. and a single piece of bread can pack on 10 lbs (exagerations)... But It just depends on your body and your needs.. I'm trying to learn to eat only things with skin, here recently that's not been a reality bc we're moving and remodeling and haven't had air and etc...... So.. once things get settled back down it's gonna be all fresh fruits and veggies and grilled meats...
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    I found it easiest to start with just watching calories. After I felt comfortable with that (2 years), I started trying to make my protein goal each day with food choices. My carbs and sugars naturally went down when I started this.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    I found it easiest to start with just watching calories. After I felt comfortable with that (2 years), I started trying to make my protein goal each day with food choices. My carbs and sugars naturally went down when I started this.

Like this. It's kind of like a pyamid. Let me worry about getting my caloires under control. Over the course of adjusting to that, you will get a good feel for what you like, what keeps you full, and what doesn't.

Then once you get the hang of that you can adjust your macro nutrients to your needs.
This discussion has been closed.