Curious: hot lemon water.

Options
Hi guys,

I've seen countless articles that highlight the benefits of starting your day with a cup of hot water with a squeeze of lemon. It aids digestion with all the citric acid, cleanses your system & all the other good stuff I'm sure you guys have read about somewhere.

I tried doing that for a week (instead of the usual morning coffee) and everyday, I end up with a tummy ache - the kind of pain where it's impossible to stand up & the only comfortable position is curling up in a ball (of pain) :noway:

Do you guys start your day with hot water + lemon? :drinker:

B

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Um.. no. :noway:
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I really think it must be something other than the water and lemon. I drink water and lemon (but not hot, just tepid) all the time. It's my drink of choice :) I have never heard of it being some sort of "cleanse"

Is your pain relieved by a bowel movement? Are you sure you aren't taking any stimulant supplements?
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Drink the lemon water if you like the lemon water, but do not rely on it for weight loss or cleansing your system. Our bodies are pretty efficient machines, which is why we poop and pee. Yeah! Cleansed! On another note, why on earth would you continue drinking something that is causing so much pain? :huh:
  • arose544
    arose544 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I love hot water with lemon!! never had a problem though. maybe something else is going on with your body. Or, maybe you bought a bad lemon?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Drink the lemon water if you like the lemon water, but do not rely on it for weight loss or cleansing your system. Our bodies are pretty efficient machines, which is why we poop and pee. Yeah! Cleansed! On another note, why on earth would you continue drinking something that is causing so much pain? :huh:

Ditto. No drink will "cleanse" you or "rev up your metabolism". If you don't like it, don't drink it.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    Options
    Curious: If it hurt every morning, why did you keep drinking it? I would have stopped after the first morning.

It isn't going to do anything for you except maybe give you a tiny bit of Vitamin C. If it hurts, a tiny bit of Vitamin C isn't worth it.
  • silvernix2
    silvernix2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking it on an empty stomach?

For myself at least, the Acid would cause major issues. Even if I drink Tea or Coffee plain with no additives in the early morning with nothing else my stomach will feel crappy.

If you want to keep drinking that, try it with food if you aren't already. If you are.. I'm at a loss.
  • NanzyBoek
    NanzyBoek Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I love hot water with lemon!! never had a problem though. maybe something else is going on with your body. Or, maybe you bought a bad lemon?

Ah ha a bad lemon. What kind of luck does she have?! Funny.

I drink warm lemon water every morning. I find now I even crave it. Yum.
    If I was rolling over in pain from it, I would stop. Funny.
  • LemonLizard
    LemonLizard Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've never done the lemon, but sometimes I do a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses in coffee or water in the morning, for extra calcium and iron.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

I've seen countless articles that highlight the benefits of starting your day with a cup of hot water with a squeeze of lemon. It aids digestion with all the citric acid, cleanses your system & all the other good stuff I'm sure you guys have read about somewhere.

I tried doing that for a week (instead of the usual morning coffee) and everyday, I end up with a tummy ache - the kind of pain where it's impossible to stand up & the only comfortable position is curling up in a ball (of pain) :noway:

B

I prefer to start my day with a nice cup of warm hot dog water. So cleansing!
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I drink a tall glass of ice water first thing in the morning every day. It seems to make my day start nicely. I can't deal with the acidity of citrus fruits. Major owies for me.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I start my morning with a cup of Dunkin Donuts strawberry shortcake coffee. Don't torture yourself. I, personally, like lemon water but if it's making you miserable don't do it!!
  • snejkaxo
    snejkaxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    http://lajollamom.com/2011/01/drink-warm-lemon-water-in-the-morning/

You can see similar articles as one above all over the Internet. I tried to find the one that made me get on the lemon bandwagon, but quick search was not fruitful. I remember seeing a Vimeo video of a lady in her mid 60s, who claimed that drinking lemon water (in addition to healthy eating and exercising of course) was key to her looking not a day older than 40. I figured, hey that's easy. As a minimum, I'll be getting a good amount of vitamin C. I drink warm lemon water all day long, and I love it. I can't drink plain water, I need something added, and lemon does the trick. You gotta wait for another 20 years though, for me to say if I got the same effects as the lady in the video that I saw a while back. :)
  • missbrendalynn
    missbrendalynn Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Probably should have mentioned it's not like a 3 day detox cleanse thing - it's more like a start everyday with a glass of hot water + lemon. Kinda like morning coffee/tea, I suppose.

I had it for a week ONLY (started for experimental purposes haha & stopped because of the pain, obviously) but I was curious if anyone else have heard of/tried it and if they have, did they suffer from pain as well.

The pain is an intense wringing of the stomach sensation not relieve-able by bowel movement and it subsides after half an hour..ish?

I thought it was a bad lemon too at first and went out to get a fresh one but no, same thing!

I do drink it on an empty stomach though!! Oooh this might be it haha thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    WHUT? :huh: No...

ETA: I do start my day with a cup of hot water. After it's been filtered through coffee grounds.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    :noway:
    I've never started my day with lemon water.

Coffee water? Absolutely.
  • nyla2120
    nyla2120 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

B

I prefer to start my day with a nice cup of warm hot dog water. So cleansing!

What is dog water? The water left over after your bathe your dog?
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Try using a bit less lemon juice in your warm water. It is supposed to help with digestion and can cause some stimulant type effects. If it is severe, maybe cut back until your system is back on track.

:drinker:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I start my day with a cup of hot water infused with the the leaves of Camellia sinensis and bergamot

Also known as "Earl Grey tea"

I have no idea if it helps or hinders my fitness goals or if it cleanses my system or anything like that, but it tastes good, that's what matters.

Drink what you like as a hot drink in the morning, coffee and tea won't harm your progress, it may even help........ just make sure you log everything carefully. The vast majority of advice like "drink water infused with lemon every morning to cleanse your system" does not come from science. Maybe it comes from lemon salesmen, but it doesn't come from science so if you don't actually enjoy drinking it, and would prefer to drink coffee, then drink coffee. Just log the calories.