Temptations - We shall overcome! ...Right?

Options
My parents are elderly. My mother, who is like the energizer bunny, often takes trips. My father, who has had health issues, remains at home and I see to his needs while my Mom's away. Sometimes, seeing to my father requires getting food items for him that I would otherwise never go near.

Last week, my father asked me to get him fried chicken for lunch. It was pretty much like putting a hypodermic filled with heroin in front of two week recovering addict. By the time I got the food to him, I was in knots. Fried chicken one of my worst temptations. I can't "have a piece in moderation." When I get started... let's just say there are barely bones left.

I don't know how women with families can even manage to diet. All that food around them for the kids, having to prepare meals or hit the fast food joints because life is all zoom, zoom, zoom.

I got through the episode with my father with brute force. I just gritted my teeth and got through it. But it really took it's toll on me. I struggled the rest of the day and I was a little resentful. In his defense, my father didn't know I was two weeks into my dedicated attempt to make changes. And I did express to him that of all the things he asks, this one was the most difficult and trying. And to his credit, he said he would not ask that of me again, and hasn't.

I know we don't have to live our lives in complete deprivation. I told myself that it was up to me. I could make the decision to have the chicken at any time. But I have made a commitment and only I could see to it's success or failure. In my thought process, I supposed that one meal wouldn't make or break me. But, in truth, fried chicken, or any fried food, isn't really a healthy thing to have. I'm not looking at this from a calorie aspect. I'm looking at it from a "what is best to nourish my body" aspect. I don't see fried foods fitting in there ever. And I'm not a believer in rewarding myself with food. These were some of the thoughts I had as I talked myself through the experience with my father.

What I'd like to know is, what is your biggest temptation, and how do you work through or around it?

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I found recipes for healthier versions of the food I really love like oven baked breaded chicken instead of fried. I have gotten to the point now that the original version is too greasy and heavy for me to handle. I still stay away for bagged potato chips ( my downfall). I do make baked homemade ones occasionally but control with a big bag is still hard so I stay away.
  • Mrsbostwick
    Mrsbostwick Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    While I wouldn't say I have a "biggest temptation", I have the snack problem. Anything my kids eat as a "snack" I end up eating also.

My husband was recently diagnosed with type II diabetes. While it wasn't a complete surprise, I knew that as the backbone of the house, that I had to be the one to make the serious changes or my husband would never make it through.

So, since then, the whole family has been eating better. No more "snacks" that the children used to have, only fresh veggies, fruits, cheese sticks and what not.

We plan ahead when we might go out to eat. I print off the nutritional information so that my husband and I can choose what we are going to have when we go out.

Last night we went to Red Lobster for my brother in laws birthday. Since hubby is diabetic, that means very low carbs. He had his dinner picked out ahead of time, but we had forgotten about the evil cheddar biscuits that they set out at every table. Dear husband glanced over at me with that pity look in his eyes and I had to tell him no, and he didn't have any. I had to whisper to him that it is either keep living or keep eating this food that is bad for him. I was very proud of him (and myself!)

Unfortunately that temptation is everywhere we go. It is so awesome that your dad agrees not to ask you for that anymore, and I think more people need positive people in their lives while going through these struggles.

I also have some "friends" (I guess you can call them that) who will say, "oh just have one" of whatever I crave. I cannot do it. Having one is impossible for me, I would just want more.

So, next time you get the temptation, ask yourself........live an awesome life or eat that chicken. Lol! I know I didn't help much but just something I am going through as well. :)
  • MMMendoza007
    MMMendoza007 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I found recipes for healthier versions of the food I really love like oven baked breaded chicken instead of fried. I have gotten to the point now that the original version is too greasy and heavy for me to handle. I still stay away for bagged potato chips ( my downfall). I do make baked homemade ones occasionally but control with a big bag is still hard so I stay away.

I really like this idea. In fact, I'm kind of on a mission to find healthy substitutes for my favorites. That said, though, there will probably always be a few foods that are just plain off the list. But I'm ok with that if it means I don't have to take medication to compensate for unhealthy eating.
  • MMMendoza007
    MMMendoza007 Posts: 157 Member
    Options

Last night we went to Red Lobster for my brother in laws birthday. Since hubby is diabetic, that means very low carbs. He had his dinner picked out ahead of time, but we had forgotten about the evil cheddar biscuits that they set out at every table. Dear husband glanced over at me with that pity look in his eyes and I had to tell him no, and he didn't have any. I had to whisper to him that it is either keep living or keep eating this food that is bad for him. I was very proud of him (and myself!)

That takes strength. It's fairly easy to deny ourselves. But having to deny someone we love is plain awful!