Nothing is Happening!

Options
This is the first time I have worked out or dieted at all since high school. I have drastically reduced my calorie intake, (had no idea I was at 3000 calories a day) so now Im at 1200. I try my best to cut out processed foods, I dont eat hydrogenated oil or high fructose corn syrup. I only eat sprouted grain and lean proteins. I drink 8 8oz glasses of water a day. I never drink soda or coffee. I do at least 35 minutes of cardio 6-7 days a week and one month later....nothing. No lost inches, only 2 lost pounds and I'm pretty sure that was water weight. What am I doing wrong? Could it be my metabolic type? Am I not working out enough? Is it the wrong kind of work out? I know people say that strength training help burns more fat, but I am already too muscular I think. I need some ideas...

Replies

• Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    May I ask how much you weigh now and how much you want to lose? My guess is that your calories are too low, especially if you're exercising that much. What does MFP put you at for calories?
  • sarahricks
    sarahricks Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Do you eat your exercise calories? It looks like you might not be getting ehough calories. You shouldn't be reducing your calorie intake more than 1000 a day less then your maintence point.
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Very wise of you to start asking questions. That is critical to your success. I note that your diary is open for viewing. Honestly logging every thing you eat and drink will definitely pay off for you. :smile: :smile: so good for you!!

:smile: Looking at your food log it appears you are not eating much - if any - in the way of fresh veggies and fruit. You can eat a lot of veggies and fruits every day that provide you with tons of nutrition and still remain under your calorie goal. Your mind will be clearer, your gut will thank you and the weight will come off.

:smile: More small meals in a day rather than a few big ones often helps in making better choices. It looks like you may be skipping meals. Never a good idea.

I think a 1200 calorie diet is just fine for now. But take a look at the composition of nutrition. Maybe trace your fiber intake. You should be at least at 30 grams per day. Do that for a week or so and see what results you get. My diary is always open for viewing. So feel free to check it out.

Good luck on your journey. There is lots of support here.

:heart: Rebel :heart:
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    you could also try eating every 3-4 hours (carb+protein) it keeps your metabolism up
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    You need to strength train. The thing that's gonna up your metabolism is gaining lean muscle. If your cardio is super-vigorous (like running), you're most likely burning MUSCLE, which is not good for your metabolic rate (and weight loss).

You also really want to build up on veggies. The fiber will help lose weight (really well). Sadly, processed foods are often low in fiber (And TJ's frozen foods do count as processed :cry: ).

I'm sure you'll get there!
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    You need to strength train. The thing that's gonna up your metabolism is gaining lean muscle. If your cardio is super-vigorous (like running), you're most likely burning MUSCLE, which is not good for your metabolic rate (and weight loss).

You also really want to build up on veggies. The fiber will help lose weight (really well). Sadly, processed foods are often low in fiber (And TJ's frozen foods do count as processed :cry: ).

I'm sure you'll get there!

I agree with the strength training. Unless you're on something you cannot become muscular like a man.
  • tlowder
    tlowder Posts: 21
    Options
    Hi Super!
    I could have written this post 6 months ago. I think what I have learned the most that is worthy of passing along is to have patience. The changes you are making are ones that you want to keep for many years so if it takes awhile to lose the weight, know that you are setting yourself up for a long term success. I also began to see the numbers move more when I made a conscious decision to increase my exercise intensity. Whether it was adding more hills to my walks, jogging a bit (which I don't think I'll ever love) or trying new DVDs (30-day shred, yoga burn) I realized that I needed to work up a sweat a few times a week. Hang in there!
  • SuperSushiLove
    Options
    I weight 183 right now but would like to be at 130-135. MFP says I should be eating 1200 calories a day, this doesn't seem like much to me because I was a chronic over eater, but I never go to bed hungry...I can't stand it
  • SuperSushiLove
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice and support people! :)
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hi Super. I glanced at your food diary and while your calorie count is good, the substance of your calories could be improved. More fresh veggies and fruit, more substantial meals (some of yours are sweets/treats only), and cutting out (or severely limiting) your alcohol intake might yield better results for you on the scale. They say alcohol does more detriment to a diet than just empty calories...it slows down your metabolism in general. This is a struggle for me since I LOVE beer! :)

Anyway, keep up the efforts, keep exercising, and change up your meal plan to be more substantial and you will surely start seeing results! Half the battle is realizing you want to make changes and making the effort, which you've obviously done! Good luck.
  • kelbennett
    Options
    I totally understand your frustration! I started working out 5 days a week at the beginning of March and as of the end of July, I had lost nothing! That is when I decided I HAD to keep a check on my calorie intake. That's why I signed up on here! I am also trying to do 1200 calories a day. My goal is around 35 lbs. I started Monday. I'm hoping with the work outs AND calorie control, I actually get somewhere. Good luck on your journey!
  • leakewh
    leakewh Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Did I see Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer and French Fries for dinner...???
  • SuperSushiLove
    Options
    Lol, that was a very sad day...but what can I say, I'm 27 and I like to party. And when I party I like fries. LOL. I have cut back my partying from 3-4 nights a week to just one. Ya gotta live it up occasionally, otherwise, whats the point? ;)