Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I can't sleep

I just can't sleep, and it's really starting to effect me. I go to bed, wake up an hour later and my eyes are open for the rest of the night. WTH is this? It's been like this for almost a month. I don't drink, I don't smoke. I've got pills I could take (not sleeping pills), but I don't like taking pills. I've hit a wall today. Someone has to have a suggestion.

Sorry if I get b*tchy around here. I'm just so damn tired.

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Mine's not that bad. I usually get a few hours in before I wake up and just can't fall back to sleep. I've been thinking about taking some Tylenol PM or something, but I don't like pills either.
  • Melatonin. Yes, it's a pill but it's natural and works with the chemicals in your brain that induce sleep. It's non habit forming and you wake up refreshed the next morning. I take it every night.

Also try some chamomile tea an hour or so before bed.

Soak in a hot bath.

Don't watch tv, work on the computer or anything like that up to an hour before going to bed. Something about the lights stimulating the brain and causing sleeplessness. Also try reading for a few hours before you go to sleep too. I find that reading or doing some sort of puzzle makes me tired really fast.

Another thing: Are you under stress? Is there something on your mind that's bothering you that when you wake up you keep thinking about?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,010 Member
    Eat some turkey and drink some warm milk just before bed.
  • Thank you Jen. I hope you can find relief as well. I'm not working out today. I've got to slow down or something.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    I just can't sleep, and it's really starting to effect me. I go to bed, wake up an hour later and my eyes are open for the rest of the night. WTH is this? It's been like this for almost a month. I don't drink, I don't smoke. I've got pills I could take (not sleeping pills), but I don't like taking pills. I've hit a wall today. Someone has to have a suggestion.

Sorry if I get b*tchy around here. I'm just so damn tired.

I know this sounds boring, but see a doctor. The sleeplessness could be a symtom of something else. Over time this can cause some serious problems.

I suffer from this also, but it is more symtomatic with me because of some of my disabilities. A good night for me is is 4 hours and its been this way for 10+ years. Was at a much lower level of sleep till i went to the doctor and we continuously montor it to ensure it does not lead to other things.
  • Oh more people posted ... thanks! I think I'm all set on the turkey =P. I dunno about stress. I'm freaking happy. I'm just happy with everything. I didnt take it seriously at first because I just felt good. Now I'm starting to feel it.

thank you peeps
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Eat some turkey and drink some warm milk just before bed.

Mmm turkey. Thanksgiving is just around the corner. Maybe I'll make a practice turkey ahead of time.
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    My daughter has never been much of a sound sleeper, so I've been giving her melatonin. It helps get her into a sound sleep and when she does wake up, she's able to get back over quickly. Best wishes :flowerforyou:
  • Mobilemuscle
    Mobilemuscle Posts: 945 Member
    possibly overtrained?

remember less than 6 hours sleep a night pretty much crushes the immune system by about 30% for the day and makes us pre-diabetic for the next 24 hours.... so get it figured out!
  • spookiefox
    spookiefox Posts: 215 Member
    Oh more people posted ... thanks! I think I'm all set on the turkey =P. I dunno about stress. I'm freaking happy. I'm just happy with everything. I didnt take it seriously at first because I just felt good. Now I'm starting to feel it.

thank you peeps

I second the advice to see a doctor. Sleep disorders can really screw up your life. Our bodies make physical repairs during stage 4 NREM (delta) sleep--the deepest stage--and if you're working out and not getting restorative sleep you're setting yourself up for chronic pain. Mental health depends on stage 2 REM sleep.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    melatonin is great, and if you take a few hours to calm before you actually want to go to sleep that may help. I usually read for a little while with a low light and cool room, this helps me to get sleepy.

BTW, I used to exercise in the evening, and that seemed to make me unable to sleep, it has been better since I started exercising in the morning.
  • lessofme43
    lessofme43 Posts: 139 Member
    I suffered with this for many years, I've been pre-menopausal for years now, with hot flashes, night-sweats, etc. I started using a natural progesterone cream at night which sent me off to la-la-land in no time and helped with the other symptoms as well. In recent months, I've not used the cream because I felt like I was doing ok without it. I ordered mine from altmednetwork.net.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member

I know this sounds boring, but see a doctor. The sleeplessness could be a symtom of something else. Over time this can cause some serious problems.

I suffer from this also, but it is more symtomatic with me because of some of my disabilities. A good night for me is is 4 hours and its been this way for 10+ years. Was at a much lower level of sleep till i went to the doctor and we continuously montor it to ensure it does not lead to other things.

I agree with you on this... my insomnia was a huge symptom, still is, of my hypothyroidism. One of the main reasons I went to the doc and demanding they figure out wtf was going on was because of the inability to sleep.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    When I was having trouble staying asleep, I went to the health food store and picked up some Valerian Root and made tea, sweetened with a little honey. Worked great. I also mixed in some Chamomile, for taste. That said, should you go that route and you are on prescription meds, double check with your doctor before getting into a Valerian Root habit.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    what is your room environment like? TV, computers, lights, loud noises? Do you have a routine for bed? Do you have a method to calm your thoughts? white noise or very soft music/talk?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,887 Member
    Couple of suggestions:

Don't work out to close when you go to sleep
    Don't drink and drinks with stimulants (caffeine) in them to close to bed
    Turn off all lights and try to make the room really quiet
    Don't nap in the day if you do now

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Thank you guys so much! I truly appreciate your help.
  • thank you Jerry. I posted back to you on my wall. =)
  • possibly overtrained?

remember less than 6 hours sleep a night pretty much crushes the immune system by about 30% for the day and makes us pre-diabetic for the next 24 hours.... so get it figured out!

I've been working out twice a day, so this is my guess as well. thanks.

(It's not that I meant to, it just happens sometimes)
  • annie4dhokies
    annie4dhokies Posts: 24 Member
    yep! agree with the melatonin...I haven't been sleeping well the past few weeks and started taking melatonin about an hour before I want to fall asleep. it definitely works and no "hangover" the next morning! :smile: