Locovore

Options
I try to avoid chains whenever I can. I really want to support the burgeoning restaurant scene in my city, when I do chose to eat out. HOWEVER, since Buffalo doesn't require posted nutrition facts, it's really hard to get a good calorie count on whatever you're eating. What do y'all do? Just go lax on that one meal? Try to find a similar meal in the database? These seem like the only options to me, but I'd like to hear what a lot of you choose to do.

Replies

• CEThornton
    Options
    I can totally relate! I live in Jacksonville, with the same kind of issues eating local. Many restaurants in my town can give you the (rough) recipe and i build my calorie counts from that. I'm also lucky that a few of the local restaurants have their own printed nutritional guides if you ask for them :)
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I used to try to estimate what was in a dish, now I just log something similar in the database. If I think it's going to be particularly lardy I up my exercise that day (e.g. a run in the morning) and/or just eat lightly for the rest of the day. I have no problem skipping breakfast or having a light salad for lunch if I know I'm getting pizza in the evening ;)
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I just log a salad, that way my friends don't know how bad I eat!

I have a image to uphold
  • MaryLouRoyal
    MaryLouRoyal Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input, people!
  • csr3426
    csr3426 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm a food truck chaser, so I run into similar issues. I tend to try and find something in the database that I think matches most closely to what I ate (or at least find all the components to the dish and add them separately) and then assume that number is probably going to be off by a hundred calories or so. I'll also try to eat cleanly for the rest of the day to compensate for the splurge or will up the exercise that day (or the next!).