Really weird question concerning ellipticals O_o

Options
Ok.,.. so I've got a weird question. Does anyone else have the problem of their toes/feet going numb while they work out on an elliptical?? This happens to me, and it's so painful! Which really sucks, because if it wasn't for this problem, I could run on that machine all day.

If anyone has tips to help stop this, please please please! let me know. Thanks!

Replies

• mama050709
    mama050709 Posts: 100
    Options
    Yes!! I asked a friend who is a work out freak lol, and she said to get some gel inserts for your shoes and make sure you wiggle your toes every 10 minutes :)
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    my gym instructor also said try and keep your heels pressed down rather than running toe to heel. :)
  • danielle4992
    danielle4992 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    yep! i just wiggle them and it goes away.. i kinda clench my toes subconciously while running and doing the elliptical... sucks
  • noble1987
    noble1987 Posts: 132
    Options
    What footwear do you use while running sweet? I'm assuming you wear trainers and not stilletos he he, but trainers that are actual 'Running' trainers will help circulation 100%. If you dont already use 'running' trainers, tis well worth the investment.

Never give up

Claire x
  • mrsyatesy
    mrsyatesy Posts: 173
    Options
    I agree - it's because you have the muscles tensed, usually meaning you're running through your toes not your heel.
    I get this when I run, not on the elliptical - and I have to make a conscious effort to make sure I "unclench" the muscles / toes and then it goes away.
    Enjoy!
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    I also find that going backwards as well as forwards means i run on my heels more and therefore don't get this problem as much/ it goes away if its happeneing..
  • renae5
    renae5 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Yep, happens to me horribly... same advice everyone else is giving you, as soon as the first sign of tingling occurs... start wiggling those toes and wake them back up!
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    glad you asked--this happens to me too, usually at around 40 minutes or so. I just changed shoes to more of a cross-trainer shoe and it helps considerably.

I had wondered about what was best--making sure your heels were firmly planted or up--based on responses here, sounds like firmly planted is the way to go. thanks all.
  • Salbags
    Salbags Posts: 8
    Options
    Hey
    Some ellipticals have variable stride length and if you've got it set too long or short, this might add to the problem. Mine has three positions - have a play and see if that helps at all
    x
  • p1nkpr1ncess
    p1nkpr1ncess Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    This happens to me all the time! I was starting to worry that there was somthing wrong with my right leg as it only happens in that foot!

Glad I'm not the only one! Will try wiggling my toes a bit more as it often forces me to stop my workout earlier than planned!
    -x-x-
  • ChrisWag
    ChrisWag Posts: 169
    Options
    Same thing happens to me. I have an elliptical at home, so I actually started wearing old Navy flip flops (which are really cushy) and it stopped happening as much. Also if I make an effort to stay flat footed the entire stride, not lifting my heel up then it reduces the problem as well......
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    OMG! I am so glad you posted this, as Y E S, this happens to me every time I am on the elliptical. IT is really bothersome as I feel like I could go all day on that machine except for this nuisance. I have purchased great shoes, try to wear well cushioned socks, but it still happens, so just have to keep wiggling my toes a lot! S T R A N G E occurrence isn't it?
  • lucifa73
    lucifa73 Posts: 110
    Options
    Try going backwards. This pushes your weight through your heel more and frees up your toes. It also targets the leg/bum muscles differently so gives the routine a boost.
  • shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I hate when this happens, I switched sneakers and it did the trick
  • abricklin
    abricklin Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    this used to happen to me and as soon as I started keeping my heal down NONSTOP it went away and I have never had that problem again, EVER.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I have that problem everyday. I think its mostly from pressing down near my toes instead of putting more of the pressure on the heels. My brother who is basically my trainer asked me to run for him and he noticed how I ran with my feet and said I need to focus on landing heel to toe. Probably same point with the elliptical.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    This happens to me as well. As the others have said, you need to land on your heel, but I never think about it until my feet are asleep. What I do to wake them up is an exaggerated heel to toe movement where I actually pick up my toes and only push down with my heels, almost as if you are keeping your feet flat as you go around. Feels weird running this way, but it works.
  • Megume
    Megume Posts: 74
    Options
    Wow! I'm so glad that I'm not the only one. Thank you all for your wonderful responses. I'm gonna have to get some new shoes and change up the direction I'm peddling.

Thanks again all! <3
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I also find that going backwards as well as forwards means i run on my heels more and therefore don't get this problem as much/ it goes away if its happeneing..

Me too..