Interesting Thought for the Day

Options
2»

Replies

• emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I make the sides for my boyfriend. He doesn't eat vegetables, only meat, rice, and potatoes, and beer... And skinny as a rail... d@mn him ;)
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Love it!!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Google cooking for two. Lots of resources out there. I know it can be a challenge. I cook for one.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with this also, but I have gotten used to eating more leftovers. I just space it out over several days so that I don't go over my calories but I also don't have to throw it away. I also need to work on cooking smaller portions because it's just me and my bf also so there usually is a lot of food leftover.
  • smithed812
    Options
    Always good to get a new perspective, thanks!
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Surplus food in my house isn't regarded as left overs, but pre-prepared meals. I dish the food neatly into plastic containers while serving the meal.
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Such an interesting perspective.

I was always raised to 'clean my plate' and to not waste food. When I started making changes, one of the first things I had to do was to change these views.
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't agree with this. Many of you have pointed out the "starving kids in Africa/Ethiopia/Guatemala" thing (it was China for me) and yes, this is a cliche. But that doesn't make it untrue. And honestly, these people aren't in some far-away country, they're in your own backyard. Food disparity is a very, very real thing. There are actually people in your very town or city who haven't had a bite to eat today because they've had to choose between feeding themselves and feeding their children or paying the rent. As an increasingly poor student, I'm not that far from this.

I don't want to sound heavy, I'm not usually one to lecture. But losing weight doesn't have to mean literally dumping food in the garbage because you don't want it in your belly. Get over it and eat leftovers - it's the same damn food you ate last night. Make smaller portions - isn't that the real way to lose weight anyway? Eating smaller portions? Turn it into a new meal. Give it away.

Seriously, the LEAST you can do to help others who can't afford food is to take the small amount of time it takes to figure out how much food you'll actually eat, make only that much, and donate any other food or money you would spend on that food to someone who needs it. Isn't that an insanely better idea than throwing it in the trash and convincing yourself not to feel bad about it because now it's easier to meet your calorie goal?

Crazyness.

ETA: You all should send me your addresses, I'll get in touch with the homeless shelters in your town and let them know to line up at your door at supper time; the eatin'll be good tonight.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    You can either "waste" food or "waist" food. The choice is all yours!
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't agree with this. Many of you have pointed out the "starving kids in Africa/Ethiopia/Guatemala" thing (it was China for me) and yes, this is a cliche. But that doesn't make it untrue. And honestly, these people aren't in some far-away country, they're in your own backyard. Food disparity is a very, very real thing. There are actually people in your very town or city who haven't had a bite to eat today because they've had to choose between feeding themselves and feeding their children or paying the rent. As an increasingly poor student, I'm not that far from this.

I don't want to sound heavy, I'm not usually one to lecture. But losing weight doesn't have to mean literally dumping food in the garbage because you don't want it in your belly. Get over it and eat leftovers - it's the same damn food you ate last night. Make smaller portions - isn't that the real way to lose weight anyway? Eating smaller portions? Turn it into a new meal. Give it away.

Seriously, the LEAST you can do to help others who can't afford food is to take the small amount of time it takes to figure out how much food you'll actually eat, make only that much, and donate any other food or money you would spend on that food to someone who needs it. Isn't that an insanely better idea than throwing it in the trash and convincing yourself not to feel bad about it because now it's easier to meet your calorie goal?

Crazyness.

ETA: You all should send me your addresses, I'll get in touch with the homeless shelters in your town and let them know to line up at your door at supper time; the eatin'll be good tonight.

No offense to your post, I understand where you are coming from, but there is no way I'm going to encourage any person to come to my house to eat my 2 cups of left over mashed potatoes (est 520 calories).

Plus this post was supposed to help people who eat things they didn't intend to eat because of a compulsive need. Suggesting they eat their left overs to not be wasteful is not helpful to them or to world hunger. Suggesting they throw away unwanted/unable to be repurposed food and make a donation to end hunger is helpful.
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options

Crazyness.

No offense to your post, I understand where you are coming from, but there is no way I'm going to encourage any person to come to my house to eat my 2 cups of left over mashed potatoes (est 520 calories).

Plus this post was supposed to help people who eat things they didn't intend to eat because of a compulsive need. Suggesting they eat their left overs to not be wasteful is not helpful to them or to world hunger. Suggesting they throw away unwanted/unable to be repurposed food and make a donation to end hunger is helpful.

Which is exactly what I said. I was pretty obviously joking about sending homeless people to your house for leftovers. I said that you should donate uncooked food you don't eat (pastas, canned foods, veggies, fruit, anything really) to a food bank or the money you would spend on that food rather than throwing it in the garbage. Which is what you then repeated.

Suggesting they throw away their food and make a donation is fine, but how many of the people you encourage to feel good about waste are actually going to make a donation? I would bet you encouraged a lot of waste and sent 0 people to their local food bank to make a donation.