Crossfit & Pregnancy

Options
So found this article today and think it is interesting.... http://www.ivillage.com/pregnant-weightlifter-causes-controversy/6-a-547610?obref=obnetwork

I personally don't have a strong opinion one way or another as I can see the pros and cons. I myself have done a bootcamp at a crossfit gym and will be starting an actual crossfit course next week but from everything I have heard the workouts seem intense. I guess my biggest thought/reaction to this was.... WAY TO GO! She is intense and I wouldn't mind being able to do that.

Replies

• junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    There is no reason she shouldn't be doing this especially if she was working out before pregnancy. I am 13 weeks preggers and my doctor told me I can continue with my regular routine. I don't understand why people seem to think that pregnant women are supposed to become sedentary and gain tons of weight.

I will only gain about 20lbs during this pregnancy and will lose 14-16 in delivery.
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    As long as she is healthy and the baby is ok its fine. As long as she gets the all clear then I don't see the problem. She probably has modified it from what shes use to anyway.

Edited for typo
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    She's beautiful to ... cow lol
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Everyone has an opinion of course. But I think this is incredible. Go her!

I read someone's response on facebook, I think, that said something along the lines of, "we should be more critical of the mom's who eat poorly and don't exercise during pregnancy, than this women". I couldn't agree more.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    As long as she brings her common sense with her!
  • yoovie
    Options
    She's beautiful to ... cow lol

wtf
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    People were all up in arms about this and it made national news a few weeks ago. It's silly. A lot of women use pregnancy as an excuse to eat whatever they want and lay around. There is no reason why you can't get up and do the same things you were doing prior to getting pregnant. She had already been in shape and doing Crossfit, had she not been and decided to start it when she was pregnant, it would be a different story but those were conditions her body was already used to, pregnancy or not. You're always supposed to contact your doctor before you start any crazy new exercise plan but this wasn't new for her and it works, so, you go girl!
  • yoovie
    Options
    This isn't crossfit - and its a lot heavier. this chick is my hero.

2z58vpw.gif
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    If your body is used to the exercise, and you don't have complications in the pregnancy, my view is why not? As long as you're listening to your body and toning it down when needed.

Also, I remember listening to an interview with her before on this. She is used to lifting 190lbs pre-pregnancy. Currently, she doesn't lift more than 70lbs, and the controversial picture of her doing an overhead squat is actually only with 45lbs. It looks like more but I'm going to assume it's not an olympic bar, and the plates are bumper plates. Compared to what she was lifting before, that is nothing, and nobody apart from her Dr should be telling her what she can/can't be doing.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    It angers me. She is really selfish. She could take that money she is spending to go to a crossfit gym and have that kids college paid for before he was out of elementary school.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    It angers me. She is really selfish. She could take that money she is spending to go to a crossfit gym and have that kids college paid for before he was out of elementary school.

There's a lot of good that comes from paying for college yourself... Just sayin...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    There is no reason she shouldn't be doing this especially if she was working out before pregnancy. I am 13 weeks preggers and my doctor told me I can continue with my regular routine. I don't understand why people seem to think that pregnant women are supposed to become sedentary and gain tons of weight.

I agree with every word of ^this

I will only gain about 20lbs during this pregnancy and will lose 14-16 in delivery.

And here I wonder how you can predict the future. Are you Nostradamus?
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

There's a lot of good that comes from paying for college yourself... Just sayin...

What? You mean kids actually work and do school at the same time? Then PAY for it? What century are you living in lady.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Damn right, brother!!! I mean, what is she even doing in a Crossfit box when she should be making sandwiches in the kitchen? And bonus points to you for assuming the kid would be a boy. Because if not a boy, why even waste money on higher education, amirite?

xjS8Zl5.gif
  • teresa77447
    Options
    I don't have an issue with staying healthy while pregnant. You should work out some, but I personally would not take a chance like that while being pregnant. I just see to many what if situtations there. Accidents do happen even to those who are experienced in the gym. Of course something could happen outside the gym as well . I just would not want to put myself in a situtation where my child could possibly be hurt.

I'm sure my response will get some harsh responses from others. We all have our own opinions.
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I did Body Pump several times a week and distance biked (50-100+ miles) through my last pregnancy. (Well, had to stop biking at about 8.5 months...)

But I lifted right on through, in Body Pump class the night before I went into labor. The midwife had only gotten to our house maybe 20 minutes before our son was born--because my labor was fast, and easy, that I didn't feel the need to call her until then! I recovered quickly, even served a birthday brunch in our house the morning he was born. :-) All throughout my pregnancy my midwife gave me the "green light" to keep exercising hard and I do believe it paid off with a fast and low-pain delivery, speedy recovery, and quick bounce-back to my pre-pregnancy weight.

I am currently pregnant again (14 weeks) and am upping my lifting routine again. It is so important to have a well conditioned and muscular foundation! It makes pregnancy a lot more tolerable, and there is nothing better than getting to your pre-pregnancy body faster than all your non-lifting and also pregnant friends!! I recommend heavy weight lifting through pregnancy--if it makes you nervous only use machines or lift with a spotter!
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options

Wow I don't know how you can predict this but it is ok to gain more :) I was super lean before I got pregnant and was super lean the entire time working out till I delivered and still gained the healthy 25-30. Half of it was gone after about a week... but it does take time. I got back into the bikini at 10 weeks post baby... Hoping the same thing this baby also....

As long as this lady stays healthy and listens to her body she will rock it! Good luck to you also in your pregnancy I hope it goes as planned :)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with exercising during pregnancy as long as you use common sense and realize that your pregnant body isn't going to act the same way as your non-pregnant body, even if you don't have a huge belly. The loosening of joints in response to hormones can really get women into trouble.

There's also nothing wrong with not exercising during pregnancy. I worked out throughout my first pregnancy and gained 30 lbs and lost the weight almost right off the bat. My second pregnancy I gained over 50 lbs, because of complications that limited my mobility and put my health and the health of my baby at risk, and I'm still fighting to get the weight off. I'm sure there were people who saw me and thought I was a lazy slob who wanted to sit around and eat cake, and they are just as misguided as the ones who criticize women for exercising. As long as the woman and her doctor are ok with how her pregnancy is going, it's none of your business.

I will say there seems to be a disturbing trend encouraging women to have the skinniest pregnancy ever and be back in their pre-pregnancy clothes within a week. You see it a lot with celebrities and the media, but there was an article today about a blogger who posted about being in her pre-pregnancy body four days after giving birth. It's not a freaking contest. You're not a better person or better mother because you had an awesome pregnancy.
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I am currently 7 months pregnant doing crossfit 4x a week still... nothing wrong with staying active
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    tagging