It's not enough?!

Options
I was just talking to a friend about my weight loss so far and the fact that I need to start getting some exercise and strength training to tone up. I told her I had dug out some Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds DVD's and told her I was going to start doing them, starting with a mile since, let's face it...I'm out of shape!! She proceeded to tell me that the WATP DVD's are worthless and that they would do me no good. I'd love to hear some thoughts on this! I was all set to go home tonight and pop in a DVD...I know I enjoy doing them and that I will work up a sweat. Should I be doing something else?

Thank you all,

Amber

Replies

• TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Whatever gets you moving ... Once you build up your fitness level, you can do something a bit more strenuous, but for now (just starting out or getting back into things) it's a good start ...

ETA: Ignore your friend and do what YOU enjoy.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great starting place! Better than doing nothing, once you build up some fitness and tolerance then add in some new things!
  • ractrev
    ractrev Posts: 426
    Options
    If you have something you can and will do with some enjoyment, how can that be a bad thing????

Do what you want, just doing it will be a good thing.

Good Luck Friend!
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy them and work up a sweat, then GO FOR IT! Moving is the most important part of exercise! Lifting you're moving, Running you're moving, Aerobics you're moving, get moving. Now as you build up endurance, you should definitely push yourself but how far and hard is up to you!

Go Go Go!!!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Anything is better than nothing. But conversely, no matter what you're doing, there's probably something "better" you could be doing.

At this point, I'd suggest you just get moving. Make exercise part of your weekly routine. Then down the road you can worry about what you're doing.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    NEVER, ever take advice from anyone that tells you any type of exercise is worthless.
  • rhileyschubbygranny
    Options
    So your walking DVD. It is better than nothing at all and sitting on the couch. She should be supportive of you just moving your body. Back in the 80's Susan Powter (sp?) in her book said that is how she started getting in shape...by walking to the tree down the block.
  • ah327
    ah327 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments! I feel better already. I always figured starting out with something I enjoyed doing would be the best bet...but I let myself doubt what I already knew. So glad I can come here and get good advice!

Thanks again!
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I have several of Leslie's DVD's, and if I put my all into them, I can definitely work up a sweat. There's nothing wrong with these DVD's. In fact, I think they are perfect for many people who are just getting started, and for people who need low impact exercise for whatever reason. You can do as much as you want & you can adjust your intensity as you get better. As you become more fit, depending on your goals, you may decide to tackle something more difficult. But for starting out? Do it and forget what your friend said.