Oh good GOD.

Options
13»

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Serious question here: Why havent I DROPPED DEAD yet?

Probably because a huge amount of the food entries on here are incomplete as regards micro nutrients.
    Even macro nutrients - there's even plenty of meat entries in the database with no protein.
  • EdwardNortonFan43
    EdwardNortonFan43 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hello again. :D

Well all is well with weight loss and staying under cals. But today out of curiosity I looked at my vitamins. WOW.

I hit zero more than half of the time...for all of them. ( apart from fiber and calcium ) the most worrying for me is the lack of Iron as I have been losing hair since 2011.

Anyway I'm looking into multi vitamins but I've read recently that they are actually considered BAD for you. Would you agree?

I intend to take in more veg ( hate fruit, but may make smoothies ) as this has been a major wake up call. I think this journey is leading to small steps every month to becoming " Healthy ". :-) My diet is still atrocious by most members standards but I like what I like!

Question: Do you take Multivitamins? Should I?

When I remember, I take iron and a multivitamin.
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Wonder how you are doing on the essential fatty acids and the fat soluble vitamins like D & E?

If either of those are " bad " fatty vitamins I can assure you Im mostly likely hitting 300%! lol
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    If you hair is falling out... from, malnutrition? I would sugest you see a dr that can refer you to a nutritionist. You can get advice from mfp, but I consider hair falling out to be really bad, so I would see the dr, if you are able. You can have chips n choc, everyday if you want, but be sure to add some to your dinner everynighy and lunches and breakfasts when you can/feel like it. If it were ME, id get off the supplements and go to a dr. Yout hair falling out could be due to something else entirely... Sorry dont mean to push but that doesnt sound good...
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I take daily a Multivitamin (which happens to be a prenatal), B-complex, Calcium, MSM, Folic Acid, and in the winter a vit D as well as I work an office job. The only one out of those I need to watch is the D as it is Fat soluble. The rest are water soluble. You end up peeing out anything you don't absorb if it is water soluble. I say go for it, if you feel better then it is helping! I know I feel better when I take them.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Have you had your iron levels checked by your doctor? I wouldn't up my iron unless the blood work showed that you needed it.
    I say this because I thought I was low on iron and took supplements with iron and ended up sick. Turned out I had high iron levels which has the same symptoms of low iron. After further testing I am now diagnosed with hereditary hemochromatosis. TOO much iron can cause cirrhosis of the liver which can progress to liver cancer. Excess liver collects in your organs and can cause organ failure and death.

I can not eat any red meat, can't eat any foods cooked on an cast iron skillet, no more raw shell fish because the bacteria in raw shell fish thrive in an iron rich environment... and I have to go have a pint of blood removed once a week to get my iron levels down because removing blood is the only way to remove excessive iron.

Even if you don't have the gene for hereditary hemochromatosis you can have iron over load from vitamins that contain iron. So get your blood checked first before you take supplements. Your hair could be falling out due to thyroid issues, too much iron, too little iron, or just a very poor crappy diet.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Wonder how you are doing on the essential fatty acids and the fat soluble vitamins like D & E?

If either of those are " bad " fatty vitamins I can assure you Im mostly likely hitting 300%! lol

what she means is that those are vitamins that need to be ingested with fats in order to be absorbed. i take my multivitamin with food for this reason.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I've had issues with anemia and hair loss in the past, too. I don't tolerate vitamins very well.

I do a few things to try to keep this under control (have been very bad these past few weeks, just undereating generally due to stress, so don't go by my diary lately, but usually it's better.)

1) Get enough biotin from dietary sources - one whole egg a day is enough for an adult woman. It's important to eat the whole egg because egg whites if at all undercooked will bind with the biotin in your body and cause a deficiency. (If you eat a lot of egg whites, this could be the culprit for your hair loss.)

2) I took the sugar tracker out of my dairy and replaced it with Vitamin C. If I consume the US RDA or more of vitamin c every day, this usually comes from fruits and veggies that provide a lot of other necessary vitamins. Vitamin C also improves iron absorption.

- Hope that helps!
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Options
    in terms of supplementation, vitamins for the most part should come from foods. variety is the spice of life, as is green vegetables. if you have metabolic issues then you really need a doctor to monitor you for either deficiencies or toxicities.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Eat a half tin of smoked oysters and some artichoke hearts.
    Then look at your iron report.
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Options
    Serious question here: Why havent I DROPPED DEAD yet?

Probably because a huge amount of the food entries on here are incomplete as regards micro nutrients.
    Even macro nutrients - there's even plenty of meat entries in the database with no protein.
    as are food labels incomplete or inaccurate.
  • sandra80
    sandra80 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I have been losing hair since i had my kids so I take a multivitamin and i take biotin daily. it helps.
  • AnnaMarieDinVa
    AnnaMarieDinVa Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I take the supplements that my doctor has asked me to take. But, I also eat as healthy as I can, as my doctor tells me that I still need to eat healthy. I eat one fruit a day at most, but mostly because I don't like sweet things. I LOVE vegetables. 10 years ago, I would not believe the amount of vegetables I eat every day now. And that I LOVE them. I usually eat them raw, in various ways. Do you live near a Trader Joes? At the Trader Joes that I go to, they have food samples (recipes made with foods at their store) and give out the recipes, every day, all day. About once a week I obtain a new recipe that becomes a family favorite. (Since I'm a vegetarian, I don't eat the recipes they make with meat in them.) I shop there two to three times a week, because I am always running out of fresh vegetables. (Next year, I'm planning on planting a small garden, I would save $$$) And I have to say, I've never felt better in my adult life, and my doctor says that my blood work looks great. Hope this helps!!
  • bkyoun
    bkyoun Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Per my doctor's instructions, I take a multivitamin, fish oil, and resveratrol every day. I think it is good practice to make sure you are getting micronutrients and fatty acids although it shouldn't take the place of a healthy diet with plenty of lean protein, fruits, and vegetables.
  • AnnaMarieDinVa
    AnnaMarieDinVa Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Oh, one more thing! Many years ago, a friend got the shock of her life. Because she was too permissive with her son, and let him eat whatever he wanted, when he was 6 years old, he was diagnosed with malnutrition. Her pediatrician told her that if she could just get him to eat some whole wheat bread every day, his health would improve dramatically. Of course, she worked on protein, fruits, and vegetables, too, but that is advice worth considering. :) Good luck to you!!
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Thank you again, everyone. I will be taking my Hair Skin and Nails tonight for the first time in months, and wil be having Saag Masala which is a SMALL start. ( a little spinach cant hurt! )

Tomorrow comes the soup, fruit smoothie, cereal and I may even boil a few eggs tonight to have in the mornings.