The Final Nail in the HIIT EPOC Coffin

Options
2»

Replies

• Timothy1962
    Options
    Whenever has ANY diet or fitness program invented not given the public some line of BS to saying they have found some kind of "secret" in a workout or diet scientifically or otherwise ???? Anybody?

On a personal note.. I have seen in the feeds many who complain that hours of cardio isn't moving the scale for them in weight loss goals even while constantly lowering their calorie intake .. on the other hand I have not seen ONE who does HIT and weight lifting posting that they haven't been losing weight successfully or able to maintain their ideal weight and keep lean! HIT, weight lifting with intensity, and a cleaner diet HAS been working for me personally!
  • newmelady
    newmelady Posts: 132 Member
    Options

I have a funny feeling that I have read this article somewhere else about a month back when I was doing research on the pros and cons of HIIT. Oh yeah.............. HIIT does surely have some cons.:wink:

Ok! I get it...................OP has been quoting different articles and sites...............and I have read them all..............that's why it sounds so familiar.:smile:
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    This is what I've always felt was true. Do I think HIIT is good? Yes I do. Although I enjoy the benefit of burning extra calories during a workout, I don't workout to loose weight. I workout to be fit and able to do things I enjoy. I eat at a deficit to loose weight.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Good stuff. I had not seen anyone make the EPOC claim for quite awhile.

my old boss used to tout EPOC all the time. I'd never heard of it before last year.

Thankfully I didn't pay that much attention- logically whatever he was saying didn't jive. I LIKE HIIT workouts- I really do- they are great for my 'off' days when I don't have 4 hrs at the gym- so I just bang out 20 minutes of HIIT training and go home.
  • IronMikeFox
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I never bought into a lot of the HIIT claims. All I know is that they seem to work pretty well for me and I enjoy them. I can fit a lot of different movements in in a short period of time and it allows me to combine my strength and cardio training.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Wow, learned something today, thanks! (It was probably 8 years ago, but my trainer told me that HIIT was good for the "afterburn").

On the other hand, it does seem like HIIT is still a good idea, comparing steady state and HIIT workouts of the same duration, and helpful for other goals (as mentioned in the article).

Now my next question … I'm always hearing that lifting weights burns calories far longer after the workout than cardio. Is this even the same thing (the EPOC) and is it still valid?
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My personal experience with HIIT is that it makes me feel like I'm starving and I want to eat twice as much as if I do more traditional , longer periods of more moderate cardio. That made it extremely challenging to stick to my goal calories, and it feels like more of a struggle not to gain weight while I'm doing it, let alone actually lose weight.

It's good for me fitness-wise, but not good for me in terms of weight loss because it makes it much more of a challenge to keep my calorie intake under control. And it's not like I don't eat enough normally - I'm usually 1800-2200 calories a day (more on long bike ride days, etc) and feel satisfied, but if I do HIIT, I want a lot more than than I burned and it doesn't add up.

Obviously it varies person to person. Now that I'm pretty much at my goal weight, I might play around with it a bit more, and see if adding a few of those high calorie intake days here and there works in maintenance.