Addicted to food, really?

Options

Replies

• sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    90% of the posts in this thread make me want to repeatedly bang my head against the wall.

hey, i have an idea-- let's start a thread on post partum depression, or on obsessive-compulsive disorder, or on pica, or on seasonal affective disorder, or on post-traumatic stress disorder, or on pyromania, or on borderline personality disorder... and invite ANYONE WHO HAS ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT IT BUT NO ACTUAL CLUE AS TO WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT to weigh in.

sounds brilliant!!!!!

its a free country, you can start whatever thread you choose..

If you do not like this one, then find another one...

did you seriously just start an argument with "its a free country"???

what are we, 12???
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I believe what you are suffering from is the same condition I suffered from...overeating...

Everyone who overeats is suffering from overeating.

The question is, why are they overeating?
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    OP I don't know. I personally do not have a food addiction. I've had cravings. I make poor food choices when I feel stressed.
    I LOVE ice cream. I could eat it every day. But I certainly don't have withdrawal symptoms when I don't have ice cream.

When I think of an addiction I think of ONE thing that someone has to have. Smoking, alcohol, pills.....
    So if someone has a food addiction do they crave/over eat only eat one food?
    Or is it that they just make poor food choices and oversize portions?
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options

At any rate, people who are addicted to food need to address the underlying issues before they're really going to be able to do anything about it. Treat the illness, not the symptom.

^^^^ This.
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Food addiction is very real, just the same as alcohol or drugs. If you go to the online site for OA, (http://www.therecoverygroup.org) and read their stories, then read some of the stories in the book "Alcoholics Anonymous", you can see striking similarities. The only difference is that OA's 'self medicate' using food, whereas AA's 'self medicate' using alcohol. Feel free to check out their site. I'll be more than happy to provide more info.

not rubbish . not garbage. not BS. addictions are REAL....
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options

At any rate, people who are addicted to food need to address the underlying issues before they're really going to be able to do anything about it. Treat the illness, not the symptom.

^^^^ This.

AGREED!!! the addiction is a symptom of a greater, underlying issue.
  • Bwroioadn
    Options
    Individuals are addicted to the chemicals created/released by the food. The emotional response some one gets to finishing a goal or failing at it. Is a cycle of chemical response. When you think of it on a chemical level, were all trying to get that fix. If individuals can be addicted to heroin why can't one be addicted to their emotional state.
  • maillemaker
    Options
    I imagine you eat other things along with it though else the stretch and density receptors in your stomach would not be satisfied and give you the 'full' feeling. Most processed foods have so many calories packed into such small volumes that by the time your stomachs built in receptors are satisfied you have eaten nearly double the amount of calories recommended. While if you are eating lots of higher fiber veggies with low calories and higher volumes then you will fill up your stomach without going overboard on excessive calories. Carbs, especially simple sugars, taste so good because to primitive humans they represented an excellent calorie source that was not readily available.

Exactly. If you eat calorie-dense foods like ice cream to satisfaction it is trivial to consume 1400+ calories in one sitting. That's one single container of Ben and Jerry's ice cream. And that was just the day's dessert.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Personally I refer to certain foods as 'binge triggers'.

There is certainly reliable research that shows the effects certain foods have on serotonin levels. If you eat something, and it changes your brain chemistry, there is always the possibility of self medicating with food and potential abuse. So while I'm not sure 'addiction' is the proper term, I understand where said people are coming from when they use it.
  • maillemaker
    Options
    It's not an addiction, it's a lack of self control. People don't have withdrawls from not eating one more oreo! It's an excuse because they can't control themselves. And before anyone jumps all over me for this, everyone on this site has had this problem at one point or another or we wouldn't be here. Some have just learned self control along the way...

You don't have withdrawal symptoms from not eating food because food addiction is a behavioral addiction not a physiological addiction.

This does not mean that if you put a plate of Oreo cookies in front of an addict they will find it very, very hard to only eat one Oreo cookie and leave the rest.

Yes, it is all about self-control. Every addiction is about self-control.
  • maillemaker
    Options
    Food addiction, if it were real, would be an extremely negative evolutionary trait and strongly selected against.

Which is exactly why it's not real.

How so? Our brains trigger reward mechanisms when we consume calorie-dense foods. This would be a positive evolutionary trait encouraging eating when high-value food is available.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    It's not an addiction, it's a lack of self control. People don't have withdrawls from not eating one more oreo! It's an excuse because they can't control themselves. And before anyone jumps all over me for this, everyone on this site has had this problem at one point or another or we wouldn't be here. Some have just learned self control along the way...

You don't have withdrawal symptoms from not eating food because food addiction is a behavioral addiction not a physiological addiction.

This does not mean that if you put a plate of Oreo cookies in front of an addict they will find it very, very hard to only eat one Oreo cookie and leave the rest.

So you're saying "food addicts" just don't want to stop eating?

I'll buy that.
  • maillemaker
    Options
    do you think that is more a mental thing or physical addiction?

The "mental thing" you are talking about is called a "behavioral addiction".
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    90% of the posts in this thread make me want to repeatedly bang my head against the wall.

hey, i have an idea-- let's start a thread on post partum depression, or on obsessive-compulsive disorder, or on pica, or on seasonal affective disorder, or on post-traumatic stress disorder, or on pyromania, or on borderline personality disorder... and invite ANYONE WHO HAS ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT IT BUT NO ACTUAL CLUE AS TO WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT to weigh in.

sounds brilliant!!!!!

its a free country, you can start whatever thread you choose..

If you do not like this one, then find another one...

did you seriously just start an argument with "its a free country"???

what are we, 12???

I did and I will ...

You are free to leave and not come back at any time you so desire...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I believe what you are suffering from is the same condition I suffered from...overeating...

Everyone who overeats is suffering from overeating.

The question is, why are they overeating?

I overate because I was an unhealthy SOB, and really did not care about what I was putting in me, and did not give a damn about working out...I thought working out was for "meatheads"...I mean I liked to get a Philly cheesesteak with mozzarella sticks and sometimes I would get a second cheesesteak LOL ...

Was I addicted to the cheese steak, or was it just an unhealthy way of eating, or was I lacking in willpower??? IDK ...which is I find this topic interesting...
  • ndj1979
    Options

So you're saying "food addicts" just don't want to stop eating?

I'll buy that.

Perhaps...I mean I could, and still can, eat a crap ton of food in one sitting. I am talking double cheeseburger with fries and some mozzarella sticks and maybe still be hungry, but I always got to a point where I was stuffed and wanted no more food.....Fast forward to now, I just do not eat that way except on very rare occasions...thanksgiving being one of them...
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    If an addiction is defined only by chemical dependence, how do you explain gambling addicts?

I think people self diagnose themselves with a food addiction far more often than it actually occurs. But for a real food addict, eating causes a rush of good feelings. It is different in that you won't go through withdrawal since you won't stop eating completely.

It's a bit silly to say "well I'm not an addict so no one is." I personally just like food but it's not my place to just dismiss what could easily be a real affliction.
  • maillemaker
    Options
    You know, there's a reason that medical and mental health professionals refer to "addiction" in the case of heroin and not in the case of food.

This is incorrect. There most certainly are medical and mental health professionals that refer to food addiction.

Binge eating is now a disorder listed in the DSM-V.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options

I overate because I was an unhealthy SOB, and really did not care about what I was putting in me, and did not give a damn about working out...I thought working out was for "meatheads"...I mean I liked to get a Philly cheesesteak with mozzarella sticks and sometimes I would get a second cheesesteak LOL ...

Was I addicted to the cheese steak, or was it just an unhealthy way of eating, or was I lacking in willpower??? IDK ...which is I find this topic interesting...

You weren't lacking in willpower because you said you didn't care about what you were putting in you. Willpower is forcing yourself to do, or not do, something against your own wishes. If you were eating two cheesesteaks and hating yourself for it even as you chewed (or regretted it so much afterwards that you considered barfing them up) and still couldn't control the compulsion, that might be addiction.
  • madworld1
    Options
    You know, there's a reason that medical and mental health professionals refer to "addiction" in the case of heroin and not in the case of food.

This is incorrect. There most certainly are medical and mental health professionals that refer to food addiction.

Binge eating is now a disorder listed in the DSM-V.

This. Thank you. This is my field.